Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Adding stuff to DirectQ (or at least trying to do that...)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Adding stuff to DirectQ (or at least trying to do that...)

Hi everybody,

since my return in Quake scene I was looking forward to a good engine to play online and after some quick tests I've chosen DirectQ: it feels a lot like the engines I used to play with in past years even if now I'm on a laptop with a wireless mouse. Had to say: nice job mh, the road was long since the head bug in mhquake but the results worth the waiting.

Anyway there's still some - more or less - useless stuff I miss from my past Quake experience, variables and commands present in other multiplayer oriented engines that I'm trying to implement by myself: I'm a newbie in programming world, even if this is not the first time I challenge Visual Studio. And the differences between v6 and v10 sometimes confuses me, but I was able to compile it and add some cvars.

My personal goal is to add the following:

- show_speed
    - dzip support
    - navigable demo folder
    - gibfilter
    - deadbodyfilter
    - drawflame
    - explosiontype
    - pq_report (and %d for dead location)
    - real time clock
    - demo command to record automatically a yyyymmddhhmm.dz
    - date in screenshots name
    - fastquit command
    - speedrun timer
    - an internal server browser capable of reading server addresses from Qview files (!).

Obviously I'm stucked atm: the show_speed code uses width and height variables to display the speed meter and in DirectQ they are undefined. Mmm...

The real question are:

1) Are there any tutorials on how to implement those? I've searched in Quakesrc archieve but didn't find nothing about that (ok, a can still explore/copy/paste code from other engines, but things are really different from an engine to another and sometimes it's not that easy to find the right strings, expecially with uncommented sources).

2) Be patient with my future questions: it's gonna be a long autumn.

Thanks in advance for any help: I really need it!

Bye.

Arkon.

Latest QView server list

Speedrunning in DirectQ = Winning !
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Good luck. I can't personally help you but I can appreciate your endeavor. I think I can give you one bit of advice though. Use IRC for these types of questions. I have read practically all of QuakeOne and I don't recall ANY posts/threads on how to engine code. Probably because of a few reasons:

1) Whereas there are a LOT of QC coders there are really only a handful of engine coders here.
      2) The guys that are coding these engines already know what they are doing
      3) To make engine coding tutorials here would be a huge waste of time as 99% of the people here wouldn't read/understand it. It would be like me writing a tutorial on how to properly restore the exterior of a dilapidated home. This is simply not the right audience.
      http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I don't think MH uses IRC, but rest assured he'll see the post
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
        X