Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Board games

Do you play board games?

If so, which ones do you prefer - the modern ones like Monopoly or Settlers, or the classical ones like Chess and Backgammon?

Which one is your favourite and why?

Do you have any board game software installed on your computer?

How many different board games do you actually know the rules for?

Not interested? Hate board games? Tell us why

Yay
    100.00%
    Nay.
    0.00%
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

I love board games. I have a group of friends who we try to get a gaming session in once a month, sometimes every other week. We play games such as:
    • Battlestar Gallactica
    • Risk Legacy
    • Galaxy Trucker
    • Heroscape
    • Quarriors
    • Smash Up
    • Kings of Tokyo
    • Last Night On Earth
    • Robo Rally

Tons more too... lots of fun!

Comment

I'll have to youtube some of those, Solecord. Interesting stuff! I really like board games as well.

I have been into historical games like Chess and Hnefatafl for a while now. I find it interesting how the rules have sometimes survived in obscure sources and how games have been transferred from an older culture to a younger one. For example Hnefatafl (viking chess) is descended from the Roman ludus latrunculorum, which descends from Greek petteia, which descends from some Egyptian game. Crazy stuff!

Likewise, Backgammon descended from a whole number of Roman, Persian, Egyptian and Babylonian games. These games are truly a common heritage of mankind.

I also love e.g. Settlers of Catan. I have many awesome memories of playing that game with friends and family. Same for several obscure board games from the 80s and 90s.

Currently trying to get my dad into online chess. :-p

Edit: Oh yeah, I've been looking into Senet recently too. Fascinating game.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k9XIMkapokc[/ame]
      Last edited by golden_boy; 11-30-2014, 11:12 AM.
      Scout's Journey
      Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Chess. No question the king of board games. If you must learn any other learn GO. That is all.

Comment

Go is a respectable game, but I can't muster enough interest to play it seriously. Chess has more different pieces and moves. It is also my impression that you can play chess more aggressively than Go (thus it seems to be more fun) and that Chess has more interesting combinations (sequences of moves), but I might be wrong.

Chess is a lot more about taking/exchanging pieces and gaining a material advantage, anyway.

But hey, I did watch a one-hour Go video today. Totally worth looking into.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-9EIVo761H4]Let's Learn Go!! (Japanese Rule) - YouTube[/ame]
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Shut Up & Sit Down Episode one.
            Shut Up & Sit Down Episode two.
            Shut Up & Sit Down Episode three.
            The rest of the shows on Vimeo.
            Official site (doesn't have the original seasons tho')

You can't tell I'm a fan, huh?

Love board & card games.

Mostly play:
            Talisman
            DungeonQuest
            Space Hulk
            Galaxy Trucker
            Chainsaw warrior
            Death Angel
            Munchkin
            Scrabble
            Loads of the classics like Labyrinth, Quest, Cluedo etc

I would like to get hold of:
            Descent.
            Relic
            Dreadfleet
            Settlers of Catan
            Carcassonne
            Doom3,Warcraft & anything by Fantasy Flight Games.

If they have a digital version, I probably have it (not got Space Hulk Ascension yet...)

I get games from here.
            I read reviews here.

Best regards,

Adam.
            Last edited by Adam; 11-30-2014, 05:19 PM.
            Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
            https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Originally posted by Adam View Post
              I would like to get hold of:
              Descent.
              Relic
              Dreadfleet
              Settlers of Catan
              Carcassonne
              Doom3,Warcraft & anything by Fantasy Flight Games.
              Descent is fun!

Also Carcassonne, but all of the various expansions can get confusing when you're playing with multiple expansions at once. Hard to keep track of all the various rules with each expansion. We usually play with multiple expansions, but only play the rules of a few of them - not all of 'em.

Comment

@Solecord
                It's so well known, I feel bad for not owning Descent already!

I have played quite a bit of Carcassonne on xlive (I don't own the two expansions).

How could I forget this awesomeness :

On xlive too:
                Username : Atomic Robokid on Steam

Please check out my Quake made things:

https://www.indiedb.com/games/run-over
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/hazard
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/diver
                https://adam-freeman.itch.io/beyond

Comment

Carcassonne is pretty cool.

Pioneers is a nice software version of Settlers of Catan.
                  Scout's Journey
                  Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

ooooh, settlers of catan is fun.... havent played it in years though
                    used to play it a lot during teenage years, one of my fave board-games ever <3

mebbe i should get a copy of it to play with family some time

chess i also always loved, although i sadly dun have a chess-set.
                    been thinking about getting a set so i can perhaps teach my nephew to play when he's a bit older.

the kid seems to love board-games, his fave game being draughts which he loves to play with my sister
                    Last edited by talisa; 12-01-2014, 06:11 AM.
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

My girlfriend and I play a lot of coop board games because otherwise, well, let's just say we have some blacklisted games.

We play games like Castle Panic, Pandemic, Forbidden Island and Forbidden Desert. I'm sure there are more but I can't think of them at the moment.

We do play some competitive cards games, but they're just the entry level Gamewright simple ones that are quick in case we just want to play a few rounds of something. I don't think anyone here would be interested in Zues on the Loose.

Comment

I enjoy "Family" boardgames... one of my all time favorites is Stratego..

Bloo Rules.
                        Last edited by MasterSplinter; 12-03-2014, 06:59 PM.

Comment

Monopoly rocks, but just takes forever.
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I enjoy and own quite a few board/card games. Though most of the ones I own are solitaire/coop ones since most of my friends are not also into board games.

Even designed a few myself. Even one inspired by Quake.

I particularly like games by Victory Point Games. Lots of really good games from a small USA publisher for usually about half the cost of games from Fantasy Flight.

I also love more traditional games like Chess and am a rather avid fan of Poker.

Some of my favorites in general are:

Chainsaw warrior
                            Barbarian Prince
                            Darkest Night
                            (original) DungeonQuest
                            Gears of War the board game
                            Yggdrasil
                            Various games in the States of Siege series by Victory Point Games
                            Elder Sign
                            Space Hulk Death Angel
                            Ascension
                            Friday
                            Space Infantry
                            Field Commander Napoleon

To name a few

Comment

Now that I've played many contemporary board games, I think of Monopoly and Risk as ancient and Settlers as old. Settlers still makes a good "gateway" game, as does plain Carcassonne.

7 Wonders: I would recommend to anyone- even enthusiasts. It has a simple card-drafting design while giving many choices and strategies.

Pandemic: A cooperative board game where players try to eradicate four communicable diseases- but they just keep coming! It has a very easily adjusted difficulty, so it's playable with any group.

Battlestar Galactica: What I thought would be an awful money-grab turned out to be pretty good. This is another coop game, but it's not easy. Players have to come together to fend of disaster after disaster, losing fuel, food, people, and even morale, with the victory destination inching closer. To make matters worse, one or two players are actually traitorous alien spies, secretly working against the humans. (A simpler version of this game would be Shadows over Camelot.)

Agricola: Competitive medieval farming? This game is when you want to take it up a notch into the euro-type design of a game. The goal is to eke out every point from each of your moves, but such juicy moves will be highly contested and be made unavailable. That's right- if your neighbor has a child this round, you cannot procreate. Unfortunately, I do recommend gameplay videos, since it has a lot going on.

Comment

Working...
                              X