Old Game, Old Fart, Need Computer Gurus

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Game, Old Fart, Need Computer Gurus

Good evening Quake family and Monte too!!!

Was playing ZED2 last week and when I exited with a damn full pack, I have been unable to get back into Quake.

It has taken me a week to remember my old password and the admins on this forum no longer manage the forums (They have a life). Heck, I even reached out to Slot, but he is with the dolphins on Hitchhikers Guide. But thankfully, the old mind got back into the forums.

I added my DX8PRO493 shortcut that disappeared. Even after a computer restore, it did not come back. Just poof into the universe.

I use (don't laugh) Windows 7 Premium.

When I click my short cut, it tells me to reinstall the program, which I thought meant Quake, which had absolutely no effect, so I assume it meant DX8PRO493. The error message I get is "You are missing LIBCURL.DLL, try reinstalling the program." I located that file on the internet but plugging it in various places makes no difference.

I have tried searching for a fresh download of the DX8 but cannot find it.

I have used my limited computer knowledge (Turn on the button) and am missing playing.

Can some magical person help me with my drama and end the Quakeless Trauma?

Thank you in advance and best to all of you.

Fire61 AKA Carson.

Hi Fire / HP2,

I hope all is well.
    In case it helps, on my Quake installation libcurl.dll (dated 29/02/2088 13:03) is in the root of the quake directory, so for example c:\quake\libcurl.dll .
    I don't normally use DX8PRO493 but I was just able to run it on Windows 7 although it did seem to regularly display an error message when I closed the program.

Have you tried running a basic session of Quake with other more up to date engines? MarkV and QuakeSpasm are pretty reliable in my experience and of course Proquake is still out there if not

If you need a copy of anything please let me know and I'll try and find a way of getting it to you if I can.

Kind regards

Monty
    Mr.Burns
    "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
    WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
    Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Thank you so much Monty. Been very sad missing my camping sessions with my brethren. Can you point me to a download of whatever Quake engine you use most? It would mean the world to me.

Cheers.

FireBunny

Comment

Since you are MultiPlay-ing I would suggest you try out Qrack, developed by Rook - it will make playing more smoother and faster online and help iron your ping out to consistency so you can frag better You should be able to run that on your Win 7 machine but idk. You can of course still try the previous 2 mentioned client options, but having tried them already, I do recommend Qrack more. But I'm not even sure that those (or even Qrack) would run on a Win 7 machine - so I guess you should try them out to see which would even work or run best. What I like about Qrack is that you can configure and turn off a lot of stuff, so you with an older machine you'd make your Online Quaking even faster I think Plus it's a very optimized client for online play to begin with (Rook's original promo words I believe hehe)

The link to that is Quakeone.com/Qrack

You need to unpack or put that Quake client in C:/Quake - for example
        Under /Quake directory goes folders [id1], and in this id1 folder you need to copy over the 2 main files used by Quake - PAK0 and PAK1
        Let me know if you need help with the bindings - runes, keys, etc..
        There is also some settings to ensure you are moving fast enough on the server, because all these clients could have 'walk-mode' enabled maybe by default and you need to run - i.e. the variable SV_MAXSPEED, so that should be set to 600 or something (320 is walking - default). And servers, well Shmack, has that setting set up higher I think

I suppose I can sit with you here till everything is solved I do remember long times ago way more knowledgeable people sat with me till my problems were solved too, so I owe it that much to them I think to pass it forward and help a Quaker out in need I mean even Baker helped me back then and even quite recently so.. well have a nice day over there

P.S. I do imagine changing Quake clients to be a confusing, daunting and even scary experience from what you're used to using for so long prior, so I gather you'd need all the assistance you can get .. hehe
        Last edited by Gem; 03-04-2024, 02:04 AM.
        The gemstone of gaming is Quake, so load it up and play some

Comment

Thank you so much for the info Gem. One time I had Diazoild and Ben Webber remote log into my computer to help overcome my ineptness in getting Quake to work. I have not upgraded from Windows 7 as I had a stable platform for Quake and did not want to lose the game. (Is there a newer version of Windows now? LMAO)

I really appreciate your info on Qrack. Unfortunately I am unable to locate wither on these forums or in the Google interweebs search any downloads to the software. The link you sent me is no longer functional, nor did any of my searching of the forums or going through the postings show me any downloads available.

I promise to buy you and even Sir Monty a beer from Prince Edward Island (My new home for 3 years) as a healthy bribe to overcome my disconnectivity and get back to the servers!!!

I can tinker and follow your directions to ensure the download goes into the correct folders.

I am hoping to be able to repair and resolve this so I can get my money's worth from buying the game in 1996.

