Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• State of Quake

I think this has been long forthcoming.

This game has been considered dead, and I think some who hang onto it are either nostalgic, or simply have an emotional crutch/bond which is somehow healed by blowing up people to gibs.

We need a solution on how to attract more players and bring back some old ones; the latter seems like a better solution to me.

The first thing which has to be fixed internally is our attitudes toward each other. You still get way too much hate and trash talk between players, which is extremely pointless considering we're the last few left of a dying breed.

To a point, we still all enjoy this game as a hobby, which is why we still play.

Recent players such as Spoon or Exalt, have chosen to play newer games such as Left 4 Dead. To my belief, they would still continue playing if it wasn't for stagnant maps, and the unwillingness of us as a community to make a change.

Take DM for example, a game long built around strategic game play is now stripped down to one repetitive map which you can walk backward with your eyes closed.

A reason why many of us still enjoy CTF is due to its versatility, and playing multiple maps which create a competitive atmosphere.

In order for things to improve, if some of you still wish to see this game alive:

1. New Quake models
    2. A new ingame stat system (Bam's 3 man podium standings award) which auto loads for each player after each 1 game - 1 map is over in the cycle of map rotation
    3. An integrated stat system with Quakeone.com which shows which players are most successful (and better than Gamestatus, their stats are unreal, and include times when players are sitting off after death for example).
    4. A pre Quake load chat interface (lobby of some sort? can invite people directly into a game? mplayer style, would really help with pickup CTF games, as opposed to 'twittering' people).
    5. FORCED map change (minimum 5 maps)
    6. New maps (easier said than done, but there are some enthusiastic map makers around here)

You can add whatever you wish for this thread, I treat Quake as a hobby, but I still want to face some competition now and then. Quake has always been a good release for me, and it's not that I'm incapable of picking up new games, I just enjoy the gameplay.
    Last edited by Rampage; 05-07-2009, 03:20 PM.

Yes! Time for, State Of Quake Union Address!!

I will always be playing, even tho I always play side games - I always play Q1 more or less. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Paradise View Post
      Yes! Time for, State Of Quake Union Address!!

I will always be playing, even tho I always play side games - I always play Q1 more or less. =)
      That wasn't proactive at all

Comment

Originally posted by Rampage View Post
        I think this has been long forthcoming.

This game has been considered dead, and I think some who hang onto it are either nostalgic, or simply have an emotional crutch/bond which is somehow healed by blowing up people to gibs.

We need a solution on how to attract more players and bring back some old ones; the latter seems like a better solution to me.

The first thing which has to be fixed internally is our attitudes toward each other. You still get way too much hate and trash talk between players, which is extremely pointless considering we're the last few left of a dying breed.

To a point, we still all enjoy this game as a hobby, which is why we still play.

Recent players such as Spoon or Exalt, have chosen to play newer games such as Left 4 Dead. To my belief, they would still continue playing if it wasn't for stagnant maps, and the unwillingness of us as a community to make a change.

Take DM for example, a game long built around strategic game play is now stripped down down to one repetitive map which you can walk backward with your eyes closed.

A reason why many of us still enjoy CTF is due to its versatility, and playing multiple maps which create a competitive atmosphere.

In order for things to improve, if some of you still wish to see this game alive:

1. New Quake models
        2. A new ingame stat system (Bam's 3 man podium standings award) which auto loads for each player after each 1 game - 1 map is over in the cycle of map rotation
        3. An integrated stat system with Quakeone.com which shows which players are most successful (and better than Gamestatus, their stats are unreal, and include times when players are sitting off after death for example).
        4. A pre Quake load chat interface (lobby of some sort? can invite people directly into a game? mplayer style, would really help with pickup CTF games, as opposed to 'twittering' people).
        5. FORCED map change (minimum 5 maps)
        6. New maps (easier said than done, but there are some enthusiastic map makers around here)

You can add whatever you wish for this thread, I treat Quake as a hobby, but I still want to face some competition now and then. Quake has always been a good release for me, and it's not that I'm incapable of picking up new games, I just enjoy the gameplay.
        Everything you've mentioned is allready AT LEAST half ass implemented or stillonthe drawing board.

Dredd forces a large map rotation

Theres rumor of a new player model arising in the near future

Bam's top 3 player podium is definitely fresh on my mind

Your idea of mplayer style interface for chat is great! now we just need someone to spend enough time making it

Really, I'm betting theres TONS of people out trhere who love quake and have lots to contribute, however, none of these people are collaberating (some are however).

But What it feels like to me is Quake will remain "Source" or fall into a standard which everything has to be based off of, for instance, all servers playing the same map pack and same mods for compatibility.

Anyway, this topic has been beatn to death before so I figured I'd throw in my own 2 cents! yay!

P.S Someone proof read this for me.
        QuakeOne.com
        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          Everything you've mentioned is allready AT LEAST half ass implemented or stillonthe drawing board.

