Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tea Monster
    replied
    He's looking good (if I say so mysefl!). The level looks good.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    Hi TM,
    As is often the case I was unexpededly called in to work on Sunday to deal with a technical issue which blew out my dev time that I had alloted for importing the Ogre. That said I had a tinker with it last night and the ogre model is now in place and looking as follows

Thanks for making this available TM, as mentioned before but just to put your mind at rest I have no plans to sell this as a game, I am merely trying to learn something and possibly give something fun back to the community if I ever manage to finish this, but rest assured full credit would be given for both models.

Kind regards
    Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 01-27-2021, 02:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Tea Monster
    replied
    I've uploaded an FBX of the Ogre. I've included an FBX texture set for the Ogre (I've not done one for the weapons).

https://github.com/te4monster/classi...ter/Quake/Ogre

The finished Shubby is up there too.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    Originally posted by Tea Monster View Post
    Good job overall. If you want a copy of my Ogre model in FBX, let me know.
    Hi TM
    As long as you don't mind then yes please. I had planned to integrate your latest version of the Shubby in to my little project over the coming weekend (work permitting) so I could probably try and do the Ogre while I am at it.

Many thanks
    Monty

Leave a comment:

• Tea Monster
    replied
    Good job overall. If you want a copy of my Ogre model in FBX, let me know.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    This thread doesn't seem quite the right place to log the progression of a learning project so I've set up a project thread with a downloadable demo and I'll be posting further updates on there. If anyone is crazy enough to be interested in my wacky little project, and would like post any constructive criticisms and ideas please feel free to join me there.

Kind regards
    Mr.B

Leave a comment:

• jamie225
    replied
    nice designs

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    Move the shadow to the mortar and decrease it's "intensity" to 20% of whatever it is (maybe even lower). That should make the mortar look inset or at least get you in the pocket.

Another thing I noticed is that your lights are too hot. You'll get slow roasted in your main room . Then again, maybe that can be your "thing". You can call the map Rotisserie Ranger . Every time you walk in a hot room all the sweat on your body can turn to steam and a little sound effect can play of the ranger saying "Gah!"

@virus check
    Lol! I dig your humbleness but, I doubt you are so bad at making games that you accidentally added a virus
    Last edited by MadGypsy; 05-17-2018, 08:17 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    Hi MG
    Thanks for contributing I have to agree with you, on the video and even in the mini screenshot on this thread it does look that way. I just fired it back up again and although in game it doesn't seem to look as bad, it does seem to be a bit odd as the Insane bump app seems to have put the dark side at the top if each brick (see screenshot). If anything it looks a little offset to my untrained eye.

E1m7ishWallCloseUp.PNG
    I'll have a tweak with the settings in Insanebump and see if I can fix it.

I don't know if you can access this but I did a quick export of just the WIP e1m7 level (at https://1drv.ms/u/s!AqxgY7srs-bFpxqW3o_PTFn6HOVQ) in case creative and helpful people like yourself, Talisa, seven, etc wanted to take a peak or have better ideas. If anyone does want to take a look then please bear in mind that it is a VERY rough unfinished version, it will be broken and full of bugs, please thoroughly virus check it before using, and you use it at your own risk, etc. Oh and press q to exit.

Kind regards

Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-17-2018, 06:12 AM.

Leave a comment:

• MadGypsy
    replied
    The video shows promise. The normal map for your bricks is negative. The brick should protrude slightly more than the mortar. I've built and tuck-pointed plenty of brick walls. The situation your wall depicts would not only be very complicated to reproduce in real life it is impossible to maintain. Less than a year of weather would wash away all the protruding mortar. Even with no weather that stuff would be falling off in chunks in low/no humidity.

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    image_2877.jpg
    Originally posted by Seven View Post
    Hey Mr.Burns,
    Is your alter ego in that clip Chton himself ? Because sometimes you can see some spikes and wild things sticking out of it
    I thought, hmmm maybe he is walking around checking if no intruders are there, hehehe.
    Hi Seven,
    The idea was to have a choice of player characters than people can use each will their own strengths and apperance. So if you wanted a regular marine (ranger) type character then that's fine as it's the default. However, I noticed a number of players I know that have been using the ranger for 20 years are now using female player characters in other games so it seems clear that some players would like a choice of player model. The one you have noticed (with your eagle eye vision ) is just one I picked up online...
    https://d2ujflorbtfzji.cloudfront.ne...cf6_scaled.jpg but it needs more rigging and a few special movements, plus I would like to add several different selectable player model options (male / female / ethnically diverse / Varying physical builds).

