Next CA server location?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Next CA server location?

Same as Speaknow but with an effort at rotating some different custom maps into the lineup.

Heres some IP addresses for your traceroute. (windows: Click Start -> run -> type CMD, hit ok - > type in tracert ip.address.here.!)

Chicago: 208.100.38.223

New York: 208.122.58.15

Virginia: 75.102.47.30

Let me know what you think based on your results.

-Chase

need a west coast ca server!!!

Comment

Originally posted by badaim View Post
      need a west coast ca server!!!

Yea.. I know you guys are sort of screwed. Majority of people that play seem to be central and mostly eastern. The rage servers are probably going to be as close as a server comes to you. That's in Texas. I'm not sure why the hdz servers have been so choppy for everyone lately. I know I drop a lot of packets there but ping better than I do at speaknow.

It's possible to try a server in St. Louis. I'm guessing it would still be bad for westcoast players if they don't like the Texas ones. You're looking at Cali or Washington in that case. I'm thinking not many people would play on a CA server located in those places. d0t, tundra, you, vis, krix, etc.. Who knows. Seems like majority of people on speaknow ping in 20's.. Doubt they'll trade that to appease westcoasters.

Here's an IP to ping or traceroute test in St. Louis:

Might be possible to do Denver as well:
      Last edited by SUNSHINE; 06-15-2009, 08:35 AM.

Comment

I'd really like the virginia server, or new york server for that matter, but the virginia one would be a whole lot better since i live directly below the state.
        "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

Originally posted by rev View Post
          I'd really like the virginia server, or new york server for that matter, but the virginia one would be a whole lot better since i live directly below the state.
          Must be a tunnel that takes you below the state? That's neat.

Virginia was best for me!
          War is hell.

Patton

Comment

funny guy. laff.
            "When I was your age, we used to rocket jump all the way to school, up hill both ways - IN BOILING LAVA!"

Comment

For me i get:

Chicago: 208.100.38.223
              Nine hops average ping 24ms

New York: 208.122.58.15
              Fifteen hops, avg ping 56ms

Virginia: 75.102.47.30
              Twelve hops, avg ping 50ms

St. Louis: 65.175.92.126
              Twelve hops, avg ping 35ms

Denver 209.136.66.2
              Thirteen hops, avg ping 53ms
              www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

St.Louis is nice
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

St. Louis is better I think, less hops atleast
                  War is hell.

Patton

Comment

server location should be under my chair.

Texas.

This is a very hard decision as you want the server to appeal to everyone but it depends on where everyone is compared to the server's location that makes it so hard to please everyone.

I'd say, we already have a dedicated Chicago server, but keeping it central will help westerners out but you'd get less easterners who mainly play speaknow or fquick or some bs...

Personally, i'd say in order for a server to get any recognition at this point it would have to do something spectacular like dispense beer and give blowjobs in order to over throw the "record-skipping" tyranny of Speaknow. Thanks Dread
                    QuakeOne.com
                    Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                    Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                    Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

yes, thanks dread. (my gratitude contains 0% sarcasm)

Comment

Are those IP's going to comming online soon? or are they already up?. I tried connecting to them but got no response from server.

Comment

Are those IP's going to comming online soon? or are they already up?. I tried connecting to them but got no response from server.
                          Nah man. They're just ip's for places that provide gaming servers. You can use them to test. Some of them may deny ICMP requests, so best route is to just do a traceroute on them. As I said before, if you're using windows, just click on start button. Then go to RUN. Then type in CMD. Click ok or hit return. A black window that is the command prompt will pop up. Then type in: tracert ipaddress hit enter. (for example, type tracert 65.175.92.126 ) It'll show you how many hops it takes to get there and the avg pings. You'll gauge it based off the last one. it'll return the ping 3 times on each hop. like 40 ms 43 ms 42 ms.

Can do that for each of the IP addresses I listed by location. Then post on here which is best for you.. least amount of hops - lowest ms. Could also post which is second best, etc. Like r00k did. Gives me a better of idea of what would work out the best for everyone.
                          Last edited by SUNSHINE; 06-15-2009, 11:40 AM.

Comment

They shouldn't be Quake servers but possible ping for servers based on dedicated server hosting.

----End of quote---

I am very grateful for dreadful's huge contribution by opening Speaknow, and speak now IS the main CAx server, but Dreadful's decision to allow Speaknow to slump back into an era when CA+ was dominate instead of CAx which is dominate now and offers much more seems a bit of a let down for Speaknow's potential.

I know Dreadful is "playing" speaknowhow he feels "everyone" wants it, but unfortunately stagnant water only attracts pond scum(metaphor).

Dreadful! Please consider adding at least a map rotation with standard DM maps! I'd really enjoy at least seeing the map change from DM3 even once out of 5 games.

DM3 is only hurting CAx(Quake) at this point. You can try and argue this if you want, but from what I've seen when it comes to games that want to be "Quake", once they start playing only one map the over all playerbase diminishes almost un-noticeably, then people start crying "Quakes dead look, all they do is play DM3".

Quake is without a doubt old. That does not mean its dead, almost everyone who is reading this right now should know Quake only dies when you tell yourself its dead and choose to move on to something else.

Quake isn't dead, its just not finished yet. It can be a lot of things if you take the time to imagine the possibilities.

Of course there's people who only want to play the game and ignore Quake's ability, so its up to people who are willing and able to make the needed changes to show the gaming world that daddies back and he's not happy.

Just because YOU(in general) play the same map over and over and over and Quake is dead to you doesn't mean Quake's progression will stop because like stated earlier, there are people out there actually giving up time effort and money to push Quake forwards.

Because ID software abandoned Quake 1 doesn't mean we should. The people trying to make a change aren't doing it for money, they're doing it for the love of Quake 1 and its community.
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                            Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I'm east coast (CT) so NY is the best for me.

St Louis I figured would turn out better, but 17 hops - Yikes.

Chicago: 9 hops 30ms avg
                              NY: 10 hops 8ms avg
                              Virginia: 13 hops 15ms avg
                              St Louis: 17 hops 43ms avg
                              Denver: 12 hops 60ms avg

-Joe

Comment

Working...
                              X