Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Sick of Tourneys Failing? (DM Tournament)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I believe there is reason to believe that a dm tournament could work, in contrast to the ctf tournament failing. I believe this to be the case for a few reasons.

The majority of quake players that play consistently these days are ca players, many of which also play dm. DM is more similar to ca than ctf, which is a large reason why the ctf tournament failed. I'd estimate half of the players who signed up for the ctf tournament were ca players. Most of these players didn't have much of a commitment to the tournament, because of this, it was destined to fail. I believe you would have a better chance of keeping the ca player base committed to a DM tourney, than we had with a ctf tourney.

Zild, you mentioned that there were many complaints about the teams formed for the ctf tournament. If you remember we put those teams together completely, which in hindsight was probably the wrong way to go about it. That's why I suggested we have a certain number of captains pick the teams themselves. I don't like the idea of having teams put together by the players themselves. What incentive do the players who are below average have to sign up for this tournament? You know how this works, the good players all sign up on the same team and the bad players are left forming teams made up of themselves. This will lead to a lot of inactivity once the poor teams figure out how much better the elite team(s).

Comment

nice kimping

Comment

Just an idea, after we advertise this tourney, get a sign up list.
        Then a couple of organizers can rate the players, say 1-4 points, 4 being really good.
        Each team to have maximum, for examples sake...10-12 points,and say 4 players.
        So you would need to spread the wealth, one "4" player, one "3" player and two "2" players
        etc.
        There was one CA tourney where we did a massive draft on IRC and it was pretty cool (might be impossible today to do that)

Comment

Even with hacks, I suck at dm. Although money is money ;o

Comment

for the record, no, i am not sick of tourneys failing.

Comment

I don't DM.. don't care to. But can admin hdz's DM server. I can help organize, manage, etc. Zild is a good dude and I'll help him out with it any way I can. Only way it will work is if teams are chosen randomly. We need to know how many players per a team first..(no more than 3-4?) then get a number of how many people want to be involved. I can handle randomly assigned teams with a simple script. If for some reason the teams look stacked, we'll just offset a couple groups and re scramble.

I think this would work better as DM first.. Zilds idea of a prize would be nice.. I think everyone is too cheap, doesn't care, or still lives at home with mom to buy into the tourney. The adults with jobs that want to see something like this happen can contact me at [email protected]. I'll willing to throw some dough for prizes for the winners. I won't give them money itself. I think we could finish the DM tourney and give the winning team an option of video upgrade, memory, or hdd to their system specs. Their choice. Our choice of hardware based on their specs, but an upgrade to the winners none the less..

Comment

Well.. I don't know much about DM matches. Might talk to bibs or something.. but I think would probably be best to do teams of 3 if possible. Have 3 different maps that can be picked to play on (most popular dm maps, could do a poll about it). Each scrambled team picks a map. whatever isn't chosen (possible 2 maps) - can be the tie-breaker map. Change a few of the rage.quakeone.com ports over to dm mod. Give 1-2 weeks of practice with the scrambled teams to formulate game plans and strategies. See what happens..

Comment

Originally posted by SUNSHINE View Post
                  I'll willing to throw some dough for prizes for the winners. I won't give them money itself. I think we could finish the DM tourney and give the winning team an option of video upgrade, memory, or hdd to their system specs. Their choice. Our choice of hardware based on their specs, but an upgrade to the winners none the less..

This excludes Javi (JM, JaviMars).. I don't think we have enough money to upgrade any of his components. teehee

Comment

Originally posted by SUNSHINE View Post
                    Change a few of the rage.quakeone.com ports over to dm mod.
                    Yes rage.quakeone.com ports are a great place to host the
                    DM tournament, since it has the most centralized location
                    of all servers, with both east and west coasters pinging 60-70.

Comment

Well here's a list of some active current DM players:

1. bruce
                      2. lenny
                      3. krix
                      4. seantaylor (Sting)
                      5. turtlevan
                      6. b4da1m
                      7. shok
                      8. cd
                      9. zildjian
                      10. akinyle
                      11. tical (jake)
                      12. powerzord
                      13. temper
                      14. nexus
                      15. diego
                      16. wolverine
                      17. souless
                      18. bizarroevade
                      19. bizarromonkey
                      20. lennox
                      21. bosh
                      22. k3rm1t
                      23. trem0r
                      24. drama
                      25. Bam
                      26. goblin_tu
                      27. patton
                      28. r00k
                      29. glitch
                      30. lunaticigh
                      31. mindz
                      32. 4brains

This makes possible 8 teams/clans of 4 players each...

Comment

stfu kimp...

Comment

Anyone know who the admin of quake.crmod.com is? It's a good server in chicago, but some of us can not connect due to using qrack. Is it possible for him to switch the dm mod over to what is used at dm.clanhdz.com?

Lastly, does anyone know the admin of quake.shmack.net? I think his name is slot zero. Would it be possible for him to switch quake.shmack.net:26002 over to a dm mod like dm.clanhdz.com as well?

Since dm.clanhdz.com has pl up that ass for everyone, it would be nice to have a couple usable dm servers with the regular dm mod on it.

OH WAIT ONE MORE THING, KIMP'D!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!

Comment

Originally posted by cd57 View Post
                            Anyone know who the admin of quake.crmod.com is? It's a good server in chicago, but some of us can not connect due to using qrack. Is it possible for him to switch the dm mod over to what is used at dm.clanhdz.com?
                            If enough people email [email protected], he said he would yield to the
                            majority, and so this way you can get him to switch the mod at quake.crmod.com to that used at dm.clanhdz.com

Originally posted by cd57 View Post
                            Lastly, does anyone know the admin of quake.shmack.net? I think his name is slot zero. Would it be possible for him to switch quake.shmack.net:26002 over to a dm mod like dm.clanhdz.com as well?
                            Likewise, slotzero said if enough people contact him, [email protected] , the port 26002 quake.shmack.net could be made dm mod like dm.clanhdz.com

Comment

On that note, slot zero just sent me a reply email
                              saying he removed the required security files from quake.crmod.com.

Thus everyone can play at quake.crmod.com now.

Comment

Originally posted by cometx77 View Post
                                On that note, slot zero just sent me a reply email
                                saying he removed the required security files from quake.crmod.com.

Thus everyone can play at quake.crmod.com now.

Hahaha Excellent Kimp!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X