X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

less than 5 minute fiend

if dutch or anyone wants to finish it
    https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...nI0WmtfeVBYaVE

It's a little sloppy...mostly the tail. I just made sure the geometry was there

This was stupid simple. I mostly just changed the point from median to cursor, highlighted a bunch of stuff and rotated it around a carefully placed cursor. I then scaled up the torso and head...then just the head even more. Chpped off the hands, did one extrude and while it was still selected (alt+m) merged at center. Cut off his tail plus an extra 3 verts below the tail and did a few extrude then scale until I got it to a point.

Seriously that is pretty much it. Oh I first cut it in half and mirrored it.

Looks like a fiend to me...well except for maybe the ears instead of horns.

I used blender 2.7 summin but that shouldn't matter since it's just a model. LOL, if you notice, I have my blender 2.7 setup like 2.49b.
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-05-2016, 09:42 PM.
    http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

@gypsy

Hell yeah I'll use that as a base. Sweet. I actually wasn't starting from 'scratch' per se, but close. I grabbed the original model, snagged a shape key close to a relaxed pose, and started smoothing/adding verts into quads and what not. Either way, it doesn't matter. Your idea is much quicker. I can sculpt that into a bitchin fiend.

The lamprey will be my next focus.
      'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

@ Your idea is much quicker.

I entirely did both of those models specifically to teach you how to stop wasting time. Trust me, I know exactly what it took you to make that ranger and it's retarded to do it that way. Most of your stress is because you are doing things the hardest way. I know you have passion for this and I wanted to stick it right in your face how to do it so you would move right along and become even more passionate. REUSE YOUR RANGER ARMATURE!!!!

If you don't know how to do this

Make sure you are in object mode
        File/link
        navigate to your ranger blend
        you'll be presented with a folder structure
        fish around in that til you find your armature and select it

I think file/append works the same but the difference may be that link does not actually free the armature from the original file. That's small beans stuff you'll figure it out. I got you in the pocket.

If you don't know how to mirror modify bones. note this does not add mirrored bones. If you have your armature properly setup with .L and .R names this will perform modification on the appropriate mirror. EX you move forearm.R - forearm.L will follow (but opposite). There are ways to name half your armature and auto generate mirror names. It is beyond the scope of this post to teach you that. but I CAN tell you how.

Repeat after me

I Dutch will use base meshes from now on to make awesome models.
        Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-05-2016, 10:08 PM.

Comment

Pbbbt I practically just modeled it for you. I added all expected details, as-well-as removed numerous useless loops and the grand majority of triangles. I also bulked up the shoulders, refined some topology, redirected some edge flow...just numerous things. I know this model is still kind of "play-toy" looking but, after you said you would use the other as a base, I just wanted to "help" you model this. So there, I provided a really solid base mesh, your turn... to do whatever you want. I do not care if you change it greatly. I do care that it is easy for you to work with. At no point did I actually look at a fiend and attempt to get the proportions correct. I just did that and realized that this fiend is a bit different. Mostly in the hips and legs. The original fiend has a wider stance. I'll leave it to you at this point to handle stuff like that if you think It's important.

fiend v2

for comparison - With the exception of anything pointy I did not add a single thing to this model. Actually, I got rid of a bunch, especially in the face.

total time: roughly an hour
          Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-06-2016, 12:35 AM.

Comment

or you can use this wide stance version (lol...I suck at letting things go). Also a few more edge loops were removed and the tail was fattened. I was going to add hoofs like the original but I like the feet. Hoofs really will be up to you.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_...kQ3bmtCX2o0S00

Comment

"I Dutch will use base meshes from now on to make awesome models." Lol.

Thanks a lot man. I always get hung up doing things the hardest way. I think I sub-conciously deduce that doing so will teach me more in the long run...which may be true, but let's face it...I'm not making a career out of this shit.

Alright, coffee's brewed and can of copenhagen on standby. Blender time. Here we go!

