Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Selling Map/Texture/Engine packs on CD at cafepress.com?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling Map/Texture/Engine packs on CD at cafepress.com?

I was thinking, It might be kinda cool to create a community map/model/mod/texture pack to "Sell" on Cafepress.com..

..HOWEVER.. (and this is why i put sell in quotations)

I am aware that all these things are all the property of the fine artists and developers so making an actual profit off it would be strictly out of the question. Instead just sell them at their base-value (meaning, what Cafepress charges to produce the cd, without any markup)

I'm sure there's a lot of issues with doing this. The only realistic option I could see for something like this happeneing is to get the blessing of each creator before placing their creations on this CD.

I dont see the point in this as I dont see the new textures being large enough that most people couldnt afford the bandwidth to download them, and if they were so large, I wouldnt see it being cost effective to physically manufacture them as it would take more than one cd.

That and I rarely like texture replacements. Kedhrin is about the only person whos textures I like, and hes a pro...
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by scar3crow
      I dont see the point in this as I dont see the new textures being large enough that most people couldnt afford the bandwidth to download them, and if they were so large

This doesn't have to be the case.

Windows XP, 2000, 98, 95 EZ Installer (5.5 MB)

These textures are the same as the Quake Retexturing Project textures by instead of being a 196 MB download, it is 5.5 MB and looks almost identical.

Palette shifting other graphics file size manipulation tricks were employed. All textures in the 5.5 MB are double the resolution of the ID Software originals.

Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Geez, I don't see any difference at all. If theres no difference, why is it so much bigger than the 6 mb one?

Comment

Because the small one is missing normal maps, gloss maps, glow, etc...

similarily, i've done Tiny Nexuiz once and it shrunk nexuiz from 180mb to 50mb.

Comment

Originally posted by CheapAlert
            Because the small one is missing normal maps, gloss maps, glow, etc...

similarily, i've done Tiny Nexuiz once and it shrunk nexuiz from 180mb to 50mb.
            Not true. It contains 100% of all the 530 +/- Quake Retexturing Project textures, including the luma channels. That doesn't have any gloss maps.

You can notice a slight different in Quake doing 9x magnification, by using FOV 10 (which zooms in) at 1280x960 screen resolution.

I have a lot of experience with compression and graphics formats and after messing around and doing a lot of experiments and tests, managed to make it happen. Yellow and I had discussed some theoretical ideas, and they worked.

I've also managed to compress Woods CTF Texture pack to 6.2 MB from 130 MB using mild adjustments to the graphics. Download includes ALL of Woods lits, lumas and even flag models textures and player skins.

Download: Woods CTF Texture Pack v0.9 - EZ Installer (6.4 MB)

Download: Woods CTF Texture Pack v0.9 - 7-Zip Format (6.2 MB)
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

AHH f*** this, its all too tempting! I'm downloading QRack and all the nice yummy textures again!!

Comment

Qrack Pak 20.3Mb Additional models, textures etc to make your quake look its best!
                Unzip this to the /qrack folder

RARRGHGHH which texture pack should I download?? This one (on quakeone.com/qrack), or the one that Baker just said?? Which pack(s) will make it look best?

Comment

Whatever you do, don't use old yellers

I can give you my joequake texture setup if you like. Should be the same setup for Qrack.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster
                    Qrack Pak 20.3Mb Additional models, textures etc to make your quake look its best!
                    Unzip this to the /qrack folder

RARRGHGHH which texture pack should I download?? This one (on quakeone.com/qrack), or the one that Baker just said?? Which pack(s) will make it look best?
                    Monster, read this guide for an explaination of what's in that "qrack pak". New textures are only part of it. I'm planning on making a similar pak file with 100% retex project textures. Someone could do it themselves with the 2x texture set baker posted about and PakScape.
                    uakene.com

Comment

WOW Thanks a lot!! I never thought that Quake could look like DOOM 3!!! The monster models, lighting, everything looks great!!

Comment

If you really want to burn a hole in your computer, try out tenebrae.

The custom monster models (that only work with tenebrae) are pretty baddass too.

I recall Lightning Hunter taking one of OgrO's tenebrae monster skins and used the magic of photoshop to make it useable for JoeQuake (which possibly means Qrack as well).

my 2 cents on graphics.

Comment

YEAH TENEBRAE IS FUCKING BEASTLY!!! It looks BETTER than DOOM 3!! I'll have to try it again sometime...

Comment

Tenebrae is an insult to Quake due to all the compatability it breaks, ontop of being ridiculously slow. DarkPlaces handles real time lighting much better, and actually does things more technically correct on top of faster framerates. It also has rtlights files which is basically an ENT file specifically for light entities that DP only reads whenever you enable real time lighting. These make more careful and conservative use of light entities so as to keep the level well lit and looking nice, but running faster. Every single id map already has rtlights files courtesy of KGB|romi. They can be found here http://www.kgbsyndicate.com/romi/
                            That and the whole game world doesnt default to looking like its covered in seran wrap... DarkPlaces defaults to lightmaps for those who prefer that, the console command to switch between the two is r_shadow_realtime_world 1 which enables rtlights and 0 which disables. You can also turn it on in the Options menu, or set it to only do real time lighting with dynamic light entities such as rockets (so you still get that cool effect when you fire a rocket through some grating, without as much of a framerate cost), or you can in fact have it render lightmaps at a transparency over the realtime lights... from 0% which is just the realtime lights, to 100% which is both completely on. In this section you will also find options for enabling bloom. I have bloom on, but at a subtle tasteful amount so it creates a bit of a grand look around explosions or glowing substances, things close to light sources, but doesnt muddle light textures.

Nevermind that DarkPlaces now even has relief mapping, which is something Doom3 and whatnot cant do as far as I know (it already has normal mapping and whatnot). For an example of reliefmapping at work in Quake check out http://peeves.noobgrinder.com/quakes...EFVSNORMAL.jpg and also take a look at the in progress retexture project specifically for DP by Kedhrin, one of the designers of AutoAssault on his blog at http://blog.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu...6-f52a77e2d5cf

You may think Tenebrae looks great, but DarkPlaces is actually on par with Doom3.
                            Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

holyfukin god im downloadin darkplaces now holygod that is fuckingaweomse omfg.

Comment

Working...
                              X