The current lava is good for a place holder. But yes, not very convincing. It should move a little and do some crazy things like small eruptions or other gfx.
    Duly Noted

It is amazing to see how much effort you put into your project. I do not know if you are a team or any details about it.
    Thank you for your time creating and sharing the clip.
    You are welcome
    My little project is something I do in my spare time to get a better understanding of game development as its one of the few areas left that I haven't had at least some exposure to. There's no team, only little old me but a helpful game player and Game Dev called Hammiz is a gold mine of modern game play ideas, is very obliging and helpful, and deserves at least some credit. I don't want to say too much at this point, but my idea was to produce an FPS set in the future but has a temporal element to it which allows players to play in different time periods, using a wide variety of weapons against a common but somewhat devious enemy to complete a series of preset missions. The Quake-like elements are really easter eggs that can be accessed and played as a bit of nostalgia and to try and promote the game.

See you around in one of the Quake maps
    Best regards,
    Seven
    Lets hope so. It would be fun to play online, if you fancy a game even something like coop, please feel free to PM me.
    Warm regards
    Mr.B
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-13-2018, 03:30 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Hey Mr.Burns,

Yes, that is definitely e1m7.
    Now, with the advanced features and visuals of todays engines and stuff you can see how "squary" and simple the Quake maps have been.
    But on the other hand, I like FPS maps to be simple in general, so you can better see pickups or monsters or stuff and dont get distracted by countless details and content.
    If you look at the recently released Doom 2016: I can hardly play it because I never see those tiny weapons, ammo or other pickups. They get lost between all those map details. At least for me. LOL
    And another disadvantage about those super realistic levels: They take forever to be made. But yes I know, the young people of todays generation request over the top details and realism. Too bad...

I do not know if you knew, but there are currently some VERY promising game developments that aim to be successors of old legends like Heretic or Hexen.
    They are called: AmidEvil and Apocryph. They have been released as early access games already and I like them a lot. Exactly the correct amount of details and realy close to the original game spirits.
    Give them a try if you find the time.

Regarding your video:
    Is your alter ego in that clip Chton himself ? Because sometimes you can see some spikes and wild things sticking out of it
    I thought, hmmm maybe he is walking around checking if no intruders are there, hehehe.
    The current lava is good for a place holder. But yes, not very convincing. It should move a little and do some crazy things like small eruptions or other gfx.

It is amazing to see how much effort you put into your project. I do not know if you are a team or any details about it.
    Thank you for your time creating and sharing the clip.
    See you around in one of the Quake maps
    Best regards,
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    ...Looking forward to your next clip/screenshot.

Have a nice weekend and do not forget to also participate in real life
    Seven
    Thanks Seven, that's very kind of you.
    I thought a quick video might capture my "vat of Orange Juice" dilemma a little better

Kind regards
    Monty

Leave a comment:

• Seven
    replied
    Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
    ... especially given my lack of skills...
    What I like about you is your modesty. Even though we all know by now that your skills are far beyond "lacking", it shows a lot about your personality. That is great.

I've been working on something I call "E1m7ish" during my lunchtimes this week using pbr textures but I'm having a little trouble getting a believeable lava to work. I might just "bite the bullett" as they say and buy an effect for it (eg https://assetstore.unity.com/package...ronment-112703)
    I know exactly what you mean. It is the same with me. Without other peoples support we all would still be at the very beginning. It is impossible to do everything by oneself. You must concentrate on the things you like and enjoy; and fill the rest with existing content. It would be a big pain otherwise. Noone builds a house and even creates all the materials needed for it by himself. It would take a lifetime and would look bad in the end. That is maybe a good comparism.

as most of my attempts so far turn out like large pools of Orange Juice (Orangensaft) .
    Hehe, at least it bubbles and moves. But yes, your linked commercial lava looks really amazing and a bitbetter than Orangensaft

Looking forward to your next clip/screenshot.

Have a nice weekend and do not forget to also participate in real life
    Seven

Leave a comment:

• Mr.Burns
    replied
    Thanks Seven. Coming from you, as someone that has really nailed the dark, sinister, evil, Quake atmosphere in almost everything I've seen you do, I take that as quite a compliment (especially given my lack of skills ). Funnily enough I've been working on something I call "E1m7ish" during my lunchtimes this week using pbr textures but I'm having a little trouble getting a believeable lava to work. I might just "bite the bullett" as they say and buy an effect for it (eg https://assetstore.unity.com/package...ronment-112703) as most of my attempts so far turn out like large pools of Orange Juice (Orangensaft) . I'll put up a screenshot or two later on today.
    Kind regards
    Monty
    Last edited by Mr.Burns; 05-12-2018, 07:39 AM.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X