No announcement yet.

Quakespasm Server not Sending Aliases?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quakespasm Server not Sending Aliases?

I thought it was odd, but I had my QC code send some aliases using stuffcmd. However, this doesn't seem to work when the server in question is Quakespasm, as Darkplaces will do it happily. It's probably because of how I placed it in clientconnect, because that always causes issues at some point.

There could be something else to this however, which is why I ask.
    Last edited by SpecialBomb; 05-26-2017, 09:48 PM. Reason: fukn grammer

clientconnect+putclientinserver is weird...
    specifically, the qc function is called, THEN the server blows away the reliables buffer that was to be sent to the client.
    any centerprints, stuffcmds, sprints, bprints, writebyte(MSG_ONE,...), etc will not be visible to the client in question.

this is why many mods had to set a short timer before they could use any centerprints for connecting clients.

on the plus side, this behaviour means that you don't see "YOURNAME joined the server" in single player.
    so vanillay servers like quakespasm or proquake drop all reliables straight after ClientConnect/PutClientInServer (which sucks for modders), DP drops no reliables here (resulting in unintended messages), while FTE compromises and drops only the bprints (imho the best of both worlds, stuffcmd/centerprint/sprint works properly while bprints remain invisible).

so yeah, that's the behavioral differences that you're seeing.
    Some Game Thing

Comment

Noice

So, just put it somewhere else?

Wouldn't be too bad just to throw it into putclientinserver maybe, since that seems to parse my MOTD just fine.

Comment

no, needs to be later than that.
        you should set up some timer so that it happens in the next PlayerPostThink.
        note that you'll need some sort of timer if you ever have 1000 aliases (like many qw mods do for map votes)
        Some Game Thing

Comment

Working...
        X