Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

An "open" server for hosting custom maps..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• An "open" server for hosting custom maps..

I want to enable simple uploading of new levels and have them auto enter the rotation state within the game.

For instance YOU make a map, put it into a directory on the server and it becomes a part of the map rotation on that server (Yes I know the sec issues and configs, please don't post them).

Would anyone be interested in this kind of dynamic server?

well, first off , if you can get the ability to upload maps to the REPOSITORY's (there are two cl_web_download_url addresses that are basically the location that "auto map download feature" connects/ searches for the map thats currently missing / attempts to auto download the map / then reconnects to load the map.

If you can get your map stuck into the autodownload feature repository's location(s), you are half way there (everyone can connect / obtain your map automatically through the autodownload feature.)

You would provide the server or have direct access to one, to insert the map into the maps folder & would need to be able to edit a command line with +map yourmapsname. you did not mention any mods, so I presume you will want VANILLA netquake, so +map is easiest route..

however everytime you update the map, people will need to be told so they can delete their map, and re-autodownload the updated map. otherwise, different maps / checksums / whatever.

Thats about as easy as it will get. Map rotations gets really annoyingly tricky... and its done in most mods like RuneQuake,CAx has it,CTF has it, Rquake Coop has it in some fashion... but I would bet that they are all a bit involved in terms of creating map rotations. My method is easy as shit and would get the job done 1 map at a time / offers suggestions for routes of attacking your desire (autodownload feature is a must, Quakers are lazy)
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-05-2012, 08:11 PM.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Great thanks for the info. Yea I figure there will be some work involved. I think the auto rotation would work best. I am going to try a script that parses the maps from the upload folder and adds them to the autodownload function in quake. Hopefully that can be modified while the server is running, if not then maybe a server restart every 3 hours with the updated maps.

And of course, input validation!! So you can't take over my server of course.

Comment

Oh wait.. are you saying that there are only 2 trusted repositories for quake?

Comment

There are 2 "already configured" to accept the "autodownload feature" and act as a "place of maps downloads"... most newer clients have a web download feature built into Quake, the two locations are :

These are all the addresses for Autodownload I have...

Qrack Engine : cl_web_download_url = http://bigfoot.quake1.net/~jack/

ProQuake Engine : cl_web_download_url = http://downloads.quake-1.com

If I don't have a map,and I connect to a server running that map I dont have, the client will check one of those addresses (only 1 usable at a time,and I dont know which ones more popular/updated) and if the address has the map,it serves it up / reconnects you and Ta-Da, you now have the map.

I think Baker runs the quake-1.com host, and I have no clue who owns/runs bigfoot in Europe.
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Ok thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...
            X