Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Weird question

Hi!

I'm curious if anyone can explain me how this works...

Say I'm in Photoshop and I have a FHD picture (1920x1080)... resizing it at 50% will give me the result 960x540... how so?

While exploring the "inexplicable" tell me at the same time how 2 positive numbers multiplied by each other are given a lower result (0.5 x 0.4 for example).

This is how I explain Rampage's quote in my signature... 1 is 100% and when 2 great players are playing together they then don't try 100% so <1 x <1 = <1 (some kind of theory if basic maths are true).

Never trust stats (just my 2 cents) haha!!
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Mom; 03-31-2013, 11:14 PM.

Maybe I don't get it but you are half'ing both height and width! What's the problem?
    Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

The problem?? I never have problems only solutions.

But there is a 25% surface remaining while asking to reduce it by 50%... you give a good answer but it doesn't fill my curiousity!

P.S.

Damage you were fast to answer the question I've edited my original message and you should try to answer the 2nd part that wad added??

Comment

tada...

If you multiply by a number greater than 1, the product will be
        greater than what you started with. If you multiply by 1, the product
        is the same as what you started with. If you multiply by a number less
        than 1, the product is less than what you started with.

SOURCE: http://mathforum.org/library/drmath/view/58965.html
        Name's damage_inc, and killing is my business. Don't worry though, it's nothing personal! Oh wait... maybe it is

Comment

Originally posted by damage_inc View Post
          tada...

If you multiply by a number greater than 1, the product will be
          greater than what you started with. If you multiply by 1, the product
          is the same as what you started with. If you multiply by a number less
          than 1, the product is less than what you started with.

SOURCE: Math Forum - Ask Dr. Math
          These are just the rules... imagine they are wrong??!

I mean it got to be... it always been!

Comment

OBEY TIME CUBE

Comment

All right I got the answer thanks to Damage... It's called "exception"!

Why invent a new word just because the original narrow meaning of the word doesn't fit any more? (Reference).

Well I've had a kind of explaination to this problem when I've tried a new "discipline" (a new word) called "differential calculus"... it's really so fun!
              Last edited by Mom; 03-31-2013, 11:31 PM.

Comment

It's not cropping the image

It's SCALING the image through further means of compression ! both in resolution,and im sure other factors as well.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

The issue is that the 50% resizing is being done on the lengths and not the area (which seems to be what you want instead). This is common practice, although more advanced image editors might be able to offer additional options to get what you want. Let's explore the math:

You may remember that...
                  Width X Height = Area

...and also that Area is squared units of measure. In this instance, px^2 (squared pixels).
                  Now using your image above, the area of a 1920px x 1080px image is 2,073,600px^2. If we were to halve THAT instead, we would have a measurement of 1,036,800px^2; that is the size of the image you want.

But there's a problem! 1,036,800px^2 is the area of the image but not the dimensions! That is to say, you know how much area the image covers but not what the width and height are! This is where having an image editor that is smart use useful, because it'll figure out the aspect ratio based on the original image (if you ask it to preserve it anyway). Suffice it to say that the aspect ratio is 16:9 which means for every 16px of width, there should be 9px of height. Plugging our area into that means (and skipping the math) our new dimensions are 1440px x 810px.

So the "inexplicable" in this case is just that you told Photoshop to do the wrong thing. You asked it to halve the width and height, but what you wanted was for it to halve the area instead.

For your question about "Two positive numbers multiplied make a number less than either" question you're just being silly. 1a = a ; and 0a = 0; so any multiplication by a number less than 1 will only move a closer to zero. Why is this the case?
                  You need to remember that multiplication is just a simplified way of repeated additions.
                  2x3=6; is the same as saying 2+2+2=6; or 3x2=6 is the same as 3+3=6;
                  Thus 2a = a + a; or 4a = a+a+a+a;
                  This is also why 1a = a; because all we are saying is "a = a" because we are only "adding" a single a to nothing else.
                  The importance to your question comes into play when we use the decimal place, like in 0.5, instead.
                  0.5x4 = 2; but why? Because we're adding two partial values together!
                  0.5x4 = 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 2;
                  This is harder to type out (a number line or fractions would be better) but we can do the same thing by flipping the values to see it a little differently:
                  4x0.5 = 2; because "Four, added one-half times, equals two". (sorry, that's the best I can do without making an image, which I can't do right now).

So in your example, you're doing some addition using less than a whole number for both sides, "One-half, added four-tenths times, equals two-tenths". Essentially, you're only getting four-tenths of a half, which is the same as two-tenths (also known as one-fifth!).

This is also why 1x1=1. "One, added once, equals one". Unless one of those is negative though, it won't be negative one.

Comment

Mark, after 50% your image select view->actual pixels... wont look so small.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by Hectate View Post
                      So the "inexplicable" in this case is just that you told Photoshop to do the wrong thing. You asked it to halve the width and height, but what you wanted was for it to halve the area instead.

For your question about "Two positive numbers multiplied make a number less than either" question you're just being silly. 1a = a ; and 0a = 0; so any multiplication by a number less than 1 will only move a closer to zero. Why is this the case?
                      You need to remember that multiplication is just a simplified way of repeated additions.
                      2x3=6; is the same as saying 2+2+2=6; or 3x2=6 is the same as 3+3=6;
                      Thus 2a = a + a; or 4a = a+a+a+a;
                      This is also why 1a = a; because all we are saying is "a = a" because we are only "adding" a single a to nothing else.
                      The importance to your question comes into play when we use the decimal place, like in 0.5, instead.
                      0.5x4 = 2; but why? Because we're adding two partial values together!
                      0.5x4 = 0.5+0.5+0.5+0.5 = 2;
                      This is harder to type out (a number line or fractions would be better) but we can do the same thing by flipping the values to see it a little differently:
                      4x0.5 = 2; because "Four, added one-half times, equals two". (sorry, that's the best I can do without making an image, which I can't do right now).
                      I did one cant find it is someone erased it will check attachment. but here if they would be the closer to 5 (half) goes its way that would be fair enough.

So in your example, you're doing some addition using less than a whole number for both sides, "One-half, added four-tenths times, equals two-tenths". Essentially, you're only getting four-tenths of a half, which is the same as two-tenths (also known as one-fifth!).

This is also why 1x1=1. "One, added once, equals one". Unless one of those is negative though, it won't be negative one.
                      Can I abuse only just a little... is Y2K the real Y2K like vast majority agree or the age <1year (still 1999) is just a lost too hehe

Next one (question jk) will be space traveling I guess.
                      Last edited by Mom; 04-01-2013, 12:39 PM.

Comment

I'm not sure what you mean by the question exactly, but I assume you're talking about how our calendar year is an arbitrary date based on "Anno Domini" (thus AD). Here's a great page explaining it somewhat: AD and BC

Given that any system of dates is relevant only so long as all parties using it agree on a common standard for that system, saying that we're currently in 2013 is accurate as long as you understand the context. I could also say that this morning at midnight we passed "Unix Epoch 1364774400" and be completely accurate despite measuring the time via a different system.

Comment

Hey!!

I know I was not clear at all but I do +/- understand what I'm trying to mean and won't keep trying and trying (cause I just can't lol).

But we do not count year 0... when you were born you had like no positive "year" to your age cause it wasn't "1" yet just like 0.5 x 0.4.

Also it means that when you reach year 2k for example it is not 2k it's 2k+1 (the 0 year) right ?? hehe

I'll have to check this further another time!

Comment

Touch my buns

Comment

Working...
                            X