Darkplaces and 5.1 Audio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    FTE's menus could use some streamlining, making the commonly used options easier to get to instead of buried

(Gamma? Buried in a submenu? Contrast? Buried in a submenu? It's small things like that ---- most other engines have that in front of your face in the Options menu.)
    fte is very powerfull and tehre is alot of features,
    lightning options, sound options, particle options there is a lot stuff there.

the default menu is very complex (since the engine is very complex ), for me is strange because it has many things, i do not understand many things... what is "content switching" on particle submenu for example, etc... Darkplaces has a more limited menu , and thus is more "user friendly" to me.

is not a criticism ( you can make the menu you want in menu.dat ) But subjectively , for me, is uncomfortable. I said , is for " me" is not an objective matter . something objective is the performance of FTEs compared to darkplaces .
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

If FTE is too complex you can always put on some training wheels and use AfterQuake.

lmao@do as I say not as I do

you finally told a funny joke +1

IMO - DP renders like shit. Everything looks like plastic toys. I like the clean "dreamy" renders FTE provides.
      Last edited by MadGypsy; 09-01-2016, 07:43 AM.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
        I have the solution to all your problems. Are you ready for my awesome solution?

Use FTE. If you want superior performance, use a superior product. Don't you think it's a little crappy that the author of FTE is trying to help you with your Darkplaces and the Darkplaces author is probably not even aware of your question? Support the people that support you.[SNIP]
        Ok, done, thanks for the suggestion.

Originally posted by Spike View Post
        Do as I say... not as I do...

but yeah, if all else fails, try FTE's wasapi support.

Some settings. Make sense of them yourself.
        there's other cvars, but they're kinda boring.
        the wasapi cvars need to be set via the console, but the other ones should be in the menus somewhere.
        Code:
        snd_device wasapi //if you have multiple devices, choose the device to use via the menus (you can actually normally list multiple devices if you desire by manually tweaking the cvar, but few people will want/need that).
        snd_numspeakers 6 //
        snd_khz 48 //for dvd quality, though most quake sounds are 11khz... still the hardware might care.
        snd_doppler 1 //enable doppler effects. lul.

seta wasapi_exclusive 1 //prevents other programs from mixing audio on this device, giving lower latency and full control over the hardware audio formats.
        seta wasapi_forcechannels 1 //explicitly override the audio format. if 0 you'll just get your system-default channels.
        seta wasapi_buffersize 0.01 //number of seconds to pre-buffer, to cover mixing/threading/hardware latencies. Increase if you get stutters.
        snd_restart //the command to actually start her up. not needed if the above stuff is saved into your config
        cfg_save //use these settings next time you restart FTE.
        with wasapi+directsound, FTE runs the sound mixing on another thread so you won't get any stuttering due to abusive rtlights dropping the framerate 1fps.

Alternatively, if you're using openal for audio in doom3, then you can try openal in fte too. Its actually the default right now anyway.
        Thanks for your help Spike. I tried and it works out of the box without the need of console commands: the rear channels play sounds that are behind the player and the subwoofer just... subwoofs. Even too much honestly, I need to figure it out how to tone it down a bit.

I downloaded QRP Textures and normal maps, how do I enable normal mapping? In Darkplaces it is set r_glsl_offsetmapping 1. How do I enable RT lighting?
        Is it maybe better to start a new thread to ask all these questions?

Comment

it works? *phew*
          and yeah, same cvar as DP (its also enabled by switching to the 'realtime' preset, but disabled by the other ones).
          Some Game Thing

Comment

mwaa haa haa... I have converted another from the "dark" side. It's the absolute least I can do considering how much help Spike gives me. Plus, I have almost always liked FTE the best. It's a real engine, ya know?

I'm glad you got your problems fixed. Have fun playing with FTE there is an insane amount of possibilities don't be shy to explore them.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Working...
            X