No announcement yet.

drake power-ups HD

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your last screenshot looks nice. I dig the style of the tarnished gold texturing.

Comment

• thanx xage
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• while searching for old books with locks through google image search,
        i came across a nice book which i think would be absolutely perfect

really loving the look of this particular book, and the locks on it look really nice
        its simple but fancy, and imo very nice looking

when i make a new model for the open and closed versions of the book, i think ill base them on this one book.

the site where i found those pics also has a bucnh more pics from different angles and close-ups of parts,
        which should be more then enough to be able to replicate this book as as 3D-model
        Last edited by talisa; 01-29-2014, 08:03 AM.
        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

• You should change your name to Ambie N. O. Cluzion

I like the final amulet. I will say I was a lil disappointed that you made it gold. IMO gold seems like the no-brainer goto color. Your last progress pic that was just AO'ed actually looked better than the gold to me.

I can maybe give a better explanation in this manner:

In the movie Indiana Jones (I believe last crusade), there is a point where Indiana Jones has to choose the Holy Grail from a wide selection of grails. The majority of grails were bejeweled, golden "treasures" but the proper grail turned out to be an unassuming clay thing.

The point of that scene was all of the other cups were treasures because of the materials used to fabricate them, but the real grail was a treasure because of the power it possesses. That thought can be segued by the fact that those seeking treasures will be blinded by their greed and overlook the greatest treasure of all.

Your amulet is basically a play on the Holy Grail. It's an item that when received will extend your life. I want to believe that an item so precious would not advertise it's worth.

Of course this is all philosophical stuff and highly opinionated but it's these back stories that add more character to the item and inherently the game itself. Of course your amulet looks superb but it's just "another" gold amulet. Another, as in, how many games would go this exact direction when making such an item?

See what I'm saying?

There is another way to look at this. The amulet more than likely would be worn by a Knight/Warrior of some sort. Your current amulet is more in the style of a King. I'm sure a King could also have an amulet of protection but there are plenty of reasons why you would never find that just hanging about. Like, for instance, the King was probably buried with it.

If I was to suggest a way to make it "better". I would say to make it more like armor colors and maybe change the chain to a leather band. Even if you do none of that and think I am the most opinionated person on the planet () I still think your amulet looks really good.

-------

@book - what if the book was a playboy magazine and when it is open all you see is an article? It's a lil joke that pokes at people that say they read nudey magazines for the articles. IDK, I'm jus' messin' around.
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-29-2014, 10:31 AM.
          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

• true, but this aint indiana jones
            in quake and hexen if an item is valuable, it looks valuable

can try some time though to change colors and make an alternate version of the amulet

lol at the book idea

some time ago i out of boredom made a coin from mario in blender after playing mario bros U
            and did at one moment think about it to as a joke make a mod which changes the coins from NSOE into mario-coins,
            which would also replace the pickup sounds with sounds from mario

Comment

• what about this?

replaced the chain with a string, and replaced textures of amulet.
              put a rusted metal tex on base, and a light metal texture for the decorations

Comment

• change the lighter metal to the other metal (since it's the same piece of metal) and it's fabulous!

That looks really good! It also looks lot more like something a warrior would wear.

The stone looks inset in this version too. The gold one still looked like the stone is glued on.

Now make a wooden one with a lump of coal for a stone. Lol, could you imagine how fun it will be to try and get the woodgrain to match up for all your decorations?

You should get a 3d printer, then you could print all this stuff. hmmm, I wonder if you could 3d print an entire quake level and all the models? If you can, you could make the "Castle Greyskull" or "Barbie Dreamhouse" of the Quake universe.

With a lot of extra work and some "Rock Em Sock Em Robots" technology, you could make it somewhat playable.
                Last edited by MadGypsy; 01-30-2014, 10:24 AM.

Comment

• like so?

was as easy as just toggling visibility of the layer of the lighter texture in PS

Comment

• That almost looks real. I like that version way more than the gold one. To me, it looks like something that could really exist.

You maybe should make "jewelry" for a living.I mean, it may be a model, but you invented this design. Maybe there is a market for 3d jewelry concept artists...

How is the book coming?

Comment

• Concept Art Jobs | Get a job in concept art, concept design, and illustration!Concept Art Jobs | Get a job in concept art, concept design, and illustration!

Maybe you would like someone to pay you to make a 3d concept...

You seem to really like making stuff in blender and your final models are pretty good. Maybe if you broke away from remakes and came up with some completely invented stuff, you would draw the eye of a client.

The worse that could happen is nothing and that's exactly what will happen if you don't even try. I've made plenty money as a freelancing noob. It's not out of the question.

Comment

• thanx gypsy

for anybody who wants this alternate version, here it is

DOWNLOAD AMULET OF PROTECTION - ALTERNATE VERSION

about having invented this design...
                        i dunno about that, as you know it was heavily inspired by those two brooches i found,
                        and some parts of the decorations are just blatently copied over
                        so i only partially designed it myself

but thanx a lot for thinking its so good i should design stuff like this for a living

the book i didnt start on yet.
                        just got myself mario galaxy for wii yesterday and been playing that a lot,
                        so i didnt get to starting on the next model yet

Comment

• For the book you should make a Kindle. Make it look like it's made of iron.

Comment

• just started on the closed version of the book a bit ago

as you can see, so far i made the wrapper and the pages

now all it needs is the double locks on the right side,
                            and then perhaps some decorations on the cover
                            Last edited by talisa; 01-31-2014, 09:05 AM.

Comment

• just UV-mapped the wrapper after some thinking and coming up with a way to unwrap the whole model as a single island.

i wanted to be able to do this so that i could later edit a copy of the wrapper for the open version of the book.
                              this way the wrapper of both versions of the book will look the exact same and there wont be differences in how the textures on them look.

both models are supposed to be the same book, so its a nice thing to be able
                              to have the texture on the wrapper of both open and closed versions look 100% identical.

as a bonus this way of unwrapping also has the benefit of that it has virtually no seams anywhere
                              except for the right side of the edges (visible in bottom-right of pic) and it still has extremely little stretching.

Comment

• Really good start.

Comment

Working...
                                X