DirectQ and external textures

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DirectQ and external textures

Maybe I'm missing something, but I can't figure out how MH's DirectQuake uses external textures. I have them setup for Darkplaces, and Enhanced GLQuake, but have no idea how to set up DirectQ, and there is no documentation that i can find, save digging through the code... Any help?
    SuperDuper Quake 3.0

this is what mine looks like,and my DM3 is fully snazzy looking / powerups look nice and animated healths / mega healths etc.

this damn thing keeps breaking my image :F and making it tiny WTF

<---here

as far as I know DirectQ is really smart and can load shit from almost anywhere. So I just tossed shit in and it worked ^_^
    Attached Files
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

just put the external texture paks (pk3 files) in your id1 directory. dq will pick them up and use them automatically. you can grab the qrp map and item textures here -- :: Quake Revitalization Project :: Downloads ::.

Comment

mindz - haha ... yep, you can "also" explode the paks into the id1 dir and that will work as well. this is good if you want to keep playing with individual items instead of an archive.

Comment

nope

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
          just put the external texture paks (pk3 files) in your id1 directory. dq will pick them up and use them automatically. you can grab the qrp map and item textures here -- :: Quake Revitalization Project :: Downloads ::.
          that's great for map textures, but i have a ton of custom model textures, and it doesn't seem to load any of those. any specific help?
          SuperDuper Quake 3.0

Comment

I would guess that DirectQ uses the DarkPlaces naming convention for .mdl textures and hopefully only supports that naming convention.

Say you have a shambler ...

DirectQ yes works! = quake\id1\progs\shambler.mdl_0.tga
            DirectQ won't work = quake\id1\textures\shambler_0.tga

That is ... if I am correct about DirectQ only supporting the DarkPlaces .mdl naming convention, which I think is true, but I'm not 100% on this. Maybe 70% certain.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Haha, would be nice to know. I just dumped the stuff as I found it inside pk3 file into textures folder and 95% of the stuff loads (DM3 is immaculate so the rest is trivial...)
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

yes, models are under progs (from source code):

if (CheckKnownContent (va ("%s/ID1/progs/*.mdl", quakedir))) return true;

remember that a pk3 file is just a zip file so you can use 7zip or so to create a progs dir, if not already there, and put stuff in there -- drag and drop. if you're working with pak files, you'll need pakscape. the link for it on this site is broken. i have it on my google drive here -- https://docs.google.com/open?id=0B-y...DF6MDVRajZUSTg.
                baker - can you fix the link and add it back ?

to avoid confusion, i suggest either exploding everything and working that way or work with pk3/pak files (these have to be in ascending order pak[0...N].pak). for instance, progs above can be in the dir id1/progs or in a pak/pk3 file as well.

Comment

Originally posted by killingtime187 View Post
                  yes, models are under progs (from source code):

if (CheckKnownContent (va ("%s/ID1/progs/*.mdl", quakedir))) return true;

remember that a pk3 file is just a zip file so you can use 7zip or so to create a progs dir, if not already there, and put stuff in there -- drag and drop. if you're working with pak files, you'll need pakscape. the link for it on this site is broken. i have it on my google drive here
                  Heh, you are an ocean of information.

Hondobondo has been modding for ages ... I bet he knows where pak files go and where .mdl live.
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Lol!

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                    Heh, you are an ocean of information.

Hondobondo has been modding for ages ... I bet he knows where pak files go and where .mdl live.
                    exactly. thanks baker. i'm running DP and it loads the model textures just fine, but not DirectQ. i guess i'll have to dig in the code
                    SuperDuper Quake 3.0

Comment

i had no idea you were a pro so i guess this is more of an engine question for MH.

Comment

I've tried getting an updated player model to work inside fn DirectQ for ages.

updated skin / or / model. It's the last peice of my "Fast and looks good" Quake.

Another thing we should keep in mind, is that MH has been doing tons of work and will hopefully be releasing officially a more modernized DX11/D3D11 DirectQ version. Maybe we can get some feature requests in before the buzzer !?

Check out the event notification while you are Alt Tabbed out of Quake in system tray. Epic feature!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qSIU2K49XE]DirectQ feature - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

mindz - way cool. which ver is that ? april or june release ?

Comment

april and beyond as far as I know, I requested a feature that let me know when someone arrived at a server, as in early 2012 I was always idling @ a cax server waiting on an opponent and I was alt tabbed

So its best notable use is your AFK doing other stuff alttabbed out of quake, so even conversations going on inside Quake are also displayed, and when people connect or disconnect. I've seen ragequits through it before

Comment

Working...
                            X