Zip Compression Shock!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zip Compression Shock!

I am working on a download that I want the target size to be around 15 MB -- what I view as about the largest size for a casual download.

The download I was working on was around 18.9 MB, which was annoying; made a couple of "subtractions" and it was around 18.1 MB. Still not good enough and nothing else that could be trimmed.

I remembered reading somewhere in a readme one time that 7-Zip could produce standard zip files with better compression than most zip programs.

My maximum acceptable size target was 17.9 MB and I was hoping 7-Zip might be able to knock off 1 or 2%, even using the standard .zip format.

Surprisingly, after creating a .zip file with 7-Zip the file size was 16.8 MB which shaving off well over 1 MB (about 8%) off the zip size. I was a little wary of the .zip file (you know, is it f***ed up somehow that nothing else can open it) so I made sure it opened/extracted in WinZip, and it did.

I did another test on 256 MB file of various files and WinZip compressed them 105.7 MB and 7-Zip using the standard .zip format came in at 99.0 MB, a 6.5 MB difference.

I just thought this was really weird that 2 programs could have such different results in compression using the same standard .zip format.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

7z owns Winrar owns Winzip

Comment

I've heard of 7z just I've never used it. I've been a loyal user of winrar.

Maybe I'll try it some day.

Comment

winrar 3.50 can open .7z files
        e|------------------------0---------------
        B|---------------0^1----------------1----
        G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
        D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
        A|---------------0------------------------
        E|----------------------------------------

Comment

But not 7z split files. It's open source, winrar should update

Comment

you know what , PKZIP > YOUR ARCHIVING APP.

how u like them apples newbs!
            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
              you know what , PKZIP > YOUR ARCHIVING APP.

how u like them apples newbs!
              Yeah and I can create a smaller zip that opens with PKZIP with 7-Zip
              Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by TehChozenTwo View Post
                I've heard of 7z just I've never used it. I've been a loyal user of winrar.
                So have I. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to catch on and be a new standard.

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  So have I. I'm starting to wonder if it's going to catch on and be a new standard.
                  From what I've witnessed in my years in IT Business:
                  Windows Standard = Zip
                  Linux Standard = Tar.Gz or Tar.Bz

But since 7z can create/extract both, I see no reason to stop using it.

Comment

Working...
                  X