Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Will there ever be an update to Darkplaces?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there ever be an update to Darkplaces?

Darkplaces is a really phenomenal engine/source port, but it still lacks the stability and vanilla compatibility that Quakespasm offers. It's excellent as it stands now, but I feel like there's still a lot of room for improvement. Do any of you have any inside info if there will ever be a new release?

nowadays Lordhavoc is working in darkplaces

git.xonotic.org Git - xonotic/darkplaces.git/summary
    the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

That's great news. I'm hoping all the bugs in the official mission packs will be fixed.

Comment

Originally posted by Ajora View Post
        Darkplaces is a really phenomenal engine/source port, but it still lacks the stability and vanilla compatibility that Quakespasm offers. It's excellent as it stands now, but I feel like there's still a lot of room for improvement. Do any of you have any inside info if there will ever be a new release?
        stability ?
        There are not many engines as stable as Darkplaces.

compatibility ?
        You do not seem to know Darkplaces _gameplayfix_ cvars.

a new release ?
        There are new releases almost on a daily bases since several months already.

Originally posted by Ajora View Post
        That's great news. I'm hoping all the bugs in the official mission packs will be fixed.
        All the bugs are fixed by using the SMC.
        Just saying... but who cares.

Comment

For some reason, I get crashes when I try to view certain demos via Darkplaces. However, implying that the source port is unstable may have been grossly inaccurate on my part.

Didn't know about said cvars until now, but I did some searching around for them. I'm assuming that putting an autoexec.cfg file with:

"cl_itembobheight" "0"
          sv_gameplayfix_upwardvelocityclearsongroundflag "1"
          sv_gameplayfix_setmodelrealbox "1"
          sv_gameplayfix_droptofloorstartsolid "1"
          set darkplaces_build 1
          set player_reflection_fix 1

in my id1 folder should remove all incompatibility issues and bugs, even if I'm running maps from a different directory.
          Last edited by Ajora; 09-17-2016, 07:40 AM.

Comment

Hello Ajora,

It depends on the mod which _gameplayfix_ cvars to enable.
            But you are correct, that some cvars should be enabled for most mods.

Some _gameplayfix_ cvars prevent/fix the main issue for "falling items out of maps".
            That is due to the bbox collision detection which is slightly different in DP.

The cvars you mentioned: darkplaces_build and player_reflection_fix are mod cvars not engine cvars. So it makes not much sense to put them in id1 autoexec.cfg. Anyhow, you seem to use an outdated SMC build.

Best Regards,
            Seven

Comment

did you clean all darkplaces configuration in windows?? (my games, etc...)
              the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
                Hello Ajora,

It depends on the mod which _gameplayfix_ cvars to enable.
                But you are correct, that some cvars should be enabled for most mods.

Some _gameplayfix_ cvars prevent/fix the main issue for "falling items out of maps".
                That is due to the bbox collision detection which is slightly different in DP.

The cvars you mentioned: darkplaces_build and player_reflection_fix are mod cvars not engine cvars. So it makes not much sense to put them in id1 autoexec.cfg. Anyhow, you seem to use an outdated SMC build.

Best Regards,
                Seven
                At any rate, I tested my new settings with the Mission Packs, and everything seems to be working fine.

edit: Actually, the buzzsaws still aren't functioning properly in one of the mission packs.
                Last edited by Ajora; 09-19-2016, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Hello Ajora,

As I said, you seem to use an outdated SMC build (or playing without SMC at all).
                  Darkplaces buzzsaw-not-moving bug is fixed in SMC v5.0 for Rogue !

Please look at the below bugfix table (copied from opening post of SMC thread).
                  It shows what original Quake and Darkplaces specific bugs are fixed when using the SMC builds:

• Fixed Quake's original player pain sound bug in skill 3
                  • Fixed Monster-count bug for swimming monsters
                  • Fixed original ID1 fish model death animation bug
                  • (Super)-NailGun's nail position correction
                  • Fixed zombie and mummy flesh-projectile spawn-position for 2nd attack animation
                  • Fixed projectiles "interact/explode on sky" bug (aka "solid sky bug")
                  • Fixed tarbabies original Quake bug: They no longer get stuck on ledges and steps
                  • Option to disable the *bleeding* of shootable buttons and secret walls/doors/explo-boxes

Mission Pack 1:
                  • Fixed hipdemo1.dem missing music bug
                  • Fixed DP related bug that deals damage from rubbles even though they are lying on the floor

Mission pack 2:
                  • Fix for Darkplaces buzzsaw not moving bug
                  • Fix for Darkplaces Lavaman projectile "stuck in walls" bug
                  • Fix for Darkplaces Plasma Gun projectile not moving bug

Best Regards,
                  Seven

Comment

Fixed Monster-count bug for swimming monsters
                    Would this fix be available as a standalone, by any chance? And also for other engines?
                    ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                    ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Hello bfg666,

More than 50% of the SMC features/fixes/extensions are coded so that they run on every engine.
                      The source code is always included, so everybody can look at it and rip out what he needs.
                      The other 50% (maybe less) use advanced engine extensions, which are only supported by DP & FTE.

Regarding the fish-count-bug that you mentioned:
                      Please go to this page to find a bug compilation (including fixes) of all known Quake glitches/issues/bugs.
                      The fish-count-bug in particular is explained here, including the code fix. It is the most simple fix in history...

If you are too lazy to edit the source by yourself, a kind soul did this for you. Download it here.

Best Regards.

Comment

If you are too lazy to edit the source by yourself, a kind soul did this for you.
                        Well I'm not lazy but the extent of my coding skills never got past a dozen instructions in Amstrad Basic...
                        Thanks, you're awesome!
                        ♪ I'm skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain, just skiiiiiiinnin' in the pain ♪
                        ♪ What a glorious feelin' I'm haaaaaaappy again ♪

Comment

Working...
                        X