Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ProQuake 3.99z w/map download and server browser

Download: ProQuake 3.99z - 0.8 MB

(The server browser can be access via pressing F7)

Source code is available here

With the above, maps will be downloaded automatically on any server.

The following mods are fully supported: ThreeWave CTF, Slide, Rocket Arena and Clan Arena.

The mapget utility does the grunt download work actually unpacks a 7zip decompression tool that does what dzip does for JoeQuake and Qrack. The mapget utility also unpacks the required odds and ends for CTF and Slide and the optional stuff for Rocket Arena and Clan Arena. There will be a mod-extras.pak in your quake/id1 folder, those are the CTF and Slide models and such. Both the 7-zip decompressor and the mod-extras.pak are unloaded from the mapget utility, so that's why it's about 1.5 mb. The mapget utility itself is just 40kb without that stuff, but I only wanted a single file dependency and didn't want the download to have stuff for multiple folders.

Long story short: With ProQuake 3.99z you will never have to mess around with ANYTHING for any server except AirQuake (which isn't exactly popular).

This is Beta

This is beta, but pretty thoroughly tested. I need to use my imagination to figure out some ways to stress test this. The map download speeds are very fast. We'll see how this holds up with several players downloading at the same time. That needs testing for sure.

Post any feedback here.

General Information

1) If you are old school and use -game, map download will not work. It won't download maps to anywhere except id1/maps so if you use -game, map downloading is not enabled. However, you do not need to use -game with CTF, Slide or Rocket arena with this. Solution: don't use -game.

2) Mapget does the downloading and the decompression stuff. If you have a restrictive firewall program, it needs internet access just like Quake does.

3) If the mapget utility isn't present, it's basically ProQuake 3.99s and doesn't have map download and doesn't have the server browser either.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-20-2008, 04:10 AM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Other then my wacky graphic glitch

I was downloading maps in under 5 seconds (F'ing amazing Baker! )

This actually obliterated any worries/douts/fears/lazyness when it comes to playing on other servers!

I hopped around even with my graphical handicap just testing out map download speeds, and its a whole new ball game now

But I hit IHOC AirQuake and it complained about a missing SPR file heh

Great stuff Baker! I think you basically nailed it!
    QuakeOne.com
    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

wooohooo! great work baker! works like a charm! (so far anyways )

how about that! netquake finally has these so long overdue (about 12 years) features

1) If you are old school and use -game, map download will not work. It won't download maps to anywhere except id1/maps so if you use -game, map downloading is not enabled. However, you do not need to use -game with CTF, Slide or Rocket arena with this. Solution: don't use -game.
      is there any way this can be resolved, cause i really like to keep using -game (just to keep things organized and not get messed up by other clients..)

i mean.. maps should always go into id1\maps anyways..

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
        is there any way this can be resolved, cause i really like to keep using -game (just to keep things organized and not get messed up by other clients..)

i mean.. maps should always go into id1\maps anyways..
        I'll put it on the to-do list and when I do it I'll make it an undocumented super-secret cvar and tell you and Polarite personally.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

cool

Comment

just some idea's:
            1) how about showing who is on the selected server in a separate box below the browser..

2) and a thumbnail screenshot of the map in another box below the browser..

edit:
            3) make the up/down keys repeat when holding down (in server browser) or maybe even mouse click-able and mousewheel scroll-able
            (i know this will not be visible on 320x200 res but hey.. who uses that anyway nowadays )
            Last edited by =peg=; 03-20-2008, 02:06 PM.

Comment

I've thought about doing both of those.

Comment

Very nice Baker
                I will install a clean version of quake just to test everything out.

Key repeat would be nice in server browser.
                My servers for the gamers:
                bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                Offline ATM
                fvf.servequake.com
                flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                Offline ATM
                newdm.servequake.com
                port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Polarite View Post
                  Key repeat would be nice in server browser.
                  I noticed that. So would mousewheel support :d

/I'd rather use the mousewheel

Comment

for me when using wqpro399z with -game in command line, the serverlist did not work and on closing down wqpro i got this error-message from mapget: (see attached image)

it worked fine without using -game

glpro399z works fine with -game (except mapdownload)
                    Attached Files

Comment

Thanks for headsup on that. Easily fixed. I'll update the download later.

Comment

another suggestion:

how about making populated server use bronze letters in server-browser.. just to get some contrast between populated and empty servers..

Comment

I'd like to see a list of all the maps 3.99z is able to download. Or is this kept as a secret?

Comment

Originally posted by =peg= View Post
                            another suggestion:

how about making populated server use bronze letters in server-browser.. just to get some contrast between populated and empty servers..
                            I've thought about that. Maybe I'll do that.

Originally posted by ORL View Post
                            I'd like to see a list of all the maps 3.99z is able to download. Or is this kept as a secret?
                            Right now it consists of every map in every server map pack, plus ones I was told were intended to be added to the EuroQuake server.

When I have some more time, I'm going to make a server operators info section here. I have more ideas on this, but am short on time right now.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              ...plus ones I was told were intended to be added to the EuroQuake server.
                              that list keeps growing by the day as i put more and more maps on the server..

just saying.. i'm always up for trying out a new map if players have requests

Comment

Working...
                              X