U-Verse, FASTPATH > INTERLEAVE

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• U-Verse, FASTPATH > INTERLEAVE

Does anyone know anything about U-verse. I've been on the phone with AT&T for over 2 hours non-stop with (now) going on 7 different Techs and so far 2 of 7 have told me I can change this setting in my modem because they can't change it in their system as its blocked out from changing. 1 of 7 tech's just told me that U-Verse can not be taken off Interleaved as it does not support FastPath.. Can anyone help me out on this? I've researched sites looking for answers but have ran into a dead in, as most people on forums on bandwidth speed sites say to call AT&T and beg them to change it.
    Any help would be appreciated

bandwidth differs from ping time
    i went from 56.6 to 1mb/sec with only -20 ms ping
    when i thought id be in rhe 20s
    the only major diff was when i switched from
    copper to fiber
    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Im on fiber, not copper.

Comment

I just spoke to my neighbor a moment ago, he has Comcast 6mbps down 1mbps up and he let me use his pc to do a traceroute on cax.quakeitup.com... lol 21ms-25ms.. he's got almost the same freaking routing as I got.. Vero beach > West Palm > Miami > Orlando > Atlanta.. Same shit I have pretty much..

Comment

switch to comcast i dropped at&t when they fucked me over when i went from 1.5mb to 3.0 they upgraded my bill but not my service then wouldnt reimburse me the diff in cash or credit

Comment

Well I refuse to get Comcast for 2 reasons.... 1.) its more expensive then what I pay.. I pay 69$ EVEN a month for as long as I got my service, and I get TV included with 130 channels, hbo, stars, cinemax, etc... Because my friend owns a company called ACN which specializes in getting deals for companies.. So I get his vendor discount. 2.) I had Comcast in the past here in the same area, was always down and if it wasn't down it was jerky as could be even with lower pings

Comment

But your neighbor's comcast works better than uverse....

Comment

Fuck both, there's ALWAYS dialup!

Comment

56k modem

Comment

WL was is your PING right now?? And where (you server I guess)!!

Comment

I'll deal with the ping for now, I can handle my own with a higher ping but as for my wife, she loves this download speeds.. click > download > wait.. > done..

@mark, I ping 55+ to CAX, server is in Atlanta, GA im in Florida. My routing sucks.. here is a copy of my routing below.

What sucks is look at hops 3.4.5

Tracing route to cax.quakeitup.com [173.234.122.40]
                      over a maximum of 30 hops:

1 2 ms 4 ms 1 ms homeportal [192.168.1.254]
                      2 28 ms 24 ms 22 ms 172-6-252-2.lightspeed.wepbfl.sbcglobal.net [172
                      .6.252.2]
                      3 * * * Request timed out.
                      4 * * * Request timed out.
                      5 * * * Request timed out.
                      6 25 ms 24 ms 25 ms 70.159.201.246
                      7 28 ms 29 ms 28 ms 12.81.8.78
                      8 26 ms 28 ms 25 ms 12.81.8.63
                      9 32 ms 32 ms 32 ms 74.175.192.170
                      10 33 ms 34 ms 35 ms cr82.fldfl.ip.att.net [12.123.153.114]
                      11 35 ms 34 ms 37 ms 12.122.155.173
                      12 46 ms 45 ms 46 ms 192.205.32.142
                      13 54 ms 54 ms 54 ms 144.232.6.12
                      14 54 ms 53 ms 54 ms sl-crs3-atl-0-3-0-0.sprintlink.net [144.232.4.45
                      ]
                      15 54 ms 53 ms 54 ms sl-st50-atl-.sprintlink.net [144.232.1.214]
                      16 55 ms 54 ms 55 ms sl-nlaye-469712-0.sprintlink.net [144.223.29.246
                      ]
                      17 66 ms 63 ms 63 ms as15003.xe-3-0-5.ar1.atl1.us.nlayer.net [69.31.1
                      35.98]
                      18 55 ms 53 ms 54 ms 173.234.122.40.atl.artofwarcentral.com [173.234.
                      122.40]

Comment

I remember seeing him ping 50-60 but it should be more like 30-40 or LESS with fastpath.

