John Romero is making a new FPS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• John Romero is making a new FPS

Some people will know John Romero as a founder of id Software and one of the creators behind classics such as Doom and Wolfenstein 3D. But Romero is also known as the designer of the infamous Daikatana and being the name behind an ad that read, "Jone Romero's about to make you his bitch."
    Although he's continued to make games, Romero hasn't returned to the shooter genre since Daikatana, but it sounds like that's about to change. Speaking on the Super Joystiq Podcast, Romero said, "I haven't made a shooter since 2000. So I'm basically starting to work on another one."
    We don't have any other details about the game, but according to Joystiq, the game will come from Romero Games and not from a mobile gaming studio. However, one of Romero's recent successful games was the free-to-play Ravenwood Fair, and he's also said in interviews that, "Free-to-play has killed a hundred AAA studios."
    If Romero does make a comeback, what would you want to see? Let us know in the comments below.
    -Doom Creator John Romero Working on First Shooter in 14 Years - GameSpot

I wonder how many people are going to get pissed off at this.

My thoughts on Daikatana was that it wasn't a bad game, it certainly wasn't as bad as what id has been putting out for the past decade. People always seem to forget about the stuff Romero did with id before Daikatana, as if Daikatana was all he ever did and was capable of creating only that level of quality.

don't get mad, get glad! glad garbage bags
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Nobody is forgetting that John Romero can make a mean game. They're just remembering that he has an awful lot of trouble focusing on doing exactly that, while keeping a team together, delivering on a deadline, and not blowing through cash like it was nosecandy.

He hasnt had a lot of high profile successes since daikatana, its not that nobody is giving him a chance, its that the games arent exactly crashing through the floodgates.

I lament that. I'm interested to see what he comes up with. I'd like to see him do an adventure game though, since thats what he got excited about when quake was supposed to be one.
      Gnounc's Project Graveyard Gnounc's git repo

Comment

It'll probably be a good game, but people have extreme expectations which it'll hardly meet.

Romero is capable of doing cool things though, and I think he's older and wiser, so it might just be good.
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Any games coming from id when Romero was not aboard any more just weren't the same any more, starting with Quake II. Technically, the games were still great and had long SP campaigns, but somehow the soul was missing (besides, I don't remember Q2 having great multiplayer, and any other besides Q3, neither).

If Romero has learned anything in the last 14 years since Daikatana, then his new attempt at making an enjoyable shooter might work out. Personally, I wish him the best and hope that the game will be finished a lot faster this time.
          Authentic Models Pack
          OriOn's ID1 Model Fixes for MP1+2
          LIT/VIS files for Quake addons

Comment

I really look forward to seeing what Romero is going to do but I do think that there is a place in time for lightning in a bottle. That is to say, I have a hard time thinking it will be that good without his partner form the 90's.

I think Carmack and Romero had a great thing going for a few years and came out with some amazing games because they were a yin and yang to each other. However, since the break up, neither Romero or Carmack have released anything completely amazing.

Carmack released good games without Romero with Quake 2 and 3 but since the 90's, ID hasn't released anything all that amazing (Though i do hear the new Wolfenstein is pretty good).

Basically, I think Romero will have a hard time getting back to that time when everything he touched turned to gold. But i really am looking forward to what he will do! I hope he proves me wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by ArrrCee View Post
              I think Carmack and Romero had a great thing going for a few years and came out with some amazing games because they were a yin and yang to each other. However, since the break up, neither Romero or Carmack have released anything completely amazing.

Carmack released good games without Romero with Quake 2 and 3 but since the 90's, ID hasn't released anything all that amazing (Though i do hear the new Wolfenstein is pretty good).
              I agree! Carmack and Romero were awesome partners. They had excellent chemistry. Ever since Romero left idsoftware, idsoftware slowly started to go downhill... From my understanding, Carmack was the logical thinker and Romero was the creative guy. Those two geniuses needed each other. Quake 2 and Quake 3 were good games. But still, I'm looking for a game that really gets my heart pumping. I'm looking for a game that will really make me jump to the moon. It's hard to find a game that has made an extremely long-lasting impression... I can think of a few games: Quake, Doom, and Wolfenstein 3D. Ever since the beginning of 2000, I have yet to see an eye-popping, explosive, first-class quality shooting game... Ever since the start of 2000, shooting games have turned into "commercial items" (for lack of a better expression). My tone is a little bit funny, but to a degree, I am being serious... If the first-person shooting game industry is going to make a comeback, it has to do something very dramatic (something very sick).
              "Through my contact lenses, I have seen them all, I've seen wicked clowns and broken dreams / Crazy men in jumpsuits trying to be extreme and messing around with your computer screen" - Creative Rhyme (03/23/2012)

Comment

The only other first-person games that really blew me away and made a lasting impression were probably Mirror's Edge and STALKER: Shadow of Chernobyl.

And perhaps Portal and the original Call of Duty.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Romero rock's, I can't wait to see what he churns out.
                  Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

John has a shortness of breath.

He gets excited and goes full throttle.
                    It's hard to steer at that velocity.

I hope he has learned how to fly his kite by now.

I really hope he does not do like John C and try to make everything himself.

look at Unreal engine, it is 10x better than ID tech5 so
                    i hope he doesnt take a solo course, yet, hire a team to work together, and make his dream game!

hehe im just here for the ride...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLhN__oEHaw[/ame]
                    Last edited by R00k; 08-18-2014, 10:24 PM.
                    www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

John has a shortness of breath.

He gets excited and goes full throttle.
                      It's hard to steer at that velocity.

I hope he has learned how to ride his rocket by now.

I really hope he does not do like John C and try to make everything himself.

look at Unreal engine, it is 10x better than ID tech5 so
                      i hope he doesnt take a solo course, and hires people to pull together his dream!
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Working...
                      X