Clear All

• Qrack bugs and suggestions

SUGGESTIONS
    colored underwater fog and screen color tone
    always loop ambient sounds
    hud location and size selection
    quad damage glow blue dynamic light
    lightning gun dynamic end light
    vore, wizard and death kinght projectile & muzzleflash dynamic light options
    menu crosshair option
    menu powerup screenflash option
    menu old style liquid tex warp option
    selectable liquid texture scale
    selectable old style hud icons
    load models, maps and progs.dat from the game folders
    load cd music from game folders in mp3 format
    defaulting to 44khz
    portal textures visible underwater

BUGS
    muzzle flash interpolation fix
    explosions have no dynamic light
    powerup screen tone colors
    no music volume option
    save gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR" cvar in cfg
    underwater explosion sprite not visible above water
    more efficient bloom code ... lags game too much
    Last edited by Ranger; 01-22-2014, 06:41 PM.

thanks for your suggestions yet 90% is already available thru cvars
    im not home atm but i can repost a list of settings to enable all your wishes
    sprites not seen thru water require 2 things singleplayer and r_novis 2 or vised maps.
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      thanks for your suggestions yet 90% is already available thru cvars
      im not home atm but i can repost a list of settings to enable all your wishes
      sprites not seen thru water require 2 things singleplayer and r_novis 2 or vised maps.
      That's the first time I learned about r_novis 2.

/me modifies autoexec.cfg

I am always learning new things about Qrack.

Comment

r novis 2... got to check that

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger View Post
          SUGGESTIONS
          colored underwater fog and screen color tone
          gl_waterfog 1
          v_contentblend 1
          gl_cshiftpercent 50
          but true the color of such should be based on the color of the water texture.

always loop ambient sounds
          Hmm not sure i understand this. Standing at rl on dm3 with ambient_fade 100 ambient_level 100 i continuously hear the water sound looping.

hud location and size selection
          cl_sbar_style 0 = netquake 1 = quakeworld
          in video options the console size adjusts the hud size
          you can also resize the text if you bring down the console hold ctrl and scroll your wheel mouse, if you use ctrl and backspace it will autosize the text to be close to what old glquake (640x480) looked like. which means no more tiny-tiny-unreadable console when defaulting to native 1920x1080 resolutions
          quad damage glow blue dynamic light
          This is two sided.
          A.> if you want your player glowing blue when he has quad
          you need to add self.effects = (self.effects | 64); to your progs.dat
          and make sure r_powerupglow 1 = colored 2 = normal 0 = off
          b.> if you mean you want the actual quad model to glow this would require editing the progs.dat. I will not add glowing powerups dynamically as this is considered a cheat in netQuake. QW has this and its just lame.
          lightning gun dynamic end light
          r_glowlg 1

vore, wizard and death kinght projectile & muzzleflash dynamic light options
          hmm thought these had particle effects. need to test.
          menu crosshair option
          this is present in the multiplayer / setup menu
          [/quote]

menu powerup screenflash option
          load models, maps and progs.dat from the game folders
          changing gamedir should do this. This is true if using -game in the commandline.

load cd music from game folders in mp3 format
          not supported atm, though qrack uses fmod which does support mp3.
          I did however get midi files working

defaulting to 44khz
          sounds like crap with default quake sounds.

portal textures visible underwater
          hmm need to test.

BUGS
          muzzle flash interpolation fix
          ya, some models look funny.

explosions have no dynamic light
          hmm mine do. Qrack version? r_dynamic 1?

powerup screen tone colors
          gl_cshiftpercent 50
          v_contentblend 1
          v_quadcshift 1
          v_pentcshift 1
          v_ringcshift 1
          v_suitcshit 1

no music volume option
          bgmvolume (broke as in normal quake)

save gl_texturemode "GL_NEAREST_MIPMAP_LINEAR" cvar in cfg
          doesnt it??

also what version of qrack are u using?

Comment

Thank you R00k for taking your time and actively visit the Quake forums regularly.
            That is one of the biggest advantages:
            You and Spike are very close to the Quake community and always answer questions concerning your engines patiently.
            Not all engine coders act pro-active like this.
            I wanted to take the opportunity and write these lines.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
              Thank you R00k for taking your time and actively visit the Quake forums regularly.
              That is one of the biggest advantages:
              You and Spike are very close to the Quake community and always answer questions concerning your engines patiently.
              Not all engine coders act pro-active like this.
              I wanted to take the opportunity and write these lines.

Thank you.
              Yes, I agree with Seven. The biggest reason I have stayed with Qrack is because R00k is always around to hear our suggestions and/or problems with the engine. It really means something to be able to have bugs fixed in a timely manner. Some other engines I've tried for other games have had the same bugs for years, and the developers never listen to people about the problems they have (people stopped using those engines as a result).

So yes, thanks R00k.

Comment

In that other code you maintain:

Remove GL spam protection.
                Restore SG original damage.
                Restore SSG original damage.
                Upload it to all active servers.

At least the GL for now.
                Thanks!
                Life is Grand!

