Ubermensch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubermensch

I actually found out what this word means at school today in my Ethics class. It's German for the word "Overmen", or could also mean "Supermen".

The philosopher Nietzsche believed that ubermensch were the most superior kind of bieng that surpass normal men.

We know Ubermensch as a quake player - a former member of the Crow clan.

Anyway, I heard it and was like, "Holy god! THAT'S what ubermensch means!!"

I already knew that from UBER!!! ;Þ If someone wasn't on vacation at a certain time.. They would have known that to.
    www.Net-Tyme.com
    Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
    Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Nietzsche has some very interesting thoughts. My interpretation of "The Will To Power" is that if you have a good and benign cause, there is no honor in losing and that you must do everything you can to win; that there is no honor in good losing to evil. That winning, is by itself, a virtue.

Nietzsche can easily be subject to misinterpretation, he isn't saying winning is everything, but that rather that it is the obligation of good people to take the necessarily steps to defeat evil because nothing good comes from losing to evil.

At least that has always been my take on it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nietzsche
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Lol, I always wondered what the hell that guy's name meant. Nice defining, Quad.

Comment

Yeah if I believed in his philosophy, I'd definately be considered part of the "herd" and a follower of the "slave morality".

He DID consider being in a religion being part of a "group" or "herd".

Comment

Well most religions do consider the followers to be in a "herd" or "flock", definitely in Christianity which refers to people as flocks of sheep and speaks of Jesus as a shepherd... But this isnt a negative thing in that context as the shepherd is more intelligent than the sheep and is acting out of love, and thus steers them clear of the largest dangers, but also allows them to roam and encounter smaller dangers so they can learn on their own.
            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

ubermensch is also something the nazis distorted. they called the german race the ubermensch, and nongermans "untermensch" (subhuman). every now and then i get accused of nazism, but my name comes from nietzsche--not the nazis.

by the way nietzsche also wrote: "all anti-semites should be shot."

you have to wonder how people like the nazis could call nietzsche their 'spiritual father,' when he wrote against all the things that would become the core of nazism. nietzsche renounced his german citizenship in the 1870's out of disgust at german culture, nationalism, and anti-semitism.

here's a quote from nietzsche's last book: "germany is europe's dreck"
              cool.

Comment

Originally posted by ubermensch
                ubermensch is also something the nazis distorted. they called the german race the ubermensch, and nongermans "untermensch" (subhuman). every now and then i get accused of nazism, but my name comes from nietzsche--not the nazis.
                All philosophies can be misused; it's a shame.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker - It could be further argued that most people, if they do practice any sophism, would be a categorial misosophism, if that is even technically a word - if not then you can deduce how Im using it though nonetheless. It cracks me up when people say "well what is your philosophy on X" what do you mean what is their love of wisdom on a subject?
                  Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Well Nietzsche was a bit of a crackhead himself.

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
                      Baker - It could be further argued that most people, if they do practice any sophism, would be a categorial misosophism, if that is even technically a word - if not then you can deduce how Im using it though nonetheless. It cracks me up when people say "well what is your philosophy on X" what do you mean what is their love of wisdom on a subject?
                      Ya lost me somewhere in there, captain.

(Don't call him Scarecraw, he no like that.)

Comment

Even baker cannot understand the scar3crow. I have no clue what he's talking about either. *speak english please*

Comment

Working...
                        X