Cheers!

FireBunny

Comment

lol thanks for your funny and entertaining post - may you be having lots of fun on your Prince Edward Island over there (and with your Quake too lol)
            Now back to business..

For Qrack try this link (click it)
            https://quakeone.com/qrack/dist/glQrack_6610.zip

Next you should go to your [DOWNLOADS] folder on your computer to locate the file. It is a zipped file. Let me know if you know how to unzip files

Now for the first lesson in computing, please don't just download from random links on the Internet - that is a sure-fire way to ruin your computer. Run your questions by me here (or others) if something is safe to download. You should also have an anti-virus installed on your computer. I think AVG Free Edition should serve well - which can catch and stop dangers in time from happening to your computer. Maybe I should give you the [official] link to that too. (Oh wait, nvmd, you would need a newer computer for that one to work lol). The Internet is full of dangers in the sense there are [sometimes] websites masquerading as official or other ones but are not really so. A computer savvy user must learn to differentiate between them so as to not mistakenly download viruses or other nasties that could make your computer not work at all.

Funnily enough, I would think a more modern computer would run better and be easier to use than an old one (and be safer too - as it can offer more default built-in protections, i.e. new version of Windows for ex.). I could help you set up Quake on that too, when the time comes. Maybe this thread could serve others as well in the future..

So lastly and most importantly, wait for step-by-step instructions and confirmations from you that everything works well so far - we don't want to make a bigger mess here or screw up more things in the process which would lead to more delays and time wasted fixing things

P.S. Coming to think of it, I don't think Mark IV, QuakeSpasm, Darkplaces or anything new like that would work on a old computer such as that on Win 7. Some new Quake clients are pretty graphic intensive (with textures) and not suitable for online play either. If Qrack doesn't work for you, I'll try to locate an older Quake client for you. I do remember that after the official and last GLPro 3.5, Baker came out with something like version 4.0, which may be suitable for your computer (since it's very old like it). I used that one long time ago and for long time. It was very stable and worked great, so that solution may ultimately work for you if you will continue to use that old computer you got for playing Quake. Because it's a lite and fast Quake client

Idk where that GLPRO 4.0 is, if Baker would pop in and provide it, it'd be great - since it's his stuff to begin with. I'll try to look for it from a safe download site. If not, you may be stuck with 3.5 (I'll need to locate that one too) - which its biggest annoyance, I remember, was the displacement of the crosshairs and shots fired. But I think there was a command to fix that discrepancy too

So to be honest, if you had a newer computer it would be better, easier and faster than having to now look up for old softwares on the Internet which are very hard to find now to match working for your old computer. We would just install a new Quake client and go. Well anyway..
            Last edited by Gem; 03-04-2024, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by HappyBunny_2 View Post
              Thank you so much Monty. Been very sad missing my camping sessions with my brethren. Can you point me to a download of whatever Quake engine you use most? It would mean the world to me.

Cheers.

FireBunny
              Hi Bunny,

For playing / watching on Shmack I use Proquake, but hopefully the following might help get you going:
              Proquake - https://quakeone.com/proquake/
              Mark V - https://quakeone.com/markv/
              QRack - https://quakeone.com/qrack/
              Darkplaces - https://icculus.org/twilight/darkpla...ly20140513.zip
              For playing the Arcane Dimensions mod I use QuakeSpasm Spiked but the engine download site seems to be down. It looks like there is one over on QuakeTastic here but please check that its virus free before trying it.

I hope this helps

Kind regards
              Monty
              Mr.Burns
              "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"

Comment

To be clear, I actually meant ProQuake (link is provided above), GLPro is a Glide graphics subset engine that comes with it (I think so, if I remember right). So GLPro comes bundled with ProQuake as a separate executable client program - GLPRO.EXE, aside from ProQuake.exe or WinQuake.exe (again if I remember right lol). I just used that one lots because the graphics are nicer and better (more blended in and not pixelated/ or made of little squares), so I remembered it better. So, sorry for the confusion, it's just been so long That one - ProQuake, should work on your old machine FireBunny

P.S. ProQuake uses software mode and GLPro uses hardware acceleration of your graphics card - that's the difference between them

Comment

OK, I was able with the downloads run Quake directly from my Quake folder, but not through a desktop shortcut. I get error messages when I do that. But, I am now able to run the DX8PRO493 again.

I have made adjustments so my mouse speed and the brightness is back where I had it. I could use the binds for the crosshairs, + Hook, rune use, rune drop, and any other botlike features.

Not as easy to connect as it was fromt he desktop, but it works and I am no longer Quake isolated. (LIke a Quake Covid lockdown!!!) Thank you for everything.

