improving quake 1?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• improving quake 1?

I just got a copy of quake episode 1 shareware. My computer is a Dell optiplex gx110 P3 733mhz with 512meg of RAM, radeon 7000 series and dual booted win98/win2k pro.

I installed quake in win98. But the graphics pretty fuzzy and dark. Please tell me how to improve it? Thanks.

QRACK

download the installer, this should make quake look pretty with out much effort.
    look at a qrack video made by yellow no. 5
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?...8&sa=N&tab=iv#
    Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 04-23-2009, 09:52 AM. Reason: reason for editing:
    Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

id stuff and quake sw?

Another problem. When I installed the shareware, I found 2 quakes ( idstuff and quake SW ). Should I try to install them in one directory? How are they related ? I suppose that SW stands for shareware. Is there any patch ?

Comment

just make sure u have
        /quake/id1/pak0.pak

your .exe should be in /quake/

i'm not sure what idstuff is except I thought it was tools (from their ftp?)...
        www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

When I installed quake, it produced 2 directories, IDStuff and quake_SW. IDStuff has Qstart.exe, quake_SW has quake.exe; both can start quake. IDStuff has IDstuff folder; quake_SW has ID1 folder.

I still have problem installing qrack 1.90. I opened qrack190.zip with 7Z and clicked on glqrack.exe, got an error " libcurl.dll not found". But this file sits right next to the glqrack.exe file.

Comment

Originally posted by lefty3 View Post
            When I installed quake, it produced 2 directories, IDStuff and quake_SW. IDStuff has Qstart.exe, quake_SW has quake.exe; both can start quake. IDStuff has IDstuff folder; quake_SW has ID1 folder.

I still have problem installing qrack 1.90. I opened qrack190.zip with 7Z and clicked on glqrack.exe, got an error " libcurl.dll not found". But this file sits right next to the glqrack.exe file.
            you can also try ProQuake. Sorry about quake_SW if it has the id1 directory. Put your glqrack.exe or glpro399.exe in that folder.
            PanterA-RuM - chase_active 1 - Panix!

Comment

quake 1 shareware ?

I had no idea what quake shareware means ( got it from Amazon.com ), until I begin to play the game. So now it asks for 45 bucks in order to download the full version. Is there any place where I can buy quake 1 full version directly?

Comment

Yes, Amazon.com: QUAKE: Windows: Video Games or items on eBay.com

The Ultimate Quake package is a great bargain if you might want to check out Quake 2 and 3 too.
                Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

re: quake 1 shareware

The Ultimate Quake package is a great bargain if you might want to check out Quake 2 and 3 too
                  Yes, that's what I did. So quake 1 from ID software is all shareware ?

Comment

Originally posted by lefty3 View Post
                    Yes, that's what I did. So quake 1 from ID software is all shareware ?
                    if you have the files pak0.pak and pak1.pak in your id1 directory, it's the full version. If you just have pak0.pak, you just have shareware version.

Pak0 has the base game and episode one.
                    pak1 has episodes 2-4 and the rest of the game.
                    PanterA-RuM - chase_active 1 - Panix!

Comment

It actually is not that easy to find a Quake shareware so you have been quite (un-)lucky. Unless it says "shareware" explicitly somewhere it should be the full game.
                      Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

re: quake 1 shareware

if you have the files pak0.pak and pak1.pak in your id1 directory, it's the full version. If you just have pak0.pak, you just have shareware version.
                        It is labeled "shareware" on the front. The seller might have mentioned "shareware" in his ad at amazon.com.

Thanks all the help, and special thanks to ROOK for his excellent programming effort with qrack 1.90. It enhances graphics, brightness and removes bugs. Before using qrack, I got some messes over the desktop, now they are gone.

Comment

check your pm's lefty
                          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Working...
                          X