X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Framerate Comparison of Engines

All timedemos are of demo1.dem
    They are ran twice
    All engines are ran in 640x480 with their default settings unless otherwise noted

DarkPlaces
    DarkPlaces.exe - April 4th 2006 beta 1
    16bpp 155.7fps
    32bpp 142.1fps

JoeQuake software
    JoeQuake.exe v0.15b1189-win32
    55.1fps

JoeQuake GL
    JoeQuake-gl.exe v0.15b1189-win32
    16bpp 59fps
    32bpp 59.3fps

FitzQuake
    FitzQuake.exe 080
    16bpp 275fps
    32bpp 264.1fps

Telejano Directors Cut
    mini.exe directors_cuts telejano8special
    16bpp 59.2fps
    32bpp 59.2fps

Tremor
    Tremor.exe 3.2.4
    16bpp 58.8fps
    32bpp 59.1fps

VengeanceR2
    Ven 2-1-7.exe
    16bpp 48.4fps
    32bpp 48fps

Qrack
    glQrack.exe 1.55
    16bpp 105.7fps
    32bpp 105.3fps

ProQuake software
    wqpro.exe 350
    16bpp 54.9fps

ProQuake GL
    glpro.exe 350
    16bpp 60fps
    32bpp 60fps

TomazQuake
    TQ148.exe
    16bpp 59.4fps
    32bpp 59.9fps

All tests were performed on a AMD Athlon XP 1600+ 1.4ghz with 512MB of DDR 266mhz RAM and a GeForce4 Ti4200 64meg with the latest drivers. The only command lines used were "+map x" to jump to console and in some cases "-width 640" or "-bpp 16" or "-bpp 32" when a commandline was required for changing video modes.

My personal pick based upon
    Framerate and visual quality? DarkPlaces
    Visual quality? DarkPlaces
    Framerate? FitzQuake

FitzQuake loses a few personal points for despising alt tab, and any engine where I couldnt change video modes in console or via options loses points in my book as well.

Do not take this necessarily as a guide, merely my experiences.

Qrack really should allocate 32megs of ram automatically for the sake of modern levels BTW.
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

It may be of note that Im running at 60hz refresh rate on my monitor, and the nvidia options are providing no option for vsync being on or off. Most engines do not have the option to toggle such in their engines, and thus Telejano, TQ, and GLPro may be affected by this.

Latest Tenebrae btw got 26fps on my machine

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
        Qrack really should allocate 32megs of ram automatically for the sake of modern levels BTW.
        I think Rook did this and the later removed the feature for some important reason.

Miscellaneous stuff:

Also, some players have computers that can only run software builds.

I've always wondered why Quake is so likely to have trouble with people's video cards whereas things like Quake 3 are not.

JoeQuake/QRack/Tremor, all being JQ-based, are the only engines where I can alt-tab into and out of it without my display getting messed up with my GeForce2.
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
          Also, some players have computers that can only run software builds.
          Sucks to be them then, because in this day and age a 2ghz is average and a VERY decent computer is very affordable, hell even beggable if you're persuasive enough. lol

Originally posted by Baker
          I've always wondered why Quake is so likely to have trouble with people's video cards whereas things like Quake 3 are not.
          maybe because THEY DIDN'T DELETE THE OPENGL32.DLL LOCATED IN THE QUAKE FOLDER AS THE INSTRUCTIONS SAY? That's like the #1 most common problem behind GLquake and ports, 2nd most common problem is lacking a 3d accellerated card, and that's not so common in this decade.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
            That's like the #1 most common problem behind GLquake and ports, 2nd most common problem is lacking a 3d accellerated card, and that's not so common in this decade.
            Yeah, I am so glad that is improving in the graphics card department.

Dell used to ... and maybe still does ... ship out computers with the Intel Extreme Graphics Controller. It runs Quake 3 fine, but not Quake (black screens) and it is indicated that Quake is known to not work on the Intel page. My computer was one of them. Then you ask yourself ... "Should I buy a graphics card when Quake is the only game I have that doesn't run?"

Fortunately, 3D accelerators are become prevalent and every laptop I've bought has run GL Quake just fine.

(It wasn't the OpenGl32.dll, that does this error, but that file sure is annoying, isn't it.)

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

i've never had a prob with running glquake on every single video card i've ever used tbh (from the powervr pcx2 from 96 to the radeon i have now). You've got to have a lot of bad luck to make it crash like that.

well the only horrible glquake problems i ever ran to was the s3 prosavage onboard laptop chipset, it just is slow but that's it.

Comment

These measurements don't mean all too much.
                The differences are probably due to the details of the enhanced graphics stuff in the different clients and the standard settings not really being comparable.

even 55 fps is enough to enjoy quake. use what you like ppl.

peace.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Well the point was that the engine(s) with the *most* graphic doohickeys and goodies was scoring the highest framerate as well

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                    Well the point was that the engine(s) with the *most* graphic doohickeys and goodies was scoring the highest framerate as well
                    Yeah but Scrarecrow, was using the default settings.

What happens when you start turning the graphic doohickeys on?

Comment

I might add that you shouldn't turn all the graphics doohickeys on, heh :d

If you turn on a reasonable number of graphics doohickeys on, everything looks a lot better and things run smooth.

Comment

Or if you have a 1337 card like my geforce 7800 gtx

Comment

Baker - yes, and in that default settings all dlight entities are dynamically casting all of the lights, so everytime an entity fires a weapon or a grenade explodes, in that region all of the lighting is being recompiled, so thats even more the case for DP ; )

Forcing vsync off netted GLPro a lot more fps as did TQ148, so its roughly of the same rank as FitzQuake now, but did little for any other engine. DP still looks the best, and runs 3rd best.

Oh and with Romi's rtlights, that scene looks better and runs a lot faster Baker. Keep in mind DP is an ahead of its time engine that is fully backwards compatible.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                            Oh and with Romi's rtlights, that scene looks better and runs a lot faster Baker. Keep in mind DP is an ahead of its time engine that is fully backwards compatible.
                            Agreed. It can make even the normal maps look a lot better without doing anything but playing with the control panel. It is an outstanding engine.

Comment

No QMB framerate?

I wouldn't mind seeing how it does

Comment

Working...
                              X