FireBunny

Comment

OK, I got +Hook, rune use and rune delete programmed. I just need the commands for the aim crosshair and rune look

Almost home!!! Thanks so much Gem and Monty!!!

Comment

Beers all around. Got everything back in line. Thank you so much alles!

Comment

Originally posted by HappyBunny_2 View Post
                        OK, I got +Hook, rune use and rune delete programmed. I just need the commands for the aim crosshair and rune look

Almost home!!! Thanks so much Gem and Monty!!!
                        hmmm, have you tried crosshair n where n is the number of the crosshair you want ?
                        I've not come across rune-look and couldn't find it mentioned in Slot's Playing Guide, I wonder if its like rune-tell?
                        command rune-tell, key C
                        This command tells you what rune you currently have. If your rune description is already on your screen (either from using rune-tell or just from picking up a rune), this command removes it. Jumping and firing will also remove the description from your screen.
                        Hope this helps
                        Monty
                        Last edited by Mr.Burns; 03-06-2024, 12:49 AM.
                        Mr.Burns

Comment

It is rune-tell
                          A helpful tip is to maybe bind rune commands to the mouse-wheel too, for faster in-game access and convenience, so as to not remove your fingers or attention too much off of the main movement or weapon keys

I should've remembered earlier that ProQuake does indeed contain all the necessary files to run Quake - and the DX version as well, but it's been so long since used it that I've forgotten (but remembered now lol). So for the record (someone correct me if I'm wrong about anything, because I'm going by memory here), the main program contains the following sub-programs that Quakers can run Quake according to their own liking, desiring a special video output, computer configurations or limitations. I think it is helpful to know the differences between them when choosing which one to run to play your game with and why, because each one offers a different functionality. So we have, and in no particular order of importance:

- WinQuake - an old program for Quake DOS users (now obsolete) to get to run Quake in a Windows environment. When I last tried it, it had slow rendering, looked pixelated and well mostly it was not worth playing with. (Yes well, it's obvious I didn't like it lol)
                          - ProQuake - the regular version of Quake, a hybrid of performance between DOS and Windows - runs well, but not great (from my experience). It still is stuck at 60FPS rendering and uses software-mode for graphics rendering
                          - GLPro - the exclusive Quake executable made especially to take advantage of graphics accelerated video-cards in computers. The earliest version of it was especially made to take advantage of the earliest graphics cards from mainly the 1997-1999 era, such as 3DFX, Verte (?), early nVidia, Voodoo, Rendition etc.. The Glide wrapper was written for these (shared characteristics of) cards and runs Quake in the nicest manner I think, meaning no pixilation, beautiful and colorful smooth graphics, fast rendering output, generally the best nice graphics and performance choice (by ProQuake) and takes advantage of on-board graphic memory. I used this one the most, and is probably the default used ones by potential modern users (2000s onwards and owners of video cards), because who likes to play Quake with square-y slow pixelated graphics at 60FPS? lol
                          - DX variant. This uses the DirectX and Direct3D software running mode which is a leg-up from the standard software mode but still not as good, good-looking or fast enough as the graphics-accelerated exclusive GLPro version. But maybe is a good trade-off choice for owners that desire better performance than the plain software mode. It's a decent alternative to Glide if you can't run that well or it's too slow for you

These modes were relevant for players probably between 1996-2005, or people stuck with old computers or still using them. Nowadays, it's not heard of to get a computer without some sort of graphic card in it which you can just get one of the more modern clients which jumps into using hardware acceleration to begin with and software mode is actually defunct now (or only used for variable testing). The old GLPro was also not maintained or upgraded [regularly or increasingly much] in performance to take advantage of newer or new developments in graphics cards. At best, it runs as it once was, using a good computer from back then (late 90's) and that's it. (I actually played with it extensively on a few computers I've owned over time to notice and determine this). Well maybe what I've said is interesting, technical or nostalgic to someone - or a landmark we have all passed in the world of [Quake] computing, old things and hardware configurations and choices we all had to make or dealt with on our old computers

I was actually surprised now that FireBunny figured out everything on his own after his pleading first post, I was ready to stand-by to help if necessary I know more about advanced Quake features and commands too so don't hesitate to ask. I don't mind sharing, I'd like everyone to have the best experience with, to play the best, get the most enjoyment of this rarely played game nowadays with fascinating nostalgic features

Lastly if I had made any mistakes anywhere in my statements about things here I apologize in advance, as I wrote it entirely from memory and I am starting as well on the road to becoming an old [Quake] fart.. haha

Good Day and cheers

Comment

Working...
                          X