Stupid Modelling Issue

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stupid Modelling Issue

It's a stupid issue but I can't seem to get around it. I attempted to make a box in GMax (with Tempest) and convert it to an md3 file. When I export, it tells me the UVW vertices don't match true verticies and things may not get stored correctly. I don't know if that's pertinent or not. I open the model in Quark, and Quark cannot find the texture. It says "Cannot find texture :00000000000" or something. Does anyone know off the bat what I'm doing wrong?
    Bizarro!
    -Bizarro

Btw I have followed some tutorials on this stuff, not 100% but only because I wanted to make a box instead of a sphere. Kthxggttyl.
    Bizarro!
    -Bizarro

Comment

Useful links:

1. This actually works to convert MD3 to MDL

http://www.quakesrc.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=7590

2. A tutorial by Preach that is very useful, maybe you used it

http://www.quakeexpo.com/booth.php?id=32&page=79

If those aren't helpful, I'd suggest asking the question at a modelling forum like a Gmax one or ask at Inside3d or Quakesrc.org where to get help on that.

Modelling is way too advanced of a topic for this forum.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

That thread may be helpful. I based my process on the Preach tutorial. It didn't work for me. I don't understand why I can export to md3 from Tempest and Tempest can see it, and the texture, correctly after importing again, but Quark doesn't see the texture at all. Quark also loads other md3's just fine. Piece of shit.
        Bizarro!
        -Bizarro

Comment

Originally posted by BizarroMonkey View Post
          Quark also loads other md3's just fine. Piece of shit.
          Hehe, I hear ya!

Making md3 and mdl seems to be a pain in the ass. I might add, the tutorial did work for me back whenever I tried it.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Well, I will try the tutorial exactly at some point and see what went wrong. The real reason I was trying to do the model in Tempest is because I started out with QME wanting to make simple models and skin them, but the skinning capabilities seem all messed up.

Difficult to import anything good, and it orients the texture funny. It also seems to put the texture in however it sees fit, with no options that I can see to modify the placement or scaling of the texture on the model. If there was a way to do that crap in QME, I'd be using it instead. Now, just because of the skinning issue, I had to install 3 other programs and do 2 conversions, and shit still doesn't work. Dammit...
            Bizarro!
            -Bizarro

Comment

Originally posted by BizarroMonkey View Post
              Well, I will try the tutorial exactly at some point and see what went wrong. The real reason I was trying to do the model in Tempest is because I started out with QME wanting to make simple models and skin them, but the skinning capabilities seem all messed up.

Difficult to import anything good, and it orients the texture funny. It also seems to put the texture in however it sees fit, with no options that I can see to modify the placement or scaling of the texture on the model. If there was a way to do that crap in QME, I'd be using it instead. Now, just because of the skinning issue, I had to install 3 other programs and do 2 conversions, and shit still doesn't work. Dammit...
              Maybe you can mix QME+Wings3D+LithUnwrap

note: Obviusly my models are crap. I am not a modeller
              Last edited by Tei; 07-13-2007, 08:07 AM.

Comment

Perhaps I will give it a shot, thank you for the advice.
                Bizarro!
                -Bizarro

Comment

Working...
                X