The Mirrors Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
    I did take the qc of nepenthe and did port it to a mini mod years ago.
    You've made so many things, I never can keep track.

Originally posted by nahuel View Post
    Thanks! Yours is awesome too

... should be backwards to even ancient Windows XP computers with basic graphics card. You probably don't know Gunter, he runs the FvF coop server and rarely posts here, but he uses Windows XP and has an old graphics cards and all features work on his machine.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@ancient Windows xp

Yeah...that applies to me as well. Lol. Good to know!
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
        @ancient Windows xp

Yeah...that applies to me as well. Lol. Good to know!
        Windows XP ironically is getting to be a bit of a classic. Some of the IPv6 networking enhancements implemented don't seem to quite work as robustly on XP, since XP support of IPv6 was less sophisticated.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Just loaded up MarkV and played around a bit. Very nice, this just became my favorite engine. Runs very smooth on my PC (may be getting a new PC soon though). It's classic Quake with some nice features like particles and the mirrors, and none the extra stuff I hardly ever use.

It does have a difficult time playing external MP3 however. I'm running the DirectX Windows. I don't really care about music, but I thought I'd let you know. Could just be my setup as well.

Comment

Mp3's are tricky to parse, especially if you intend to stream them. It took me days to get it right and I am a parsing maniac. I could parse your nose and remove the boogers....or whatever the fuck I'm saying. LOL
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
              Just loaded up MarkV and played around a bit. Very nice, this just became my favorite engine. Runs very smooth on my PC (may be getting a new PC soon though). It's classic Quake with some nice features like particles and the mirrors, and none the extra stuff I hardly ever use.
              It's smooth as silk, isn't it?

No hassles, plays several things even most other classic engines can't do, it has far beyond normal levels of compatibility.

Menu system is very simple (just 1 list of a few common options) but let's people make very small customizations that some people contend should be default so everyone is happy.

The "find" command is exceptionally helpful. Unlike implementations of such a feature, I tried to make the output asthetically pleasing.

Anyway, I'm glad you like it. I tried to pay attention to even the smallest details.

It does have a difficult time playing external MP3 however ... Could just be my setup as well.
              If you do want to pursue this, you'd need to post in this thread ...Func_Msgboard: Mark V - Release 1.00 ... everything is centralized there. Could be something real simple like the name (developer 2 and should say the name it expects).

But one beta tester on Windows XP had issue related to some windows .dll or something, but ...

... short version is that several other engine guys participate in that thread and sometimes think of something non-obvious. 6 engine developers + me + several beta testers (@func thread) > me (@this thread).

Comment

@find feature

yeah, that worked great! I like how I could expand the explanations by typing 'help <cvar>'. This kept it very clean. 1-liners are awesome. The similar feature on DP ('apropos') is hard to navigate and make sense of.

@menu

I really like how you can view available maps in the 'levels' list, very slick.

@mp3

If I'm the only one to have experienced this so far, then I guarantee it's my system. Seriously, my PC is old as dirt. In fact, it's making a lot of bad noises lately...new computer may not be an option before too long If the issue persists on a newer rig, I'll pursue it.

Thanks for the hard work. The polish shows.

Comment

It can probably run your player model in both the GL/DX8 version and the WinQuake version (if the model is software renderer friendly, sometimes a model isn't for non-obvious reasons). Since it obeys all the classic Quake rules, you would need to put in a pak2.pak as progs/player.mdl

However, it has a "hdfolder" option that can work with one or more combinations.

For example, you could do this:

c:\quake\quakeguy\progs\player.mdl

In console type: hdfolder quakeguy (or hdfolder "quakeguy")

Then it would also override player.mdl with yours.

Additionally, you could do: hdfolder "quakeguy;other_folder" and it would also use "other_folder" which might contain other models or textures or sounds.

/Just giving you the heads up that the model limits in Mark V are higher, they are as high as they can go while still being compatible with the maximum possible for a WinQuake engine, which is the strange number of 3984 verts.

Comment

@3984 verts

yeah that is a strange number... no worries, though, generally anything above 1500 verts is out of my area of interest. I think that's around where my quake guy is...can't remember. It's definitely not over 2000.

@hdfolder

another slick idea. Now I don't have to copy/paste every single bit of replacement content from all over my C drive.

I think I'll go pak my quakeguy up for future downloads, so anyone playing on MarkV doesn't have to do it themselves. Paks are generally better for cleanliness and user-friendliness anyhow.

Comment

Note: hdfolder expects free standing files in those folders. No pak files. I did this so those folders can be tested in both Mark V and DarkPlaces with the same content, since Mark V uses the DarkPlaces naming convention for textures (although Mark V only supports .tga, like Quake 3)

Comment

idea:

make it possible for hdfolder to be a pak (and/or pk3).
                        http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Am I missing something? DP does support paks, however I'm not aware that it supports a hdfolder.
                          ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                          ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

No but it DarkPlaces does know what a folder is.
                            Models, sounds and .tga textures sitting around freely in a folder would be equally testable in both engines.

Comment

Working...
                            X