SP: The Final Threat (apsp1)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SP: The Final Threat (apsp1)

A base map by Than with great architecture allowing for lots of vertical action.It makes good use of IK base textures, which create a unique, "dirty" feel to the map.
    The gameplay is a perfect balance between exploration (6 secrets) and combat, featuring the legendary Zerstorer Enforcer amongst the usual base enemies(and they are quite tricky here due to the layout).
    And if you think base maps are easy then some ambushes and the final battle might give you a nice surprise.

Download

Last edited by sielwolf; 07-10-2006, 06:58 PM.

Im not a fan of the mega-enforcer, its just "Oh. I cant hurt you right now? Oh okay. Strafe left. Strafe right. Fire again. Oh look youre dead." Not that the other monsters are that great, he just doesnt add anything for me.

The Final Threat is a good example of a base map being challenging due to its ambush style... if you just run out the front at the beginning you will take a lot of damage... I myself drop down the back and sneak up on them.

Of course later on, than gets a bit less conventional with his enemy selection =)
    Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

Yeah, the Mega Enforcers were perfected in Lunarsp1. But Damaul had to use what was available back in the day.

Wouldn't it be cool if someone updated the Zerstoerer devkit to use the Lunsp1-style mega enforcers. Another fault of the "old" Mega Enforcers were the sounds.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Mega enforcers were also bitching annoying with their shield crap....

Comment

Yeah, this is a damn good map. I'm not really a fan of the IK texes, I like speedbase better, but the architecture is the strong point here.

Any good base map has more than just grunts, dogs and enforcers. Ogres fit well in base maps, and if you look at could, sm82 and any number of smaller base maps (100brush maps, sm40 (I think), hrimfaxi's base maps) they mostly have at least scrags and a few fiends, and a shambler or two.

It's really just very good.

I didn't like mega enforcers for the longest time, and I still think they're a bit displaced here, but in Zer they just plain rock. They fit right in the gross atmosphere of that PC, and I also like their sounds, especially the dying sounds.

Favourite weapon against them: The crowd controller :-D that thing is hilarious. BLAM BLAM! *Uaaaargh, ahh, argh!...* Zer rocks.

If you're a fan of custom base monsters, check out Guncotton by Kona.

By the way, Doom mappers never had any problems with happily mixing "soldiers" and monsters.
          Scout's Journey
          Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Yeah, I agree. The Zerstoerer Mega Enforcers fit in well with Zerstoerer which has it's own kind of dismal environment. I thought those ones also worked well in OUM.

In the newer maps that had used them as is, I didn't feel they fit well and the newer version in Lunsp1 would have worked better.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker
              I thought those ones also worked well in OUM.

In the newer maps that had used them as is, I didn't feel they fit well and the newer version in Lunsp1 would have worked better.
              OUM is pretty good, I'll probably play that again sometime. ;-)

You're probably right about the rest. Lunsp1 is probably an underrated map, as well.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy
                I also like their sounds, especially the dying sounds.
                I agree their sounds are hilarious, they know when they have been owned!

Comment

Working...
                X