Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• thanx a lot iron!

put a lot of work in it, so im glad you like it

also, i dun really know what to do next... not that much items left, ive remade most of the items
    hmm...mebbe the mirv-launcher? i said a long time ago i would make that one too some day
    Last edited by talisa; 11-28-2013, 10:40 AM.
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Tlisa you are a tresher! did you do the flying shoes yet?

Comment

• Originally posted by JDSTONER View Post
        did you do the flying shoes yet?
        oh yeah, still need to do those too some time

also been thinking of doing the books you can find scattered around perhaps
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• Hands down, your best work yet!!!

BUT (lol, I know, I know, I always have some detailed opinion)

1) it looks like 2 different chest types smacked together. Like it can't figure out if it wants to be secure or decorative

2) an old iron lock with a gold bolt is totally strange - and actually this is example #1 on being confused of it's type (secure or decorative)

3) Gold front and common metal sides with gold handles is example #2 of type confusion

Since I believe people with opinions should also have solutions, I will provide some and they will be better than just saying to turn everything gold.

Get rid of the gold All of it. Use some colorization process to turn the front to silver. Make the top a black wood. Make the lock match itself and make the handles match the lock

black wood textures

tarnished silver example - this is the best pic I could find for what I see in my head, but I'm thinking just a bit dirtier

I still think your chest is really good, it's just suffering from type confusion.

EDIT: It looks like the chest was made by a bunch of Gypsy's (actual ones). Which of course isn't a bad thing, if it was in a Gypsy themed map. How ironic right? You made a chest that represents me - Confused(gaudy), valuable, rugged, artistic and colorful. Maybe you shouldn't change a thing.

You also are not allowed to ever become an interior decorator

"We'll use purple drapes and orange carpet with pink walls. Maybe some pure gold crown moulding, iron doors and linoleum ceilings. It will be the bestest and stuffs!"

LMAO!

disclaimer: I'm not tying to be a dick. I have no business being an interior decorator either. Plus I am just exaggerating for comic relief. Your chest obviously isn't as nutty as my little made-up dialogue of you. I told you once that you are like a lil sis to me. Maybe you should talk to my real one before you get all happy about that -HAH!

Happy Thanksgiving <3
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-28-2013, 12:42 PM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• thanx gypsy, it was a lot of work as you could see, and i put a lot of love into it.

yeah ok, perhaps the gold bolt is a bit odd, and might be better if it was silver.
            in the original chest the lock itself was gold as well, but i thought a gold lock would be silly.
            but i did end up making the bolt gold.

on the secure VS decorative thing: its a bit of both
            why couldnt it be secure but still look fancy at same time, right?

anyways, i really like how the chest came out myself

beside, about the confused mix... isnt that what all of quake is like in a way?
            doesnt know what it wants to be, a scifi shooter or a medieval adventure-game.
            pretty symbols, but dark and gritty brown walls.

but somehow it works together and its awesome, and thats what matters <3

so it fits perfect with that, at the same time fancy but also dark and gritty
            Last edited by talisa; 11-28-2013, 01:45 PM.

Comment

• Yup, even if you changed nothing it looks really good (interesting)

My opinions are always an attempt at logical realism which, may not always be the best direction for the focus of the opinion. I can't help but consider every possible detail, even the details that most people wouldn't even consider... while running past that detail blasting away at a Shambler.

That's the real detail. Most of what I notice is based on actually staring at the item but, who is going to really do that in the heat of an actual game? Probably not many people. There really is probably only two thing to consider. Does it look good in the map and if it is just a decoration, does it's look imply you are supposed to interact with it some way?

If it looks like you are supposed to use it, but you are not then, you might want to dumb it down to avoid confusion. If it looks completely out of place in the map then, you might want to reconsider your design.

In my opinion, those are the real things that can't avoid consideration. Everything else is opinionated details.

@original lock = gold - I disagree. It's a common brass lock. I have them on all of my tool boxes. It's just missing the word "Master" embossed on the front. The original chest was a bit confused as well. Current and realistic lock on an ancient fantasy chest. Apparently chests are pretty hard to make with any consistency. This is probably due to the modeler not having extensive knowledge of historical periods and the materials/shapes that were common to that time. That would be my guess anyway.

I'm not saying that I would have done any better or implying that I have that historical knowledge. I probably would have scrapped the original chest completely, done an extensive search in google images and then modeled from reality - whilst only changing very minor things (dumbing down intricate details). Basically, I don't think I would have attempted much artistic freedom here. So, kudos to you for completely inventing the chest.

I give you 4 out of 5 Quads. Good Job!

