X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Kids]
    I know I can (I know I can)
    Be what I wanna be (be what I wanna be)
    If I work hard at it (If I work hard it)
    I'll be where I wanna be (I'll be where I wanna be)

Comment

Originally posted by Lerster View Post
      Quakes a living work of art.

That is why i still play it.

I don't know why, but i like quake 1's textures way more than any of the other quakes out there.

An it was the architexture and the textures in general that kept me with this game, as well as the various types of game play it supported.

Which to me, made this a truely unique game. Like that of "Crash n' Burn" for the Panasonic 3DO which not many will remember or even know of, but that game was unique with game play, as well as the fact the maps are trippy as hell, and the fact the manual for "Crash N' Burn" Specifically have a "Epilipsy" warning in it... made it even cooler tho when i first discovered that game i couldnt read too well.

Eitherway, i think quake 1 is just very unique and for some reason, it's the only PC game i actually play.
      Nearly every game for SNES or Sega I can recall had this warning in or near the copyright information in the back of its instruction manuals, or was located in the front in its own neat little section.

~On subject : I'm going to skip the riff-raff about how much I love Q1, because I've been around a long time and everyone knows I enjoy Q1....

If you want to advertise Q1 to a newer crowd who either have never heard of Q1 or have forgotten about it,and would like to reminiss a cult-classic game like Q1, you need to target the places where any advertising would be well-placed and directed at an "broad spectrum" of gamers, for example , someone could fork over the advertising costs for a spot on GameSpy3d , GameSpy ARCADE , All Seeing Eye , any of the www.planet****.gamespy.com , contact a gaming magazine that covers PC Gaming.

This would be the ideal stradegy for letting newbs or returning gamers know that hey, Quake1 is still alive and kicking,and not only that , but we have things to offer as well, that are found in todays FPS games.

All this would be futile though,unless the community feels its got enough to offer would-be Quake1 gamers.

Another idea, www.download.com , or other file-hosting sites that get a lot of mainstream traffic.

I hope these idea's help out Chad.
      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Because it's fun.

Comment

For me, it's tradition. I've played since around '97, so I want to continue my career as a Quake player. Like Phenom, I have moved to other FPS games - Halo, Gears of War, Prey, Quake 2, Quake 4, Ghost Recon, Starsiege Tribes....but I always come back to Quake 1. The "newer" games just aren't the same as this one. Sometimes I prefer Quake 1's simplicity over all the new features, graphics, tactics, and such of the new FPS games. Who needs to crouch when you can just strafe and blow someone up with a rocket launcher?
          Last edited by QuadRaptor; 05-19-2008, 08:21 AM.

Comment

Read my blog post about Why Quake 1 won't die. My rant on the FPS genre

Its pretty much my outlook on why Quake 1 players still play Quake and what I feel newer games are/have done wrong.

Leave a comment if you want!
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Yes, QR, part of the reason is that other games do not have the feel of the correctly achieved Quake physics. I felt this and I read later that Thresh felt the same way.

Coming from playing Quake, other games do not play as good. Quake simply got the right formula down.

Yes and add to that all the fun and everything.

Comment

I love the look and feel of it, the textures. No other game got the feel of the rocket launcher quite right for me, not to mention the ctf grappling hook which has never been equalled.

Comment

Working...
                X