Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hazza
    replied
    Surely there must be another way Seven!!! Your version is way too nice to trade in!

Out of curiosity could you tell me about these properties?

-Varying depth of color/fogginess of different water types (say, between clear transparent water and murky water with thick color hiding details).
    Eg you look into a blue pool and see virtually everything, but into a muddy pool (or slime) you barely see a few inches below the surface.)

-The distortion of the mirror effect, without shine?- The way you balanced the reflection of the above surfaces against the water's color was perfect. I think if the reflection could be distorted in the same way the layers are beneath it would do the trick?

-Alternatively- Making the actual gloss-map almost entirely translucent (this I admit is more of a photoshop editing presumption though)?

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    King,

your screenshot shows "DP Pretty Water" V0.1 or V0.2.
    As I already told you in my post #16, these versions have the most "shining effect".
    But the negative point regarding these versions: Water02 looks like Water01 and looks like Slime.
    There is almost no difference in the different water/slime types.
    When you look from a bigger angle (from up to down), you will see the things inside the pool
    and the water has almost no color.

If you want it like this (and it seems to be the case) I highly recommend to use V0.2 !
    Then all your wishes will come true.

You must first type "exec water.cfg" into your console to be able to use the variables you mentioned.

Now, hoping you will be finally satisfied

Kind Regards,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• enki
    replied
    Originally posted by King Hazza View Post
    Also, these commands are treated as unknown
    r_glsl_water_reflectdistort
    r_glsl_water_refractdistort
    Look anywhere where the brush that makes the water meets up on the top surface with a normal-textured worldspawn brush, then adjust those.

Bringing down their values will reduce that pixelation / line that's formed there. I've been experimenting with this as I've noticed it when running through my current mod. They should work the same as the similar values in dp work. You need to be looking at the reflection itself to see the changes.

edited for content

Leave a comment:

• Hazza
    replied
    Interesting observation- it seems after reinstalling Quake from scratch, now the bendy effects of anything UNDER the water are also removed- I am only getting translucent water textures.

Also, these commands are treated as unknown
    r_glsl_water_reflectdistort
    r_glsl_water_refractdistort

Leave a comment:

• Hazza
    replied
    I found a good description for my problem- I seem to be missing the ripply reflection effect as seen here;

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    King,

I dont understand what you mean by "changing the degree of shine".
    I can only tell you, that the actual "waves" are generated by the normal texture.
    So, if you use a normal (like the one from "DP New Teleport") for your "DP Pretty Water",
    you will get bigger waves, which will effect the reflection/shine on the water.
    Maybe this is what you are after...?

The cvar "r_water_resolutionmultiplier" effects (like its naming describes) the resolution
    of entities beneath the water surface (when you are looking into the water).
    So if the value is low, the things will appear unsharp/unclear.
    Thats why you have a benefit for your FPS.
    It also makes the water look more dirty, because you cannot see so clearly things in the water.

Hope I could help you a bit.
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Hazza
    replied
    Doesn't seem to work when I tried it- I think it's a glossmap setting or something..

Leave a comment:

• grave_digga
    replied
    Originally posted by Seven View Post
    TIP:
    To have less FPS drop use the cvar: "r_water_resolutionmultiplier" (default is 0.5)
    I highly recommend: "0.4" (or even less)
    First Post.

Leave a comment:

• Hazza
    replied
    By the way, how would I go about changing the degree of shine etc in the water?

Leave a comment:

• grave_digga
    replied
    Yes, me also. If i can't get something to work this bothers me so hard then i'll keep trying untill it works.

Leave a comment:

• Bloodbat
    replied
    Well, still, I'm glad you got it working, even if my post wasn't very helpful for you

Leave a comment:

• grave_digga
    replied
    Well, now it works. It was something in the config.cfg, i should have delete it after applying dp. So i deleted the cfg and done my new settings and everything is fine. cfg was not read only also all other files was not. It was also no rightissue, changes nothing if i run dp as admin or as normal user. Anyways, thanks for your patience seven and keep up the good work.

@Bloodbat: No im running an Nvidia Geforce 8800GT with 512MB here.

Leave a comment:

• Spinvis
    replied
    Ok, finally tried out DP Water 0.32 vs DP Water 0.40, and i must say, DP Water 0.32 is the better one for me, the water looks more like water-ish, while with DP Water 0.40 it looks too much light blue and texture-ish if you get what i am saying. All in all dope effort for keeping this going, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• Bloodbat
    replied
    Sorry to barge in, but is your card perchance an Ati, Gravedigga? If so, I do recommend you get the latest drivers along with the hotfixes (if they apply to you, this 10.10 drivers seem to be rather eeevil) I've had such readonly errors (among other things)...and they seem to have gone away with the latest drivers, though that particular error never impaired my ability to enjoy pretty water :S (or anything else, for that matter) (running under Win 7 x64)
    Also, sometimes missing textures can be a sign of a faulty or overheating video card, have you ever cleaned it?
    Also if you don't have UAC disabled try running Darkplaces as administator...but in your particular case I don't think it really would make a difference.
    Oh, also have you tried updating your Darkplaces to the latest or a daily "unstable build"?
    I do that regularly and it works fine, hell, I'm even hoping 5.1 sound will be fixed for Win Vista/7 some day. (FTEQW gets it right using Hexen 2...when it agrees to run...)
    Hope some of this helps.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hello grave_digga,

once it looks good and the other day it looks different ?

I guess everything is OK with your Quake.
    The failure should be Windows and its rights-management for your folders.
    Did you try to run Quake as administrator ?
    Maybe your Quake or subfolders are write protected ?
    Maybe your config.cfg cannot be changed due to that ?

Please find my config.cfg attached.
    Please remove yours and replace it with mine temporary.
    Then test again.
    After first time start with my config, DP will have 640x480 resolution. Thats normal.
    Set your correct TFT resolution in options and see how it looks.

Man, your issue is a tough problem...
    Its like: My car works fine, except on tuesdays and thursdays. Then it wont start the engine

Hope it helps.
    Seven
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

Working...
X