NetQuake vs QW

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• NetQuake vs QW

When Quake first came out I played NetQuake CTF almost every day for years. I tried playing EZQuake QW recently and man do I suck. I never remembered people bunny hopping in QW back in the day and I also don't remember Quake being as fast as it is now.

How has Quake changed since it first came out and are there any regular NetQuake servers around now?

This is primarily a NetQuake site so all of the servers are NetQuake servers and most of the forum regulars here are NQ players. (QW players are at quakeworld.nu site)
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

That's good news to me, what's the most popular NQ client?

Comment

either proquake or qrack, or somthing

Comment

Well, if you like CTF, we have nightly CTF games at either CHICAGO.PULSEGATE.NET, or CTF.CLANHDZ.COM. Both, are port 26000 (default).

Though, not to piss off too many but just to let everyone know, I am converting both CRCTF and CAX to FTEQCC, which will allow me to host on an FTE server, which will allow BOTH netQuake and QuakeWorld clients to connect SIMULTANEOUSLY! Sure so, if you're like me and prefer the raw netQuake feel and ping sub 50 to all servers, you might not need server aided prediction etc. But if you ping more then u can also use your favorite QW client and be compensated. I should be done soon with the conversion, thereafter i plan on hosting a couple servers, thereafter a website portal, (since FTE can host Quake via the web like QuakeLive !!), i see a big future for our little fish bowl Whoops i just spilled the worms shh!

Btw start with ProQuake, it's mostly supported server features, are common among netQuake servers, and has a small footprint so you'll get optimal performance with less resources.
          Last edited by R00k; 04-21-2009, 10:50 PM.
          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Thanks guys, I got ProQuake running but can't see through the water Anyone know how I can fix that?

Comment

server needs to have vised maps, idk how proquake works because I only use Qrack.

try r_wateralpha "0.4"

PLAY QUAKE DODGEBALL!

http://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-dodgeball

Trickle's VWeps

Comment

Originally posted by audio View Post
                Thanks guys, I got ProQuake running but can't see through the water Anyone know how I can fix that?
                You can do it poorly by doing r_wateralpha 0.4; r_novis 1 in the console.

But you aren't going to see players in the water on the majority of maps (you can on a few custom maps, like in Rocket Arena) because NQ servers aren't running water-vised maps (so if a player is in the water and you aren't, the server isn't even going to send you the player data for the player to be rendered).

Furthermore, NQ mods like CAx and CTF usually force your transparent water off because it isn't fair to WinQuake-like clients (yeah, a few ppl use wqpro instead of glpro or Qrack).
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I tried that command and it works like you guys said. I don't understand why people switched from using it years ago to now saying it's an unfair advantage. I guess I'll have to take what I can get though...

Comment

Maybe all programmers can join in and work on ProQuake since I think it plays best to support both net/qw support. If qw offers benefits why not integrate them in? Quake is Quake and there should be no division.

We can have more choice of servers and can play over-seas and Quake Community can really be united this way.

I also heard some complaints that with qw you can move very fast, well those players earned that ability through skill and if they can then good for them - I know for me it challenges me to surpass them therefore I can do it too! It just gives more possibilities for skill expansion while playing Quake.

I may not know much about programming and such and differences between them two, however I know only thing - that I do not like to be restricted in any direction and I think that is how gaming grows with one game - that it gives you further possibilities to expand your maneuvers within it as you advance in skills.

This is our game and we can make it like we want it - not inventing stuff - but mixing in "best of" elements that creators of these games put in to create that perfect mix. They no longer supporting it but we can, so we can all stop this stupid division and just play Quake together anywhere in world regardless of client used and pings issues.

"True Quake Integration" is concept here.

That would be really cool if it can happen - just focus on one thing while gathering opinions from community - that way we have it all, while effectively using all of our resources (such as sparse available programmers here) to make it into achievable reality.

Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                      Well, if you like CTF, we have nightly CTF games at either CHICAGO.PULSEGATE.NET, or CTF.CLANHDZ.COM. Both, are port 26000 (default).

Though, not to piss off too many but just to let everyone know, I am converting both CRCTF and CAX to FTEQCC, which will allow me to host on an FTE server, which will allow BOTH netQuake and QuakeWorld clients to connect SIMULTANEOUSLY! Sure so, if you're like me and prefer the raw netQuake feel and ping sub 50 to all servers, you might not need server aided prediction etc. But if you ping more then u can also use your favorite QW client and be compensated. I should be done soon with the conversion, thereafter i plan on hosting a couple servers, thereafter a website portal, (since FTE can host Quake via the web like QuakeLive !!), i see a big future for our little fish bowl Whoops i just spilled the worms shh!

Btw start with ProQuake, it's mostly supported server features, are common among netQuake servers, and has a small footprint so you'll get optimal performance with less resources.
                      Nice Let me be the first to say... that's the SHIZNITZ, you never cease to amaze me SON
                      uakene.com

Comment

Originally posted by audio View Post
                        When Quake first came out I played NetQuake CTF almost every day for years. I tried playing EZQuake QW recently and man do I suck. I never remembered people bunny hopping in QW back in the day and I also don't remember Quake being as fast as it is now.

How has Quake changed since it first came out and are there any regular NetQuake servers around now?
                        audio,

I too played a crapload of NQ ctf back in the day (1996-199 and you are correct people didn't bunny hop at all back then. Bunny hopping didn't really start until the middle of 1998, and it was a lot more pronounced in Quakeworld than in NQ. You can sort of see the evolution of bunny hopping by looking at the old quake done quick videos/demos and comparing them to the newer quake done quick videos. The original quake done quick video had no bunny hopping whatsoever.

However, today, NQ has its fair share of bunny hopping; this has to do with server-client connections and since no one is HPB anymore, servers can be set to update the clients at a faster rate which allows players to bunny hop more proficiently.

Comment

The difference between QW bunny hopping and NQ bunny-skipping is in QW it's used to gain speed, in NQ its to reduce friction, as to sustain speed. I dont mind quakeworld physics, but since it was a side effect of the protocol, I dont think the maps handle the extra speed. Either way, Quake has come along way since 1996, but still is close to the original gameplay.
                          www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

with a low enough sys_ticrate you can gain speed in NQ as well.

Comment

Working...
                            X