Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• QuakeOne.com: Five Years

QuakeOne.com turns 5 today.

Before QuakeOne.com there was no general interest forum site dedicated to Quake and ...

1) No place to ask questions (let alone get a right answer)
    2) No centralized place to work on or showcase general audience Quake projects
    3) No centralized place to discuss ideas to improve the game
    4) No where to find links to the various other Quake communities

... and most Quake development was done in isolated developer boards like the defunct QuakeSrc.org or IRC with little interaction with mainstream players of the game.

Somewhat surprisingly, or maybe it shouldn't have been surprising, QuakeOne.com is on track to get about 700,000 unique visitors this year now if you can trust the web stats provided by Alexa.org. Not bad for a 15-year-old game.

This site well overperforms on attracting traffic compared to most fan-maintained sites for other games, and it is because of the continual contributions by the community with so many different members creating content, running servers/tournaments or otherwise contributing to the community.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

5 years - holy wow.

As an engine guy with no interest whatsoever in the MP game I'm very much on the outside looking in here, but I have to say that QuakeOne has been extremely valuable to me in actually helping to focus my work on what players want.

So congrats and well done, and here's to the next 5.
    IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Happy 5TH

http://mysticcreations.yolasite.com/

Comment

Good job baker! I'vr brrn a member of many quake websites (singed, tltq, runequake.com) and none of them were ever updated as intensively and frequently as this site. Kudo's to you and your other other webadmins!

Comment

5 years! Look how far we've come!

Really though I think we need a more structured "How to guide" section!

oh ya and Arcade WTF!?
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
            5 years - holy wow.

As an engine guy with no interest whatsoever in the MP game I'm very much on the outside looking in here, but I have to say that QuakeOne has been extremely valuable to me in actually helping to focus my work on what players want.

So congrats and well done, and here's to the next 5.
            MH, your work among other things, allows me to work on engine code with confidence. Prior to the introduction of the high performance Direct3D 8.1 wrapper I was always in constant fear of OpenGL driver issues and the D3DQuake-oriented build of ProQuake was very flakey.

Maybe at some point when I am finished rewriting Engine X (in progress as you know and have provided points for), I'll be able to make a DX8 Qrack.

For a couple of years now, I've been happy to see the heart and soul of Q1 Engine section at QuakeSrc.org continue the legacy with a vengeance in the post-Quakesrc.org world.

[Yes, in this post I've almost entirely ignored your countless explorations at mhquake.blogspot.com or your tutorials at Inside3D.com or the Remake Quake engine work, but I've gotta keep the post length reasonable. ]
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              QuakeOne.com turns 5 today.

Before QuakeOne.com there was no general interest forum site dedicated to Quake and ...

1) No place to ask questions (let alone get a right answer)
              2) No centralized place to work on or showcase general audience Quake projects
              3) No centralized place to discuss ideas to improve the game
              4) No where to find links to the various other Quake communities
              5) No where to find the new active servers to play on.

This has been the best quake "netquake" site over the past 5 years too!
              I hope this site will be around for many more years.
              This would not happend without the admins and moderators doing such a good job @ this quakeone.com site.
              Dumbs up for u guys !!!

I'm glad that I joined this community about 5 years ago too.

Send from iPhone
              My servers for the gamers:
              bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
              port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
              Offline ATM
              fvf.servequake.com
              flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
              Offline ATM
              newdm.servequake.com
              port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Polarite View Post
                Dumbs up for u guys !!!

Send from iPhone
                Polarite ... that $2.99 iPhone translator app just ain't doing the job.

/joke ... yeah I know you don't use a translator app

Comment

Hahaha

Thumbs up !!!

Send from iPhone.
                  My servers for the gamers:
                  bigfoot.servequake.com / damage.servequake.com

port 26000 EuroQuake
                  port 26001 EuroQuake Coop

newyork.quakeone.com
                  Offline ATM
                  fvf.servequake.com
                  flanders.servegame.org / flanders.servequake.com
                  Offline ATM
                  newdm.servequake.com
                  port 26010

http://bigfoot.servequake.com (EuroQuake)
                  sigpic

Comment

Time flies when having quake!

Just wanted to add that quakeone.com has played a massive role in bridging the Europe to USA gap (for me at least) in terms of getting to know the fellow quake enthusiasts across the pond, effectively enlarging the quake scene by 200% (or more)

Gongratz quakeone.com!

Comment

Happy Birthday Quake One..
                      What Does Not Kill You, Makes You Stronger

Comment

Congrats, keep up the awesome work!

Comment

Here's a beer Quakeone.com...

no actually forget that, here, have one of these...
                          SURGEON GENERAL WARNING:
                          THE IMITATION OF ANY OR ALL MANEUVERS EXECUTED BY A BB2 H23A1 4WS PRELUDE IS HAZARDOUS TO YOUR CAR'S HEALTH. DRIVING A PRELUDE MAY CAUSE LOSS OF INTEREST IN OTHER CARS, WOMEN AND SPEED LIMITS. OTHER SYMPTOMS INCLUDE SLEEPLESS NIGHTS, COLD SWEATS AND OTHER SYMPTOMS RELATED TO ADDICTION. IF THE SYMPTOMS PERSIST,DRIVE!
                          sigpic

Comment

Happy Birthday Quakeone.com

Thanks Solecord.
                            Thanks Baker.
                            Thanks Rook.
                            Thank you to all other contributors to this site and anything quake 1 related.

-disco

Comment

Congrats Baker and the rest of the staff. Keep up the great work, love the site.
                              FPS Source Ports

Comment

Working...
                              X