Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi All. I'm new here, and I need Your help...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi All. I'm new here, and I need Your help...

I want make internet server to play with my friends, and have old notebook (PII-300 RAM-196 Mb and Win2000 Server running) for it.

I have quake and winquake installed (what else i need download?).
    i was try the next command line
    c:/quake/winquake.exe -dedicated 6 +map dm6
    but when i connect to it from my computer (celeronD LGA775) picture freezes every 5 seconds for about 1/4 sec.

hardware on server or settings?

what else i need for play with friends?

Sorry for my bad english.
    Last edited by pbt39; 04-01-2007, 05:20 PM.

add more memory, like -winmem 64 , mem 64
    Yet I still beat you more easily than a hammer can beat a fresh batch of Rowntree's fruit jelly.
    The 300pingGOD ( july '98 )

Comment

Are you connecting to the server through a LAN connection or through the BBI (Internet)? Quake was implemented to be played for LAN games and winquake has problems when hosting behind a router (unless you open every single freaking client port on it ). Answer my above question so I can narrow down the number of solutions for you

Comment

i was test it in my LAN.
        i'm connected to internet with ADSL router, but on this time i'm not use internet connection. it will next step.

-winmem 64 // no result
        but i see sometimes (maybe it was before too) blinking (so fast that hard to see what exactly) Lan cable.
        in my network there is only 3 computers. i was testing that with no lan activity except quake. no firewalls.
        cable between thouse 2 computers (cpu>2m>Switch>12m>Qsrv)
        switch 5 ports 10/100M
        UTP cat5 (maybe 5e)

Comment

Do you have DHCP running somewhere in this LAN? Is your DHCP server constantly changing ip addresses? That might be something to look into.

Comment

yes. that computer that acts like a Quake server....

it running 2000server with DHCP on interface 169.254.1.0 (for my pocketPC can connect to internet through WiFi)

also my router acts like dhcp on interface 192.168.1.0 (for my computers can connects to internet)

at the testing time dhcp don't give ip adreses. all computers have already been connected...
            Last edited by pbt39; 04-01-2007, 02:50 PM.

Comment

You mention that you're able to connect to it, it's just a lousy connection. Am I right? If so, what other traffic is going through your server? Might be slow due to the amount of traffic.

Other than that, I'm not sure how I can help you. Use a live linux distro and start a DHCP server there

Comment

i have 1 adsl modem/router that connected to hub
                and 2 computers connected to hub.

computers and router usin' 192.168.1.1-254
                computer that running Qserver have 2 networkadapters
                1 LAN 192.168.1.2
                2 WiFi 169.254.1.1
                on that computer installed win2000server
                with dhcp for 169.254.1.1-20

when i'm testing Quake there was no wifi activity and no LAN activity (except Quake)

Comment

Don't use hubs. If possible, use two crossover cables or use a switch/router.

Comment

sorry. "hub" i mean switch/hub

Comment

what happens if you use a crossover cable and connect to the server? Only you connect. Are there any problems then?

Comment

maybe settings of quake server?

Comment

Doesn't the IPX protocol play a major part in Quake LAN's?

I'm not a guru but I usually have to install the IPX protocol before I can successfully connect to another computer on my network in most older games
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I would suggest locating a server in the region (list) and playing on that server unless this is to setup a LAN.

Public servers have high capacity internet connections already setup. Also I would be concerned about trying to serve Quake over the internet with a hub or switch.
                            Last edited by Baker; 04-01-2007, 05:14 PM.
                            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

After discussing on ICQ, I have concluded that the problem resolves around the hardware. pbt39 has a valid network structure.

It would be constructive to this thread to know what the minimum requirements are for a dedicated LAN quake server.

Comment

Working...
                              X