Shitty future movies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shitty future movies

I can't explain why, but I love "shitty future" movies.

I'm watching "Atlas Shrugged" right now on Netflix and find it very entertaining.

My other favorite list of shitty future movies:

Pandorum (2010). Awesome. "Zombies" on spaceship.
    Fahrenheit 451 (The temperature that paper burns)
    THX 1138 (George Lucas)
    Escape From New York
    Blade Runner
    The Matrix (obviously)
    Robocop
    Starship Troopers (this movie has hidden layer of humor)

Ironically, Fahrenheit 451 has to be true. One time I accidentally put Digiorno pizza in with the cardboard and it never caught on fire. I guess paper really doesn't burn at 425 degrees F.

I especially love this dialogue in Blade Runner:

Holden: You're in a desert, walking along in the sand, when all of a sudden you look down...
    Leon: What one?
    Holden: What?
    Leon: What desert?
    Holden: It doesn't make any difference what desert, it's completely hypothetical.
    Leon: But, how come I'd be there?
    Holden: Maybe you're fed up. Maybe you want to be by yourself. Who knows? You look down and see a tortoise, Leon. It's crawling toward you...
    Leon: Tortoise? What's that?
    Holden: [irritated by Leon's interruptions] You know what a turtle is?
    Leon: Of course!
    Holden: Same thing.
    Leon: I've never seen a turtle... But I understand what you mean.
    Holden: You reach down and you flip the tortoise over on its back, Leon.
    Leon: Do you make up these questions, Mr. Holden? Or do they write 'em down for you?
    Holden: The tortoise lays on its back, its belly baking in the hot sun, beating its legs trying to turn itself over, but it can't. Not without your help. But you're not helping.
    Leon: [angry at the suggestion] What do you mean, I'm not helping?
    Holden: I mean: you're not helping! Why is that, Leon?
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Starship Troopers (this movie has hidden layer of humor)
    I didn't know the humor in starship troopers was considered hidden

Also I'm guessing thread title is deliberately misleading?

Comment

Originally posted by Bloodshot View Post
      Also I'm guessing thread title is deliberately misleading?
      Uh? What?

I didn't know the humor in starship troopers was considered hidden
      It definitely has a hidden layer of humor, but if you claim to know what it is prove it by explaining it.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I thought you meant the quips and style of acting for starship troopers, I always figured it wasn't meant to be taken totally seriously.

And the thread title, I meant the way you typed it, it says Shitty future movies -> first read I expected the thread to be about really shitty future movies, when it's actually about movies with a "shitty future" see where I'm goin with this?

Comment

first read I expected the thread to be about really shitty future movies, when it's actually about movies with a "shitty future" see where I'm goin with this?
          Hehe, I never considered that. I suppose that's the English language for ya.

I thought you meant the quips and style of acting for starship troopers, I always figured it wasn't meant to be taken totally seriously.
          Oh no. So wrong. Starship Troopers is totally meant to be taken seriously. The sarcasm in the movie is exquisite. And awesome. And wicked. And really, really hard to detect. The obvious part of the sarcasm is the movie is the surface. It is like an onion. The "easy" to get sarcasm is nothing compared to the 2nd layer.

I thought I caught a lot of it the first time I saw it. Then I caught more of it a few times later possibly after reading some internet postings analyzing what what really going on.

I am so upset they don't make more movies like that. Really really upset. I like it when movies really mess with your head.
          Last edited by Baker; 03-22-2012, 10:51 PM.

Comment

Nice Picks Baker. These here are sci-fi / animation, I think done fairly well. Light years ought to mess with your head:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J3FsASNavdU]Rene Laloux Gandahar Part 1 of 8 - YouTube[/ame]

This is kinda a star wars rip off...but has some good artwork:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GB3cVB87_oc&feature=related]Starchaser The Legend of Orin part 1 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Hehe, I never considered that. I suppose that's the English language for ya.

Oh no. So wrong. Starship Troopers is totally meant to be taken seriously. The sarcasm in the movie is exquisite. And awesome. And wicked. And really, really hard to detect. The obvious part of the sarcasm is the movie is the surface. It is like an onion. The "easy" to get sarcasm is nothing compared to the 2nd layer.

I thought I caught a lot of it the first time I saw it. Then I caught more of it a few times later possibly after reading some internet postings analyzing what what really going on.