Dredd forces a large map rotation

Theres rumor of a new player model arising in the near future

Bam's top 3 player podium is definitely fresh on my mind

Your idea of mplayer style interface for chat is great! now we just need someone to spend enough time making it

Really, I'm betting theres TONS of people out trhere who love quake and have lots to contribute, however, none of these people are collaberating (some are however).

But What it feels like to me is Quake will remain "Source" or fall into a standard which everything has to be based off of, for instance, all servers playing the same map pack and same mods for compatibility.

Anyway, this topic has been beatn to death before so I figured I'd throw in my own 2 cents! yay!

P.S Someone proof read this for me.
          It's been beaten to death?

Every single thread made is some mod which no one plays, single player campaigns, or weird ass maps. None of which actually apply to solve any of the problems the game is facing.

Comment

It's been beaten to death?

Every single thread made is some mod which no one plays, single player campaigns, or weird ass maps. None of which actually apply to solve any of the problems the game is facing.
            I tend to look as the situation at hand from a Clan Arena POV, I feel there needs to be a coordinator or a project manager, or at least some kind of order to Quake's future. Someone who doesn't put their opinions, wants or needs first.

Maybe some kind of enhancement that intrigues the general mob? But thats just reiterating what you said in your first post("We need freshness")
            QuakeOne.com
            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
            Great Quake engine

Comment

To apply some of these ideas you would need:

Map Makers (mostly for Clan Arena, to come up with inventive, replay worthy maps).

Quake Coder - Programmer : Bam - Rook : in order to bring forth statistics from the games and have them show up as accumulated stats onto a new landing page here on Quakeone. Additionally, one of them would need to implement the podium standings feature, renewed quake models, and all the new stuff which we talked about previously in another thread.

In terms of an Mplayer lobby type thing.. I'm really not sure who would be capable of such, but it would definitely be a bundle of work for any taker..

Comment

For better or for worse, if I ever finish .. maybe in or not in conjunction with Rook .. a free standalone legal Quake multiplayer replacement, it would ...

1) require it's own client to alienate the rabble who cause problems and people who like boring shit
                2) Not include DM3 or DM6 specifically to make it NOT appeal to existing dead-enders/fun killers/too-leet-for-you players
                3) The lightning gun would be depowered and the shotgun replaced to make bots useless and also to focus the game on general skill, not mastery of the singular weapon called the lightning gun

The client would by default have some ideal settings that most of the DM/CA/CTF players agree are pretty much ideal, but would NOT have any lower or more optimal settings to make the game about gameplay, not fooking around with config.cfg or gl_thisthat and other funky settings.

It would also be user friendly and easy as hell to setup and would probably include all the things expected of any game, maybe including a built-in game chat system to arrange games.

It would be meant to appeal our existing player base to the extent they enjoy having fun and a little bit of diversity, and specifically built to cause the boring people -- who typically play 1 map -- to very much not like it.

Consequentially, it would be incredibly successful as well because we all know Quake is an incredibly great game.
                Last edited by Baker; 05-07-2009, 01:19 PM.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                  For better or for worse, if I ever finish .. maybe in or not in conjunction with Rook .. a free standalone legal Quake multiplayer replacement, it would ...

1) require it's own client to alienate the rabble who cause problems
                  2) Not include DM3 or DM6 specifically to make it NOT appeal to existing dead-enders/fun killers/too-leet-for-you players
                  3) The lightning gun would be depowered and the shotgun replaced to make bots useless and also to focus the game on general skill, not mastery of the singular weapon called the lightning gun
                  I disagree with the last one regarding the lightning gun.

The lightning gun is a skill weapon, it requires precision and hand eye coordination in order to lead and follow with another player.

I think those who say shaft is a ping weapon only are strongly mistaken, it's like saying Rail gives an advantage to superior players; no, superior players make the rail gun better.

Even between some of us 20 pingers, there are those who are still infinitely better at shaft than others.

Shaft is also an ending weapon, used in combination with an RL to finish off kills.

I think it's ok for DM3 to continue as long as it's in a proper FORCED map cycle, meaning players should have no choice but to play the next map (if voting is disabled).

Comment

1) require it's own client to alienate the rabble who cause problems and people who like boring shit

The client would by default have some ideal settings that most of the DM/CA/CTF players agree are pretty much ideal, but would NOT have any lower or more optimal settings to make the game about gameplay, not fooking around with config.cfg or gl_thisthat and other funky settings.

It would also be user friendly and easy as hell to setup and would probably include all the things expected of any game, maybe including a built-in game chat system to arrange games.

It would be meant to appeal our existing player base to the extent they enjoy having fun and a little bit of diversity, and specifically built to cause the boring people -- who typically play 1 map -- to very much not like it.
                    Part of the problem why I still use GLpro over Qrack is due to its simplicity. I also find that it is not well optimized toward increasing your FPs, and it gives me some FPs problems.

