Poll: Afraid of bee that can't sting yes/no

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Poll: Afraid of bee that can't sting yes/no

There is a big fat bee that every once in a harasses me a little. He's a carpenter bee and he's annoying.

And I've just learned he can't sting.

So right now, I'm wondering if I can be like Neo in the Matrix and not fear him because he can't do anything to me. Or if the "it's a bee" thing will control me.

Hmmm.
    Yes
    35.29%
    No
    58.82%
    Maybe
    5.88%
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

No stinger,sure...

Just coz it doesnt have a stinger or fangs or pinchers like many other bugs have,whether its a spider,praying mantis,or anything... Be prepared to shit yourself if it gets ahold of you... One time staying in NC working out of town,was staying at a friends house and on the side of the house we had,I found a beetle crawling on the carpet,so sure its just a beetle I picked it up and it bit me and it was worse than getting bit by a large wolf spider when I was younger and thought "Hey,lets pick up this huge spider..".

That beetled fucked me up right between two of my fingers,and it was very unpleasant,and it didnt have any extreme pinchers visible or showing.
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

He will try to intimidate you. But there is no need to give in. I read that the only way you would get stung is from a female, but seldom will unless they are handled or molested.
      I say go about your business. They will only try to scare you off if you try to harm them or if you get too close to the nest.

Control (copy and pasted from a site I read )

"Carpenter bees prefer to attack wood which is bare, weathered and unpainted. Therefore, the best way to deter the bees is to paint all exposed wood surfaces, especially those which have a history of being attacked. Wood stains and preservatives are less reliable than painting, but will provide some degree of repellancy versus bare wood. To further discourage nesting, garages and outbuildings should be kept closed when carpenter bees are actively searching for nesting sites."

Otherwise you will have to use pesticides and such, which is just crude and unreasonable, especially if they pose no threat.
      SpeakNow.QuakeOne.Com
      [email protected]
      AIM - EMHof1

Comment

Getting stung by a bee is actually healthy for you. If it is too much then it is not.

This sounds silly, it is true. One example is bee sting therapy for MS: http://health.discovery.com/centers/...sclerosis.html.

This is a piece of interesting and entertaining information for you.

Comment

I think Bakers smoking something

Your Neo now Baker?

Neo*Baker haha in memory of that French guy Danno a.k.a...

Canadian>>>OMFG LOOK THERES A STAR HERE!!!*<<<Sniper...

a.k.a RenegadeC

Its ok to talk about Canadian*Sniper now guys hes not here to see it! yaaay!

wow, this is a joke nowai!
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

heh i ot wasps in my room all the time, just open up the window and yell at it to get out

Comment

We got those big red stoner bees that just fly around with little purpose, they aren't aggressive, they just kind of float around like they're high and forgot what they were doing.

Bee stings really aren't shit, Try getting bit by an owl

Unless you're allergic to bee stings, then run forest run!
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

When we moved to Kentucky 2 years ago we lived in a log cabin from spring through mid summer and those wood bees were a pain in the ass. Very territorial to the point that they would speed away and chase after passing birds momentarily. A plain old broom will knock them out of the air, then squish. They can do a lot of damage to wood with their holes they chew out.
                Chuck

Comment

I wouldn't know the difference between bees with stingers and those without, so I'd still be afraid of it. It's funny, I've overcome my fear of needles by being a blood donor, but I'm still terrified of bees and wasps.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                    When we moved to Kentucky 2 years ago we lived in a log cabin from spring through mid summer and those wood bees were a pain in the ass. Very territorial to the point that they would speed away and chase after passing birds momentarily. A plain old broom will knock them out of the air, then squish. They can do a lot of damage to wood with their holes they chew out.
                    a prime example of why you dont trust any bugs!! IT CHEWS WOOD,and the last time I checked I dont see wood being served in McDonalds,Wendy's,etc !!!

If it can chew through wood,it'll bite your fingers for damn sure if u try catching it. Mother nature didnt make bugs 100% exploitable.
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Two words: Tennis Racket.

Back in at my parents Carpenter Bee Tennis was a local past time. The fun part is when they circle you and you're spinning around watching him. The Universe is just you, the bee and your fight against the G-forces to swing your tennis racket.
                      "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

Originally posted by IEEE 802.11 View Post
                        Two words: Tennis Racket.

Back in at my parents Carpenter Bee Tennis was a local past time. The fun part is when they circle you and you're spinning around watching him. The Universe is just you, the bee and your fight against the G-forces to swing your tennis racket.
                        Have tennis racket; he won't fall for that :d

... yet

He only has to fall for it once, though
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Just make 'im mad, he'll come after you and you can unleash the "thunk".
                          "It may disturb you. It scares the willies out of me. " -Slartibartfast

Comment

I am terrified of bees too, I was all like "hey I'm gonna make friends with nature and play with this bug" when I was like 5 and you know what I got? BOOM HEADSHOT. Fuck.

And I cosign about the tennis rackets. In gym class we were doing Tennis and I found myself swattin bees just about every day with my racket, heh.
                            e|------------------------0---------------
                            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                            A|---------------0------------------------
                            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck View Post
                              Very territorial to the point that they would speed away and chase after passing birds momentarily.
                              Yeah, they do chase birds. Before encountering this specific type of bee, I never was bothered too much by bees before.

I'm not fond of these wood bees.

Comment

Working...
                              X