CTF ladder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CTF ladder

What do you all think of a 2 v 2 ctf ladder? From the failure of a league and a tournament I've come to realize that the one thing that could work in the current state of nqctf, is a ladder.

I made many mistakes the last couple times, here are a few that come to mind. I actively recruited players that were exclusively ca/dm players, which led to players who were unreliable. I also recruited players who used to play nqctf, but had become inactive for quite a while. Like the ca/dm players, these players were also unreliable and lost interest quickly. With the type of players listed above and the league/tournament format it was a recipe for failure. Once one player becomes inactive it leads to almost a domino effect where the team then becomes inactive and then the whole league collapses. In a ladder format if a team, or player becomes inactive it doesn't impact the competition quite like it would in a league or tournament.

So here are my basic suggestions, which are subject to change when I get input from the possible players. Teams of two, which are formed by the players themselves. Last time I tried to put together equal teams with the people who registered. It was a pain in the ass and ended up complicating things. Allowing the players to form teams ensures that the teams contain two players who get along and can keep in contact. I hope that players realize that there's nothing on the line here other than some friendly competition, so please don't form a super team that contains two superb players. Try to team up with another player who compliments your skill level. We can do either one map, where the winner of that wins the match, or best of 3, whichever you all prefer. I'm going to limit the maps that can be chosen to the ones in which 2 v 2 is playable.

We have at the minimum 10 - 12 active players, so if that's all we get that still gives us 5 or 6 teams, which is plenty for what I want to do. I have more to say, but I don't want to make this post longer than it already is. I just want to start the discussion.

nice idea, I just hope it doesnt kill ctf like last time we tried it.

besides - its 11 pm on a Sunday and I dont see anyone on the server, so where are all those active players....

Comment

We usually play after CD's gf goes to bed around midnight
      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

dfw

yes this is true..
        midnight maneuvers is what ctf is all about..
        and if it's day time ctfin .. i'm usually on speak of and on during the day so.. either or.

Comment

I use to try and always be on the server around 11pm CST just to make sure people saw someone there. Lately though, even if I'm there, noone comes til around midnight. I've had a few things going on in real life anyways, so I usually try to be there around 11:30.

I like the basic idea you presented and I know we talked about this some on the server after everyone starts bailing but here's my input (you may have thought of some of this already or we may have already talked about it):

An official/referee must be present for the match.

I think it should be 3 maps, one each team picks and a tiebreaker. Tiebreaker is something both teams must agree on. Maybe even have the tiebreaker chosen at random by an official? I can elaborate on the official-chosen tiebreaker if that sounds viable.

I'd like to have the map pool created by the participants. Maybe have each team that registers pick 2 maps (one for each player) to go into the map pool and the map pool could be created from that. That may not be enough so could do like 4-5 maps per team? I dunno.

Would quad be allowed for all maps or is this something decided on by the teams? Would runes be an option too? I think runes could add another dimension to the game. Pent/Eyes would definitely not be an option.

How would playing matches work? Set a day and allow both teams to play at sometime from 12:00am to 11:59pm that day?

Elaborate more on your idea for the ladder so more comments can be made. That's all I can think of at the moment. It's 11:17pm and I'm ready to get on the server and wait for you homos to show up.

<3
          PanterA-RuM - chase_active 1 - Panix!

Comment

so that's why theres a referee.... so cool..
            Let's start youtubin it!
            All referee's must video and upload the matches!!!

Comment

The problem I see with an official being present is, that's one more person that has to be present for the match to occur, which makes it more likely the match won't take place. If we have enough guys who are willing to be an official I guess it's not a problem.

I'd just like a very minimal page created where the current rankings on the ladder are displayed, with the results of each match displayed somewhere on the page as well. In the results page it would have a screenshot of the match and any demos available for download. It would be nice if we could also upload some of the demos to youtube. This would be a good form of advertisement for the ladder.

I'd also like to use this message board for all forms of communication dealing with the league. For example, matches should be set up on here, anyone wanting to participate in the league should sign up on here, and any questions should be asked through here. Last time we created an irc channel for communication, which got a lot of activity, but unfortunately a number of participants didn't use it. This led to some confusion among players.

I've never participated fully in a ladder, so I'm not sure what the standard challenge process is. I'm guessing you alternate from challenging and accepting challenges. I'd think we'd allow someone can challenge up to two spots above where they are at, and vice versa, they can be challenged by someone up to two spots below them.

One last thing I'd like to start the discussion on is maps. I think the obvious maps to include are ctf 1, two base (which is a loc map), ctf2m3, pig (another loc map). I'd like to include a couple of id maps, but that is up to the players, e2m1 and e2m2 both work well for 2 v 2 I think. Ctf2m8 is borderline too large for 2 v 2, but I think it could work. Lastly I prefer quad being turned off for 2 v 2, because it is a huge distraction to the action and can lead to a more lopsided match.

Comment

two words
                volun teer.

...and maybe a 3rd .. volun teer referee!

actually YOU did that the other day dagnamit.

but um.. here's some research i dug up for ya cd

Ladder match - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

..ps.. 'im just posting random shit here heheh

oh and .. wolverines out

WiseVid - QFN XMOWW

Comment

The problem I see with an official being present is, that's one more person that has to be present for the match to occur, which makes it more likely the match won't take place. If we have enough guys who are willing to be an official I guess it's not a problem.
                  I can setup an auto-admin to autodemo every game played.

More to the point HDZbox is a fat pigbaloon squirting latency and packet loss!
                  A central server could be available if people want. I'm talking Kansas based so its pretty damn central!

Comment

Kansas server sounds good to me. It would be nice if we could first get an ip, so we could see how the East and West coast players ping there ( we know the central players will ping low there).

Comment

Ya, I wish i had a handy local oh wait www.kctv5.com is a local based server
                      maybe ping that??

Comment

blast!... for every Kansas server I find... I shall kill you!!!

Comment

touch my buns

Comment

ya btw i changed the damn admin code to hdz server. i hate cit when pz admins up then uses my name and then i cant kick him cause of his blatent abuse. So PZ tada! im not mad i just got even.

Power is when it hurts to move, but when you do, it affects people.

Comment

How does a topic that involves a possible ctf ladder digress into Zord's random nonsense and Rook's drunkenness. !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Rook, changing the admin only hurts the games when things need to be taken care of. Your mistake was letting Zord have admin, not letting Panix and I have it.

Comment

Working...
                              X