Comment

fyi using DirectQ as reference point

gl_waterfog 1
                  v_contentblend 1
                  gl_cshiftpercent 50
                  but true the color of such should be based on the color of the water texture.
                  It works now, but Muddy water has blue underwater fog etc, and all the fog is too colorful (see DirectQ underwater for comparison)

Hmm not sure i understand this. Standing at rl on dm3 with ambient_fade 100 ambient_level 100 i continuously hear the water sound looping.
                  I meant any wave sounds in the ambience folder should always loop regardless of the wave file, like in DirectQ. With my custom sounds in Qrack, the console shows 'sound/ambience/fire1.wav not looped'

cl_sbar_style 0 = netquake 1 = quakeworld
                  in video options the console size adjusts the hud size
                  you can also resize the text if you bring down the console hold ctrl and scroll your wheel mouse, if you use ctrl and backspace it will autosize the text to be close to what old glquake (640x480) looked like. which means no more tiny-tiny-unreadable console when defaulting to native 1920x1080 resolutions
                  the hud is in the left corner of the screen; should be an option to move it to the center.

This is two sided.
                  A.> if you want your player glowing blue when he has quad
                  you need to add self.effects = (self.effects | 64); to your progs.dat
                  and make sure r_powerupglow 1 = colored 2 = normal 0 = off
                  b.> if you mean you want the actual quad model to glow this would require editing the progs.dat. I will not add glowing powerups dynamically as this is considered a cheat in netQuake. QW has this and its just lame.
                  I mean the dynamic light emitted from a powerup, like quad, is not colored (should be blue etc like in DirectQ)

r_glowlg 1
                  This just makes the lg glow blue, I mean the bolt beam itself should emit light (DirectQ)

hmm thought these had particle effects. need to test.
                  The particles are fine, I meant the fx options - eg toggle colored muzzle flashes, toggle emitting colored lighting - eg hknight fireballs should emite golden light

changing gamedir should do this. This is true if using -game in the commandline.
                  Still only reads files from paks only
                  DirectQ reads from folders, and reads game music in mp3 format from the folders as well

not supported atm, though qrack uses fmod which does support mp3.
                  I did however get midi files working
                  folder music support will be added though right?

hmm need to test.
                  See e4m7

ya, some models look funny.
                  It would be really cool if the interpolation fixing could also be done on grunt/player muzzleflashes etc - an algorithm could be used where model objects which are mainly full bright colors would be exempt from interpolation

hmm mine do. Qrack version? r_dynamic 1?
                  r_dynamic 1, but only the rocket trails emit light
                  ...correction, the dynamic light from explosions needs to be amped up 2-3 times; they're barely visible

doesnt it??
                  Turning off texture filtering via menu actually enabled this to be done ingame, but the setting reverts to bilinear on exit

also what version of qrack are u using?

BUGS
                  Qrack doesn't generate the default keybinds/controls if you delete its cfg

gl_waterfog 1, v_contentblend 1 etc revert to the default settings when Qrack exits

square world shadows ... also should have an option to choose old style world shadows . also it seems to be a source of major system resource consumption

Also even with bloom off, and on classic gfx settings, Qrack seems to lag/use an unusual amount of resources compared to other engines on classic settings

lastly dynamic lights look a weird/dim - see Joequake, DirectQ for comparison

SUGGESTIONS
                  DirectQ/Half Life style mouse directed noclip
                  simple blob-style shadows for models option
                  Last edited by Ranger; 01-23-2014, 06:47 PM.

Comment

ok i appreciate your suggestions. ill try to work out these issuse promptly.

armor i never changed the damage to weapons they're default id stuff for both shotguns. unless u mean the haste rune. the gl spam protection was for hpb sanity which is useless now; i agree. in cax 1 nade costs 2 rockets no one minds that. but for ctf that would not work. i reduced the haste fire rate to x1.8 as it too was spammy for hbs and too powerful with quad. reverting runes to 3wave defaults reenforces the desire by many to just vote them off.

Comment

r00k, I found a bug in Qrack's server list. Not sure if this has been fixed, as I'm using an older version, but here is the bug:

When you press T to test a server for players, it removes the port information from the server in the server list.

Comment

hmm, ok ill check it out. I have the day off tomorrow.
                        I need to completely clean up the serverlist code. plus add the ability to have favorites.

Comment

R00k, I'm getting a strange crash followed by an error message in Windows when I try to run several maps. The error says something like, "Ed_loadFromFile: found B when expecting {". I found that it has something to do with the maps ENT file, although I can't tell you exactly what. Whenever I decompile the ENT with Qbsp.exe and recompile, the issue is magically fixed.

This problem only occurs in Qrack, and so far I've found three maps that crash:

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...ayer/jrdm2.zip
                          https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...er/razzdm1.zip
                          https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...er/razzdm2.zip

Edit: I just confirmed that this issue does not exist with build 3927 (Nov. 26 2012). So this bug was introduced after that point.
                          Last edited by Lightning_Hunter; 02-25-2014, 04:37 PM.

Comment

I have recently added ".ent" file support, it might be possible some files dont use the same syntax. I should double check that...

Comment

I found that some of these maps only crash if they are the first maps loaded. The map Lfdm1v11.bsp, for example, does not crash if I load something else first. If I launch Qrack and try to load it first thing, the game crashes with a similar error I mentioned above.

https://www.quaddicted.com/files/map...r/lfdm1v11.bsp

Comment

Working...
                              X