Also when I turn my head side to side it is much slower than on GLpro, it has a slight freeze as I turn my mouse, like a mouselock, which completely stops me from RJ'ing freely.

Is there any way we can get our own stat system set up as part of the website on the main page with leader boards etc? it would eliminate how bad Gamestatus truly is at discerning stats.

Comment

I disagree with the last one regarding the lightning gun.
                      There would be room for modified versions of the game on custom servers.

But classic Quake was all about the rocket launcher, no one could even use the LG effectively until we all had broadband and buttheads like you, I and everyone else started practicing airshafting people and other shiznit that makes the newbies cry.

Not that I am even close to your league in LG skill, but a n00b cries equally hard if facing someone like you or me with a LG because there are so many levels of LG proficiency --- something that none of the other weapons have.

I mean face it, the game of Quake has broad appeal but as pings have gone lower and lower the dominant weapon has shifted to the LG to an extreme.

Is there any way we can get our own stat system set up as part of the website on the main page with leader boards etc? it would eliminate how bad Gamestatus truly is at discerning stats.
                      For now, I don't have any time to play Quake or work on the site.

But eventually I will.

Sometime in the future I'll talk with Rook about stats. I love stats and think it is a rewarding part of playing Quake and having some better stats would make the game more fun for sure.
                      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

There would be room for modified versions of the game on custom servers.

But classic Quake was all about the rocket launcher, no one could even use the LG effectively until we all had broadband and buttheads like you, I and everyone else started practicing airshafting people and other shiznit that makes the newbies cry.

Not that I am even close to your league in LG skill, but a n00b cries equally hard if facing someone like you or me with a LG because there are so many levels of LG proficiency --- something that none of the other weapons have.

I mean face it, the game of Quake has broad appeal but as pings have gone lower and lower the dominant weapon has shifted to the LG to an extreme.

For now, I don't have any time to play Quake or work on the site.

But eventually I will.

Sometime in the future I'll talk with Rook about stats. I love stats and think it is a rewarding part of playing Quake and having some better stats would make the game more fun for sure.
                        Nowadays the majority of people have fairly equal pings, aside from those living on the west coast.

If the person is not good at shafting, practice it. I don't think a weapon should be removed because its too deadly a weapon.

The gun has already been nerfed in damage since Erols, now we have to get rid of it so the game becomes newbie friendly?

If you want to create an environment where people want to keep playing the game, eliminating guns isn't your solution.

One thing has always held true to Quake, the gameplay is not the problem.

Comment

One thing has always held true to Quake, the gameplay is not the problem.
                          I agree on this point.

There's just to much bullshit hoops to jump through just to have an enjoyable game, I know when I use to go to thefair, I would get on a fair ride, the ride would do its thing, I would exit the fair ride, the fair ride did its job.

Quake doesn't need changing, it needs a whole new attitude. Seeing DM3 all day on 1 maybe 2 servers tells me there's a bottleneck. The players don't control the server, the admins do. Unfortunatly the majority of people are followers or simply uneducated and fall inline with whatever everyone else is doing. very sad stuff here.

I don't play DM anymore because I basically know how the match will end. DM3, whoever gets RL,LG,(Quad,Pent) pretty much has a set game ifthey kno whow to play.

I don't think Quake is the problem, I think TheQuake community needs more options that get fair play instead of the bullshit of the past and it needs to be redily available to anyone who wants to play Quake 1 not so scatter brained and filled with bitches and assholes.

I really hope this thread doesn't turn into another flame war/pissing contest, I know theres people out there who don't care and thats your right but if you don't care then don't comment.
                          QuakeOne.com
                          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                          Great Quake engine

Comment

Well I think some valuable points have been made about additions to the game.

A new client as suggested by Baker can implement many of the ideas we have here.

We can call the new multiplayer Quake 'Classic Quake' or something along those lines..

I would be very excited about a chat interface/being able to invite people into games, and seeing our stats up here on Quake1 over a leader board. I also think it's vital that we add a demo section to the site as opposed to having to link challenge tv in here.

All these features would make Quake more competitive, and at least give people more incentive to play.

Comment

What I would want in order to start playing online:

Frags/scoreboard removed from game
                              A toolbox weapon system (rock paper scissors)
                              New game modes revolving around objectives (mapside), possibly coop focused

The latter would require a teaming up of mappers and modders, and probably a total remake of the game to a degree that no one is ready or willing to acknowledge the necessity of yet.

It's clear why more people play MMORPGs - focus on collaboration as a means to an end, communications/chatting, more depth (not just battle)...

I have a general problem with the lack of depth or variation in Quake. Competing for the highest amount of frags seems a little simplistic.

Gameplay is the problem.
                              Scout's Journey
                              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Working...
                              X