EDIT, I would still make the lock bolt and handles iron, though - just like the rest of the lock or if you keep the handles gold, use the wood texture for the top-sides too. Also, is that a Mortal Kombat logo on the front?
              Last edited by MadGypsy; 11-28-2013, 02:31 PM.

Comment

• haha yes... realism and quake... you shouldnt compare quake to reality,
                cuz a lot of quake doesnt make any kinda sense at all in terms of realism

also no that isnt the mortal kombat logo
                its actually part of a door-texture from hexen1

but yeah i can see what you mean, it does kinda look a bit like it,
                especially with one head half-hidden behind the lock

Comment

• thought of what gypsy said and thought it indeed would make more sense if the bolt was silver rather then gold which seemed kinda odd

also i tried his idea of adding the red wood to the sides of the lid too, which does looks better indeed

GET NEW VERSION HERE

thanx once again for the constructive criticism gypsy
                  Last edited by talisa; 11-28-2013, 04:22 PM.

Comment

• All games have to follow some basis in reality. I read a modelling tutorial that explained this very well. Even fantasy creatures have to have realistic muscle patterns. You can't just completely invent things out of thin air and expect the user to be able to identify with it.

There is a lot of realism in Quake. Delete all your models and play Quake in darkplaces. Everything missing will be a rainbow diamond. Tell me how fun that is. Convince yourself that rainbow diamonds are monsters and items and in this fantasy world, the size of the diamond indicates it's type.

Ya see? There has to be an element of realism or it will be impossible to identify with. Monsters still walk or fly (just like real life creatures can). Doors open with keys or some form of initiation. You have to touch things to interact with them (pick-ups, buttons). When you push a button it goes in (as opposed to coming further out). Interacting with things initiates sounds, realistic sounds. Lights come from light sources.

The list is endless. And even if you are creating a fantasy realm, the more basis that realm has in reality (or at least possibility) the more immersible it will be. People may be able to identify with a fantasy creature, but they aren't going to identify with one that makes absolutely no sense (like rainbow diamonds that fire grenades)

EDIT: we're posting at the same time. New chest looks excellent!

Comment

• Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                      Delete all your models and play Quake in darkplaces. Everything missing will be a rainbow diamond.
                      acid quake - rainbow-diamonds edition ?

also, thanx! your suggestions look good

Comment

• Hello talisa,

I just saw this thread, didnt read through the pages, but wanted to write what I was thinking when looking at the 1st post screenshots:

You make good progress for the modeling part. But the textures could need some improvements:
                        You seem to use existing textures, which are very homogen, for the model parts.
                        If it is a 1 parted model the texture is also homogen.

What I mean to say is:
                        The textures (lets say they are 512x512) have the same pattern/design all over it.
                        When you then glue it on a shaped model, the edges or corners or sinks are all having the same texture.

Normaly, the process is the other way around. After the model and mapping is done, the author draws the texture, which fits to the shape of the model.
                        It is hard to express with my poor english...
                        Example:
                        The edges or corners get a slightly different pattern or get darkened. The sinks also get another texture flowing type.
                        With a universal texture which is homogen over the complete 512x512 surface, it is not possible to make a model look "real" (or however the right word for it is).

The "Twin-Shot/NSoe Equalizer" or "Rejuvinators" or "Flasks" shows it best I think.
                        Their models have geometries and corners and edges and stuff, but the texture does not reflect/support them (include them). It is too homogen.

I hope I could at least give you a slight idea what I was trying to say... I give up, my english gets worse and worse

Comment

• holy cow.... seven, your alive!
                          where you been, we were all wondering about why you were absent?
                          and perhaps a bit worried too that you left too like some other great people

about the textures... yeah i know, but as ive said before often...
                          i am by no means a professional texturer or anything
                          this is whats all thats within my ability with texturing right now.

i been trying to add some 'realism' by adding fake shadowing to the textures,
                          but thats all i can do with my not-so-good skills in texturing

if someone is willing to make better custom textures for the models,
                          i would very much welcome that
                          i could use a good texturer on board with this project so the textures look better.

i can model and UV-map but my skills in texturing are quite lacking sadly

Comment

• cuz iron asked for them.... the Nsoe healthboxes!

made by editing ruohis healthboxes and using a QRP texture for the wood parts

DOWNLOAD THEM HERE

for now textures are just a quick copy&paste and recolor.
                            i didnt add dark area around the crosses neither added glow-maps or such yet, but i will another time
                            Last edited by talisa; 11-30-2013, 04:47 PM.

Comment

• Beautiful as always!

Comment

• thanx iron

they're just a quick edit of ruohis healthboxes with QRP wood-texture slapped on,
                                nothing special at all

Comment

Working...
                                X