Cancelling cable t.v.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cancelling cable t.v.

Cancelling TimeWarner tv service soon. Keeping their internet, unless I hear of a good bundle or something (though i refuse to get wireless internet and highly doubt wireless internet will ever happen unless a deal is simply too good to pass up.)

I would greatly appreciate peoples input, on what they have, have had and do/don't recommend. You like these guys, or dislike these guys, why? Have a link to a relative article? Share, i don't mind doing the leg work to avoid paying to get taken advantage of. I want to do all the possible reading.

Thanks in advance.

ETA: I know you guys are from all over the country, so suggest anything, i'll check and see if that company's service is an option or not. if you want to check before you post to avoid a lot of typing all for naught, my zip code is 27105. thanks again
    "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Originally posted by rev View Post
    Cancelling TimeWarner tv service soon. Keeping their internet, unless I hear of a good bundle or something
    AT&T DSL for $19.95 a month 512kb download.

Now hear me out ...

Call TimeWarner and cancel their cable internet. Explain AT&T has internet for $19.95 and even though you like Time Warner's service, you aren't a millionaire and you just check Email and watch YouTube videos.

They might just counter-offer you with an offer you cannot reasonably refuse. [Time Warner will try to keep you half-price? My cable provider tried 3 times. But I still left even though their offer was insanely good ...]

AT&T DSL is high quality, ping does not relate to bandwidth and 512 kb doesn't affect browsing experience except for Netflix. 512kb and any online game is exactly the same performance as 7000000MB per second ... online games do not eat your bandwidth at that rate.

If you live in Verizon country, the answer is the same.

Either way, cable TV these days is a sham. You *can* go to Radio Shack and get "Rabbit Ears for HDTV" and keep much of what you have for local TV. Not that I firsthand know about this, I think all TV is absolute garbage except for Jon Stewart (sniff) but every South Park is available at southparkstudios.com and so is [at Netflix] every Futurama, Family Guy, Walking Dead (I'm so/so on that) and it seems like half of all the TV series out there (and those that aren't usually have their own streaming site or hulu or whatever).

Cable TV is paying to watch commercials. It does not make any sense. Why should you pay to watch commercials? And still get a crap product with nothing on and terribly polluted unprofessional news.

/One opinion

P.S. ESPN streams most major sports events that they cover live. I watched the LSU vs. Alabama game ... well ... the last 3 minutes ... via streaming on the ESPN site.
    Last edited by Baker; 03-16-2012, 11:01 PM.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I have AT&T 1.5Mbit down / 256kbit up , but I actually get

• Incoming: 1535 kbps
      • Outgoing: 382 kbps

Not bad, and they even offer 6mbit DSL in some places. I really miss my 6mbit connection

/pouty face

Not to mention with a site like www.icefilms.info and www.watchseries-online.eu you do not need Cable TV..... The shit comes on everynight like you would imagine , minus the fucking RERUNS. Which blow anyway.....

Originally posted by AT&T
      You're at Top Speed!

You have the highest DSL speed available for your address.
      WOW YOU ARE GAY. (but AT&T still rocks)
      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 03-16-2012, 11:14 PM.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Baker - sounds good to me. minus the 512/down. there are a lot of occasions where i do need qiite a bit of bandwidth. I'm going to be adding a 3rd computer to our network in the not-so-distant future. among other things i download a lot of stuff at once, -cough- T'z -cough-. ping isn't an issue for me. i hardly play quake anymore, or any games at all for that matter. Yahoo pool is my only vice. =P

i am also contemplating getting an xbox/ps3, and will require one of their online services (so there's a 4th connection, forgot about that), is DSL compatible with those, or at least one of them? (i can't think of a logical reason DSL wouldn't be, but i need solid assurance before i sign another contract)

Mindz - thanks brah. i had a question for you, but i forgot it, if i think of it i'll let you know. love is for girls, btw.
        "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

I have windstream dsl 12/3mbps love every bit of it for $64.99 month.. They are upgrading to fiber as we speak and will be same price. They are a "rural" provider as i live 20 miles out of city limits in no mans land. At&t i heard was decent now compared to when i had them years ago in the early 2000's.. Also cable imo sucks.