Comment

I did more but I'm not sharing this version. Mostly because there is damn near nothing to do. I bulked him up, widened the stance more, added some reptile fin thingy and curved the tail upward.

You did learn more by doing it the hard way. You learned doing it the hard way is bullshit.

Comment

It could obviously use more detail but, I think it's pretty good for just messing around off and on all night. Even though the horns look like a different texture, I just scaled the uvs down to microscopic levels...lol. Actually the uv map for this thing is a complete disaster.

see the two "dots" in the upper right? That's the hands and horns. As long as I never bake this thing, it's great. The disaster in the middle is everything that isn't some kind of horn. I didn't worry about making it right, instead I kept moving around the islands til there weren't really any seams.
                  Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-06-2016, 04:25 AM.

Comment

Not bad for a quick unwrap! Just downloaded the model. I'm pretty beat right now so I'll pick it up again tomorrow night.

Here's a comparison pic of the three models I mentioned in the OP [below]. Each model was opened in blender on my desktop, so the comparison should be pretty legit. After analyzing, I'll definitely agree there is a difference in style between them (all 3 of them...particularly the resolution vs. model size ratio), but this is expected and within the acceptable deviations for this project. Put it this way: I'd be happy running all 3 of these in my standard quake setup side-by-side. The beauty of this project though, is modders/mappers will be able to choose what to include from the pack.

And then there's the personal preference scenario...I'll never get everyone to agree on every detail. Look at the rift I caused with the quake guy beard
                    I'm really trying to train myself to just say "you know what? It's good enough." Reason no.1 I never finish anything lol.

BTW, I'm not writing all of this to try and change your mind. Your input is always valued. I'm really just thinking out loud here...it's how I mull things over sometimes.

Comment

Comment

huh neat... i could maybe use that werewolf base to make any creatures, like using it as base for a nightgaunt...

its already a digi-grade creature with claws just like the nightgaunt,
                        would just need to edit the proportions and stuff, and re-do the head.

... and of course add wings
                        are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                        > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                        everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

I doubt I have even spent 3 hours on this in total.

I know there are people hating the fuck out of me for leaving claw feet on a fiend (and probably other stuff) ::shrugs:: Honestly, to make it hoofs would be too easy. Plus, I didn't make the base mesh so, I would like to leave something of the original as a nod to the author. I obviously fixed all the uvs and dicked with the lighting a little.

the displacement map is nothing amazing. It's 1024x1024 though. I'm about to externally make it 512x512 and blender has this real nice feature where I can then click image/replace image and it will honor all of the UVs for the new image size. Which is pretty much expected since UV coordinates are nothing but 0 to 1 height/width percentages. I know it's going to mush up the texture a bit. That's ok. I'm also going to add a ridge around the face horns so it doesn't switch textures so abruptly.
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-06-2016, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Armored Demon - conceptual

colors are for differentiation purposes and have little or nothing to do with any final results. Also, the armor is more of a rough idea.

Last edited by MadGypsy; 12-07-2016, 01:34 AM.

Comment

I like the helmet and horn bands.
                              ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                              ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Originally posted by bfg666 View Post
                                I like the helmet and horn bands.
                                Agreed, that's wicked cool! Seriously dude, that's the best demon I've seen. I love the armor variant. The clawed feet are growing on me as well. I don't know how much of the original model you've looked over, but the topography -- even considering it was made in the days of triangles -- is a complete and colossal disaster.

Imagine a squad of hell nights patrolling a hallway with armored demons on a chain. Badass.

Another thought I once had...what if some of the monsters were partly mechanized and placed in base maps? Imagine mowing down some grunts and dogs, when a door opens and shambler cyborg with a chaingun for an arm and a missile pod on it's shoulder steps through, roaring above the gunfire, weapons blazing red hot. Maybe not even a cyborg, just heavily equipped with armor and weapons. Like the Brumak from Gears of War:

Kind of what Quoth did with the Eddy ogre...but I always hated the ogre.
                                Last edited by Dutch; 12-07-2016, 02:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X