The invincible "newbie"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The invincible "newbie"

lets get it all out into the open. everyone, please bring in every sizable definition of the grossly overused expressions "newb", "newbie", "noob", "noobie", "nub", "nublet", and all the others.
    my definition falls into the original design and creation of this expression. "someone who is a raw beginner at something, whose inexperience is somewhat laughable."
    now...ive been playing since 1997. my skills are not much to talk about. i dont use any fancy quake engines other than winquakepro. i play Runequake a lot (mostly because there are people there), i dont have any long 110 page cfgs even though i am quite capable of making one as i know just about every quake and proquake console command available...i just dont want to cause im really effin lazy, and i really dont like playing any mods that arent public server mods. a little 3wave every now and then...when there are 3wave games to be played, but MOSTLY public server stuff.
    now, most of you would call me a newb for some of that, despite my years of experience. so, i wanna know. what makes a person call someone a newb? is it just because you dont like someone and are not clever enough to come up with some better insults?
    Last edited by Shadowswift; 09-15-2006, 10:23 AM.

You are probably hearing that from the kids more then anyone else? I can't imagine anyone over 25 even bothering with that word.. Soooo. That leaves me out!!! And most of who I normally play. ;Þ Most of that you need to just ignore. Look at who spit it out and decide if that person is even worth the bother.
    www.Net-Tyme.com
    Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
    Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

It doesn't matter how much experience you have in whatever field. What most people do is easily call someone a newb for a few reasons.

1) Just to be mean. These pathetic little snot-nosed people simply get off by saying that irregardless what the issue is.

2) One wrong thing. Ask an honest question or do something wrong in-game. They automatically think you're a newblet and state so.

3) Don't do things the way they want it done... Oh, here comes the "noob" term again.

What these people fail to realize is that they too were once new at on time or another. I label these people, "pathetic losers". What they need is a girlfriend that doesn't end in "jpg".

I will find you... it's only a matter of time.

Comment

lack of creativity on the part of the "namecallers" is what I've found to be the normal reason.

i also feel that people calling others cheaters, at the drop of a hat, rather newbyish. no matter how long they've played or how much experience they have.

Comment

Originally posted by Net-Tyme View Post
          I can't imagine anyone over 25 even bothering with that word..
          I am 25 now so I guess it's ok for me to still call people noobs?

Originally posted by L3ftisM View Post
          lack of creativity on the part of the "namecallers" is what I've found to be the normal reason
          That would fit me. I have no creativity when it comes to writings/words. I'll stick with the newblet or noob or newbie!!!

Comment

People use "newbie" or "newblet" because it is a funny insult.

I only it use it when someone has an indefensively dumb point of view on something that comes from complete and total ignorance.

Also fun to do with someone whose trash talk exceeds their level of skill.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Newbie - Someone who's new to a game. Example: everyone in MGO is a newb because the game isn't even a year old.

Reason in calling someone a Newb:
              - *points at Grim's post*
              - lack of knowledge
              - can't rocketjump without using an alias/bind

Comment

The usage can be a double sword actually. Newb,Noobie, and all other infractions of this word that have been created lately can be a jab at humor or a sarcastic "your beneath" me accusation to omfg I can't believe you play that way.... I don't hear Baker say this much but when he has it's always been to someone he banters with anyway. "Most not all" of the kids say this alot. To just about everything..... so in a sense it has turned into one of their slang words. Grim is right.. This is a very over used word right up there with bot, bottage, camper, hack etc. But this word is better then some of your other choice words!!!!

Oh and Sole.. your 25? Post that damn pic!!
                www.Net-Tyme.com
                Lifes a game.. It's time to Play!
                Quake.net-tyme.com Pick your Poison.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                  What they need is a girlfriend that doesn't end in "jpg".
                  lmfao Good one grim heh heh

Comment

My experience with gaming leads me to the following conclusion.

The person who isn't good at the game isn't the noob (I would know, my quake 1 skills leave a lot to be desired). The REAL noob is the person that calls the new player a noob. I bet that alot of you already know that, but I always like to have my opinion known (I'm just like that). Also, a whole lot of people think that someone who gets more deaths than kills is a noob, and I'm hoping that someone who is trying to sound very knowledgeable will knock some sense into them :d

Comment

newbs are new, n00bs are an0ying.
                      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

i say from here on out we switch the name to Goobs

Comment

Sp0iled calls me a Goob :'(

Comment

newbs are vital to the community. being called a newb is also vital to the community
                            Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Heh, sometimes people call me a newb even after I've been kicking thier ass
                              e|------------------------0---------------
                              B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                              G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                              D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                              A|---------------0------------------------
                              E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Working...
                              X