Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets talk speed....

Hi ya!

Speed jumping, bunny hopping, strafe jumping. Call it what you want, but what it drills down to is speed.

I have the strafe jumping thing down, and can get up there past 320 ..but It seems that others go faster.

What things could I be missing (other then skill) that would help me get and maintain speed? Quakeworld/ezquake style.

I used to be a bunniehopping natural. Not sure how to explain it, usually involves a huge burst of speed (from rocket blast) and then you cancel friction via strafing in opposite directions.

when I try this now I can't do it. What's up??

Comment

set all of thse commands in autoexec.cfg:

sv_maxspeed 999
      cl_forwardspeed 999
      cl_movespeedkey 999
      cl_sidespeed 999
      cl_upspeed 999
      cl_backspeed 999

Comment

Monster should try that out in singleplayer.

Comment

Originally posted by Retroactive
          Speed jumping, bunny hopping, strafe jumping. Call it what you want, but what it drills down to is speed.

What things could I be missing (other then skill) that would help me get and maintain speed? Quakeworld/ezquake style.
          Those Quakeworld questions and plenty of other can be well handled by the Quakeworld communities such as http://www.besmella-quake.com/ and http://www.quakeworld.us

Or, you could use ProQuake or QRack and play NetQuake like the on servers listed here not need to know how to bunny jump because that's mostly a Quakeworld skill and just use the grapple unless you are playing CA :d :d

Most of us regular Quake players view bunny hopping as a bug in Quakeworld
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
            Those Quakeworld questions and plenty of other can be well handled by the Quakeworld communities such as http://www.besmella-quake.com/ and http://www.quakeworld.nu

Or, you could use ProQuake or QRack and play NetQuake like the on servers listed here not need to know how to bunny jump because that's mostly a Quakeworld skill and just use the grapple unless you are playing CA :d :d
            Play NQ CA and use RJ's to gain speed through the map ; )

Comment

Originally posted by EFESS
              Play NQ CA and use RJ's to gain speed through the map ; )

SOMEONE GIVE THIS MAN A COLD BEER AND SOME FUCKING FOOD OF HIS CHOICE!
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
                Most of us regular Quake players view bunny hopping as a bug in Quakeworld
                au contraire (is that how you spell it?) ;-)

Bunnyhopping is GOOD. Watch some speedruns man! Especially E4M3 ones!!! It's unbelievable how those guys zoom down corridors. It's even more unbelievable that they do it in NetQuake.

Bunnyhopping in our beloved NQ is more difficult than in QW, because you have to tap forward each time you jump or you come to a halt. It's pretty awkward. In QW, you only use the strafe keys and the mouse. Download fuhquake and try it.

In NQ, a restricted but easier form of bunnyhopping is to press forward all the time while jumping, additionally strafing and looking left and right (basically repeatedly strafe-jumping). It's much easier and I get about 420 regularly with this (at sub-optimal fps) - but this is not how it's supposed to be. You're supposed to NOT press forward while in the air. In QW, that's easy because you can accelerate only by strafing and looking in the same direction. In NQ, you HAVE to use the forward key or you stop. The trick is when to use it (I still haven't mastered it).

To actually get speed, you have several possibilities:

a) clean acceleration jump (where you look/strafe to one side very shortly before strafe-jumping to the other-often seen in demos). You should get over 400 with this jump.
                b) circle-strafe jump (circle strafe, then jump).
                c) reverse circle-strafe jump (turning/strafing into the jump)
                d) gaining speed by damage (grenade-jump off a monster, fiend jump, ogre grenade jump)
                e) horizontal (quad) rocket jump (shooting a rocket into a wall, jumping and turning 180 degrees, then maintaining this speed by bunnyhopping)

and probably much more.

High fps is a key factor in jumping (in all movement, actually). The more fps, the higher (and further) you jump, the more extreme your bunnyhopping, the easier (more effortless) your movement.

More speed in bunnyhopping is down to practice (assuming your technique is correct).

QW people and speedrunners can help you better here.
                Last edited by golden_boy; 04-18-2006, 06:38 PM.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Yeah, maybe I should have worded that more specifically ... I probably would have done something like this ...

many of the hardcore NQ multiplayer Quake players would say the emphasis on bunny hopping in QW is a bug
                  However, I would say that in some regards we (the NQ multiplayer-types) aren't really much more old skool, in the sense that in CA+ there is no self-damage, allowing rocket propelled acceleration and many of our servers are dominated by high-speed grappling hooks (which basically became the norm in 2003 when the free-hook Widomaker/TLTQ/Singed intertwined servers sucked dry many non-free-hook servers, forcing those servers to adapt to what players wanted to play.)
                  Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Sajt wins this thread.
                    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Originally posted by Sajt
                      Monster should try that out in singleplayer.

I did what monster said, and played single player.
                      HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

That was cool! Id be god if that worked on a public server.

Comment

Originally posted by Retroactive
                        I did what monster said, and played single player.
                        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH!!!

That was cool! Id be god if that worked on a public server.
                        Actually some us here .. Funkify, Lefty and most ppl that have ever played on their server ... have played with running speeds at least that fast.

It's different, that's for sure.

Comment

Gunter sometimes slows down the server speed in FvF and makes everything slooooooowwwwwwwwwwwww.

Comment

Working...
                          X