Quake's relatives: Quake engine games

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Quake's relatives: Quake engine games

To pay some homage to those fellers, let's compile a list of games based on Quake engines and just fondly remember them. Eligible are products like Sin, Half-Life or Hexen 2, but also TCs like Shrak and Malice.

Screenshots are nice of course, imageshack.us is a free image hoster.

Do tell what you like or dislike about the family members.

I'll start with Hexen 2 ...

My current hobby is playing this, since I got both Hexen2 and Portal of Praevus, the mission pack, to run under Linux. The port I use is called "Hammer of Thyrion" and is pretty sophisticated and very playable (on windows, too). Just like the custom Quake engines, Joequake and so on, it brings some new features that the original Hexen2 didn't have.

Anyway, Hexen2 is basically an FPHS (first-person hack and slash) game. You get to choose from several player classes, which mostly influences what weapons you can use. Each class has four typical weapons, whose effect can be changed by an artifact (effectively doubling your arsenal). After choosing your class, you are let loose in a medieval setting (mostly castles and the like) to pillage and slaughter. Very simple, very Quake-ish.

For example, the paladin (most basic fighter guy) has gauntlets, a sword, axe, and a magic staff. Like in Quake, you can see your weapon (viewmodel).

The world's construction is much reminescent of Quake; you get different monsters, of course, which are _expertly_ crafted and fun to fight; you get a great number of items, along with a (very basic) inventory, and those beautifully textured levels.

You have probably seen textures from Hexen 2 in Quake maps; they are often used by mappers because they're most beautiful and unique, with a medieval/fantasy flair.

In general though, if you know Quake, you will instantly feel at home in Hexen2. It's entirely possible to just run around and kill things (although that's a bit dangerous). You will need some items to proceed, and you will be told so.

And there is the problem. Hexen 2 is hub-based; if you have played any Quake 2, you know what I mean. You fight through one map and are told that you need "the bone dust of Loric" or something, and then you must visit the other maps in the hub to get them. Which means getting the bones, going to the Mill, learning that you need the Mill key, getting the Mill key, backtracing to the Mill, milling the bones (while killing enemies), and backtracing to the place where you can turn the bone dust into a potion. Now, it doesn't tell you what the potion is for. You learn that in the next hub, after you are told that you need the Castle key, for which you have to...

and so on.

It gets a little tedious. Actually, once you know where the key items are (there aren't many), and in what order to get them, and where to use them, THEN the game becomes fun again.

And it becomes even more fun once you get over the item-collecting and instead crank up the difficulty. This is where it gets addictive. The movement is like in Quake, and the new monsters do put up a good fight! Whacking them with the Vorpal Sword while dodging their arrows is terrific action. Crushing giant spiders is creepy and satisfying, and fighting teleporting wizards who fire glowing skulls at you is good stuff. You can also demolish the interior decoration, shatter windows etc (often happens in the heat of battle.) Just remember to use the save function.

And then there is Portal of Praevus, the mission pack that bumped Hexen 2 from "good" to "great". It's a must have, simply because the level design is 10 times better (and vanilla H2 isn't bad!) and the game really gets more mature in all aspects. It also has a new character class, the Demoness, and more monsters.

To give you a rough idea of Hexen 2's desirability, it's better than Malice, better than both Quake mission packs, and almost up there with Quake itself. That's how good it is.

Hexen 2 Demo:

http://www.ravensoft.com/hexen2.html

Portal of Praevus Demo:

http://www.ravensoft.com/portal.html

Hammer of Thyrion (modern engine for unix and windows):

http://uhexen2.sourceforge.net/

All of those sites have screenshots, and I'll make and post some myself, too.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

It's a pretty good game, though. Back when Quake 2 was the big game, we had this and it was like the best game graphicswise that we had seen.

Of course, I'm stuck on the last dimension with no idea where to go....

But yeah H2 is a lot like how the original Hexen played where every map was one giant puzzle. I never got to play the first game, Heretic, but I've always been curious as to how it was.

Comment

Heretic 2 I belive had Quake engine componants.
      "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
        Heretic 2 I belive had Quake engine componants.
        I believe it's based on Quake 2. Sadly, I haven't been able to try it yet.

There was a Heretic2 linux port by Loki Games, but they went belly-up. Tough luck I guess, until I can track down a copy.

Heretic2 has gotten much praise. Anyone up for a little personal review?
        Scout's Journey
        Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Heretic 2 is based on Q2, yep. So is Sin. And Soldier of Fortune, and Kingpin, and Anachronox, and Daikatana, etc. and basically any game that has 'swimmy' models due to low-res vertex coordinates

Hexen 2 was cool. I haven't played it in a long time, but back when I did, I required a walkthrough

Comment

I'll have to try some of these. I don't think I've played much/any of most of these referenced Quake-related games except Sin, which had the misfortune of coming around around the same time as Half-Life.

I got Daikatana for $5 or so in 2000 and somehow it didn't keep my interest. There were so many games based on Quake 2 weren't there? Wasn't the Alien vs. Predator series based on that engine also?

Sin was pretty cool, although I only played the demo.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
              and somehow it didn't keep my interest.
              Somehow.

(I love you Johnny Ro, but Daikatana was pitiful.)
              "It's called being awesome, maybe you should try it." -Bank

Comment

Originally posted by Bank
                Somehow.

(I love you Johnny Ro, but Daikatana was pitiful.)
                I remember! There was a "helper dude" in Daikatana and I think he kept getting lost or something. Irritating.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

AVP might have been based on that engine. It was pretty good graphics-wise.

Comment

AVP was not on the Quake or Quake II engine It's on its own engine. And I believe the sequel was on one of the LithTech engines.

Comment

Hexen2 was awesome.. very difficult though had a bunch of cool puzzles.. like having to find some bones and go to a windmill and crush them to make a potion.. maaan.. i should play it again

Kingpin was awesome too as it had RPG elements as well (weapon buying system, party, NPCs); the cool and original voice acting and soundtrack added to the getto atmosphere

Heretic2.. i played only the demo, but it was fun. i should get it these days

Sin was meh.. had nothing special in terms of gameplay/atmosphere/story, it was very overhyped at its time
                      one quake to rule them all.

Comment

Working...
                      X