Interleaved is some shitty ass way of error-correcting, it was explained to me like this ;

Interleaved , data packets are sent to you,you verify you recieved data,next packet is sent,verify you recieved again,next packet is sent,etc

Fastpath , data packets are sent to you constantly whether you recieved them or not!

Wikipedia says ; Interleaving and fastpath
                        ISPs (rarely, users) have the option to use interleaving of packets to counter the effects of burst noise on the telephone line. An interleaved line has a depth, usually 8 to 64, which describes how many Reed–Solomon codewords are accumulated before they are sent. As they can all be sent together, their forward error correction codes can be made more resilient. Interleaving adds latency as all the packets have to first be gathered (or replaced by empty packets) and they, of course, all take time to transmit. 8 frame interleaving adds 5 ms round-trip-time, while 64 deep interleaving adds 25 ms. Other possible depths are 16 and 32.
                        "Fastpath" connections have an interleaving depth of 1, that is one packet is sent at a time. This has a low latency, usually around 10 ms (interleaving adds to it, this is not greater than interleaved) but it is extremely prone to errors, as any burst of noise can take out the entire packet and so require it all to be retransmitted. Such a burst on a large interleaved packet only blanks part of the packet, it can be recovered from error correction information in the rest of the packet.A "fastpath" connection will result in extremely high latency on a poor line, as each packet will take many retries.

Lower ping + more chances for Dropped Datagrams (net_stats) -VS- Higher Ping less chances for DDG , its an obvious win for fastpath.

-> http://hardforum.com/archive/index.php/t-1648148.html <- this is a forum chat where a guy verify's that someone higher up CAN and eventually WILL make the change for you, but im pretty sure there is this Tech Support "Credo" or some shit about this fastpath vs interleaved , as they will do anything and everything to tell you

-you can do it yourself
                        -it cant be done
                        -your package doesnt support it
                        -your too far away (sometimes this is true,othertimes they just want you to stfu so they can get to the next guy with problems logging into their email/ other easier shit to deal with)
                        -many other bullshit responses

Truth of the matter is, it CAN be done. I have never in my life heard of the end-user being able to switch themselves from interleaved to fastpath. I am pretty sure interleaved puts less stress on their network and thats one reason they prefer everyone be on interleaved, but fuck that. You're paying for the service and as such shouldn't have to leap through flaming fucking hoops for such a simple task as the switch from interleave to fastpath. It takes effect within an hour or two they said,my shit changed within like 10-20minutes that last time I had to deal with an incompetent tech support who's just in a hurry to get to the next ticket.

One tech support they sent out here to fix my line, decided he would simply just change me from fastpath to interleaved to solve the problem, and that made me mad bro. you remember
                        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 03-29-2013, 12:20 PM.
                        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Well chris, how about I 3-way call you on the phone with AT&T and you argue with the fucks for me... I've been trying my ass off.. I just spoke to another tech this morning and he said he can not change it on his end.. I've seen some people on ATT Uverse - Interleave to Fastpath - How? Help? - AT&T U-verse | DSLReports Forums flat out say it cant be done either.

http://forums.att.com/t5/Features-an...g/td-p/2717155
                          Last edited by wicked_lord; 03-29-2013, 04:25 PM.

Comment

WL

Seems that the basic DSL would be much better for you:

Re: Finally getting U-verse Will attempt to add DSL after its up - AT&T U-verse | DSLReports Forums

Know its been discussed before but, Ping? - AT&T Community Support

You very probably already saw this and I also suspect that anothe reason you will be "limited" is the kind of package you took (internet-phone-tv ?!?).

If I was you, I'd try to tweak W7... they are couple of simple regs that can boost your ping while kind of reducing the bandwidth overall (but you really think your GF will complain/know haha... I doubt).

Comment

Nuckfuts ; Your area is either gonna be fed VDSL(interleave and VRAD fed) or ADSL2+(CO fed). It is one or the other, no picking. VRAD VDSL qualifies for all 3 packages (TV, internet, phone) where as ADSL2+ is only phone and internet. You cannot change between either. I had 6mbps fast path xDSL before I switched to VDSL and I did not see much latency added to my ISP. I went from 19-24ms to 21-25ms first hop but it varies from area to area. I play on LIVE and host COD2 and nobody really complains. <-wow bummer
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                              X