I am so upset they don't make more movies like that. Really really upset. I like it when movies really mess with your head.
              That director has a definite style. It's almost like live-action graphic novel or something. Some of his others are Robocop and Total Recall. Robocop is excellent and completely insane.

Comment

c`mon lets see Zelda! lets see it! heh. ... got nothing for this wall.

I would like new gambling films to come out, or... witty crime films.

Comment

I always liked planet of the apes... but thanks baker you gave me some ideas for movies to watch.

Comment

I really enjoyed SID's Symphony.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E3LODyZSXT8[/ame]

Shitty Future movie yes
                    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Planetnine
                      oh.. wow.

Pandorum.. Someone else in this world recognizes it's greatness.
                      I was so into that movie the first time watching it and 10 minutes to end it messed up your mind so bad when I thought I knew the end, only for it to add a new fact into the equation that changed everything (twice).

I love that.

star trek movies/shows but not talking about this.
                      Star Trek The Next Generation is vapid cotton candy. The original Star Trek where Captain Kirk orders Scotty to kill all life on an entire planet if they don't release his crew is the REAL Star Trek. How many times did Captain Kirk slap or taunt/insult omnipotent beings?

Then again when Picard acted manly those moments were classic ... because ... well ... they were rare.

Im talking about movies like black hole
                      Rented 4 years ago. Dark. Large budget. Made by Disney and according to Wikipedia they caught flak for that tone in a movie, but felt sci-fi pressure due to the late 1970s being Star Wars crazy.

event horizon
                      Interesting concept. Liked.

MOON (sam rockwell)
                      Not really a "shitty future" movie, but proof that an indie film with $5 million budget can make awesome stuff. "Shitty" for main character, sure.

Sunshine
                      Will have to find out what this is. Update: haven't seen it (hadn't heard of it before either) .. Thanks!!!!

Solaris (both)...
                      Wanted to like it a lot. Kind of so/so, but still I enjoyed it more than most.

Also movies about anything deep Artic/Cold/Winter....
                      "The Edge" with Anthony Hopkins and Alex Baldwin. What a super-classic. Watched twice in last couple of weeks. What an A+++++++ movie.

Comment

Only a real captain can maintain a level head during alcohol style intoxication / complete horniness....

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ksR1ZCfpg3A]Picard & Crusher, Drunk On The Job - YouTube[/ame]

Crusher totally grabbed Picards penis.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Star Trek rules them all , and always will, and I mostly refer to TOS. The others that came after were interesting at times, but didnt have to start from scratch like the original series did, and overcome lots of obstacles that no one else had the guts to fight. It was also the first TV series ever to make it to the big screen and generate even more success.....impossibility after impossibility, they really went where no men had gone before.

Cant compare Kirk to anything, that was one of the toughest acting assignments ever , and Shatner was born to be in that role, and could almost carry that show on his own at times, and probably did. What was also the dynamic between Shatner and Nimoy at the time was unheard of, because each felt threatened by their jobs by the other, and Roddenberry sat them down and told them that working along side someone else who is as good as you , or better, can only make you look that much better.

Priceless.

Roddenberry also had an interesting Career, Airline pilot, policeman and sci fi writer.

The rest of the spinoff shows like DS9, Voyager were all ok I guess, but seemed to run out of gas because they ran off the momentum of TOS. I was surprised in 1994 when the 6th movie came out and they announced that would be the last, that the cre didnt form their own company and collectively take over the rights to the name or at least try to. Only reason I wound up liking Picard was in the Generations movie, he was pretty good in that....I saw Generations about 3 or 4 times I think, its probably my fav movie next to III which Nimoy directed.

Star Trek The Next Generation is vapid cotton candy. The original Star Trek where Captain Kirk orders Scotty to kill all life on an entire planet if they don't release his crew is the REAL Star Trek. How many times did Captain Kirk slap or taunt/insult omnipotent beings?

Then again when Picard acted manly those moments were classic ... because ... well ... they were rare.

Comment

Watch Strange Days.

It takes place in the DISTANT FUTURE OF 1999. (filmed in 1994, during the great computer/internet boom) But it paints a picture of an eerie, campy, Tom Sizemore world you wont forget any time soon

Comment

Working...
                            X