Comment

@wicked - awesome. windstream would be the way i would go if i were still a bachelor. but given the fact im about to have my 3rd kid, need to get a van, and trying to move into a bigger place, i need to save money, cut back my bill. so 65 a month just for internet isn't an option until my wife gets back to work, which will be a while. thanks bud!

Comment

With Time Warner, you can go to a local store (or call them) and ask for any special deals because you're thinking of canceling. They will give you a deal. It may not be the best deal (better than a competing service) but every little bit helps. You can keep doing that every six months or a year...

Comment

Originally posted by rev View Post
                @wicked - awesome. windstream would be the way i would go if i were still a bachelor. but given the fact im about to have my 3rd kid, need to get a van, and trying to move into a bigger place, i need to save money, cut back my bill. so 65 a month just for internet isn't an option until my wife gets back to work, which will be a while. thanks bud!
                Where do you live?? And what type of work do you do??

Comment

I've had AT&T for a few years and they seem pretty good. I agree with Baker on the whole "cable is a joke" argument. You're much better off paying for Netflix and/or Hulu Plus. Paying monthly for both will cost a lot less than you do now for your cable, while still being able to watch pretty much anything you want to. I recommend getting an xbox 360 too. With that, you can easily stream plenty of material from Netflix and Hulu, and you also get other applications like ESPN, Youtube, etc.

Edit:Forgot to mention they have Crackle, which is a free video-streaming service. It doesn't have a giant selection, but it's nice considering it's free.

Comment

Solecord - thanks man. we've been doing exactly what you're saying for 4 years. finally got what we thought was a great deal and did a price lock (never again). considering where i live (outskirts of major city, border of small town) i don't have hardly any options. it's basically going to be timewarner or att. centurylink, windstream, clearwire, verizon, none of them are available on my street. so i might just be talking timewarner down. though i'm interested in U-verse, and frankly i'm sick of cable t.v., i want to try satellite.

King - If it were just me i could do the no t.v. service and do netflix/hulu. but i have two small kids and trust me, they need their t.v. Better yet, their mother needs a simplified form of television for them. They already run her to death, i can just imagine her having to work a bunch of computers and xbox's just so they can change their minds every 15 minutes. lol.

Great feedback folks. I really do appreciate it.

Comment

Originally posted by wicked_lord View Post
                      I have windstream dsl 12/3mbps love every bit of it for $64.99 month.. They are upgrading to fiber as we speak and will be same price. They are a "rural" provider as i live 20 miles out of city limits in no mans land. At&t i heard was decent now compared to when i had them years ago in the early 2000's.. Also cable imo sucks.
                      Some rural people have to use satellite, like Hughes Net, because they don't have DSL as an option.

Satellite internet is far better than nothing, but 1200 ping --- has to travel 22,000 miles up and then back down plus all the usual latency --- is unworkable for multiplayer.

What is ping through 3G or 4G network? Hmmm. Those are through cell phone towers as far as I know and Verizon has very good coverage in the USA.

[I'm sure my guess about it being through cell phone towers is correct, yet I don't make any assumptions without doing the homework first. Or at least I usually try to not make those kind of mistakes ...]
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I've seen a 3G tethered to a network and seen Quake1 played across that network, it was around 100ms ping.

I run in a small nerd circle yes. I've done forgot who the carrier was, but I would imagine it would only marginally get better.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Yea, hate TW but to get rid of them means relocating. Id drop cable but there is one channel I will miss, so am keeping it for now. Yea, TV is now commercials seperated by assinine programming at best....hard to fathom they actualy charge for it, but if you take a good look at what they got in the whitehouse now , its obviouse things are only gonna get more assinine and they will try to soak us all for more money like we have to fund their misery forever.

Comment

Originally posted by Cobalt View Post
                            Yea, hate TW but to get rid of them means relocating. Id drop cable but there is one channel I will miss, so am keeping it for now. Yea, TV is now commercials seperated by assinine programming at best....hard to fathom they actualy charge for it, but if you take a good look at what they got in the whitehouse now , its obviouse things are only gonna get more assinine and they will try to soak us all for more money like we have to fund their misery forever.
                            we got a racist, right-wing radical! tisk tisk!

haha, couldn't resist playing the typical uneducated left-wing extremist. =P

Comment

now my brains hurting.

Comment

Working...
                              X