No announcement yet.

Operating Systems (Split)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Most people don't overclock pcs to watch movies on them.
    e|------------------------0---------------
    B|---------------0^1----------------1----
    G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
    D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
    A|---------------0------------------------
    E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Do people actually still overclock?
      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

[0.02$]
        I wonder the same, the last time I had anything overclocked was my old P100 running on 120.

Is there a point? People getting Q6600 @ 2,4G and pumping it to 3,6G.. insane. Then I came across a few posts about CPU being "suddenly" dead, impressive..
        GPUs equipped with monstrous aftermarket coolers, overclocked to heaven and then tested for artifacts, if there are no artifacts, it's stable and good.... right.

I simply always buy directly Intel boards, they strictly conform to specs and in most cases don't allow anything like overclocking. Sure, they don't have these "nice colors" like every other Taiwanese manufacturer, but they just work, flawlessly, all the time. E.g. Asus w/ it's beta BIOSes and crappy support is a good example of a overhyped mobo manufacturer. Gigabyte is almost a synonym for DOA etc. Just no. From my experience, Intel has always been rock solid piece of hardware, if at all possible, I'll not change it for anything else. AMD is thus a bit problematic for my taste, as AMD, with some "review samples" exceptions, doesn't make boards at all, pity.

In overall, I think it's like this. Very slight overclocks are not dangerous. But slight, I mean those, that don't require new cooling setup and namely no voltage increases, are also a bit pointelss for the performance they add. And high overclocks are pointless too, as they can really have very unpleasant side effects or can kill hardware. Make your choice.
        [/0.02$]

Comment

I agree with that above statement. I've never found the need to overclock. I suppose most kids over clock so they can brag about such a trivial endeavor, and since their parents paid for the hardware they almost dont care. If it breaks then they have an excuse to beg for a new one
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

...whats an overclock?

Comment

In the off case yer being serious, overclocking is when you speed up your cpu to faster than its default setting.(gpu too I think)
              I dont know if they still do, but there was a time when manufacturers actually had a recommended overclock setting.
              Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

You can overclock processors, memory and video cards. I've also heard tell of people overclocking the cache on SSD drives, and you can overclock the processor on the Linksys WRT54G by messing with the firmware.

Comment

ah all this time ive been pronouncing it fO(ck)er the overclOcker!
                  Last edited by R00k; 11-30-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

I always thought it was pronounced foker, but focker the overclocker works too

Comment

he's Count Overclockula!!!!

Comment

microsoft windows old lucky number 7

here i was bored

I hope I dont get sued for modifiying JD's logo!
                        Last edited by R00k; 12-14-2009, 10:40 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                          I agree with that above statement. I've never found the need to overclock. I suppose most kids over clock so they can brag about such a trivial endeavor, and since their parents paid for the hardware they almost dont care. If it breaks then they have an excuse to beg for a new one

Unless your pc was just plain shitty,like my P90 oc'd to 100, woo hoo! And not to mention most hardware,whether intel or amd, comes pre-fashioned with settings in the bios for overclocking,its not so much as a fad as it is a demanded feature.

Instead of a hamburger,drink,and a fry,for 5bucks, I want all that plus I want a apple pie wid dat. OC'ing is the same way,I buy X performance expecting to squeeze the extra Y performance that didnt come enabled 'stock'....
                          [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DMSaJ1KkqQI[/ame]
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Instead of a hamburger,drink,and a fry,for 5bucks, I want all that plus I want a apple pie wid dat. OC'ing is the same way,I buy X performance expecting to squeeze the extra Y performance that didnt come enabled 'stock'....
                            Hmm when i squeeze my happy meal all i get is a pool of grease on my plate

Comment

^^ :d

Comment

Originally posted by Mindf!3ldzX View Post
                                And not to mention most hardware,whether intel or amd, comes pre-fashioned with settings in the bios for overclocking,its not so much as a fad as it is a demanded feature.
                                This is very misleading. Most computer hardware is in prebuilt systems such as Dell, HP, etc; however, most DIY/Enthusiast computer hardware has overclocking options (e.g. stuff you would find at newegg). Prebuilt systems don't have overclocking options.

Comment

Working...
                                X