Quake disk

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lennox, how's the iso goin' bud?

I agree with sangles, I'd prefer the one with the doom, heretic, wolfenstein, but both are cool.

Comment

any news?

Originally posted by lennox View Post
      I got it laying around the house somewhere let me look for it tomorrow after work and i'll make you an iso of it.
      lennox, Any luck finding it yet?

Originally posted by R00k View Post
      I have the SHAREWARE version on the ComputerPlayer CD, (October 1996 issue)
      Quake v1.01, it just installs the shareware version into c:/quake
      also on the disc:
      Time Commando
      Mechwarrior 2
      Marathon2
      R00k, can you make an iso and share that please?

Comment

Hahahaha! Live cd! Ive done this before! In the quake cd, there is a folder called "data" use that and that has every quake file!

Comment

May I also have an iso of Quake? I don't need the Heretic, doom and other demos that others want, I just need the normal Quake iso.

Thank you for reading this.

Comment

It is illegal to distribute ISO's of the original Quake CD. You can download the shareware version here:
            ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/

or information on buying quake is here:
            QuakeOne - Buy Quake 1

Comment

i have the original full version CD.

@MasterSplinter...

I run quake off a my USB HD. I installed it years ago on XP and moved the whole quake folder to the USB Drive. Since then i just keep a shortcut for the mod i want to play and then copy it to the desktop of whatever OS im using and it works. You should easily be able to copy the files to a smaller more portable flash drive and it should work in any PC you plug it into.

Comment

It's actually quite legal to distribute shareware Quake via ISO if you want.

Originally posted by Quake Shareware License
                6. Permitted Distribution. So long as this Agreement accompanies the Software at all times, ID grants to Providers the limited right to distribute, free of charge, except normal access fees, and by electronic means only, the Software; provided, however, the Software must be so electronically distributed only in a compressed format. The term "Providers," as used in the foregoing sentence, shall mean persons whose business it is to provide services on the Internet, on commercial online networks, or on the BBS. Anyone who receives the Software from a Provider shall be limited to all the terms and conditions of this Agreement. Further, ID grants to you, the end-user, the limited right to distribute, free of charge only, the Software as a whole.
                Note that the only restrictions are: (1) that you don't sell it, (2) the distribution must be electronic, and (3) the distribution format must be "compressed" (it doesn't even stipulate that it must be the original compression, just that it's "compressed").
                IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

compressed only huh....that's pretty weird. it's tough to think of any possible business interest that is served by that. perhaps to make distribution easier in the era of 14.4 baud

Comment

Originally posted by mhquake View Post
                    It's actually quite legal to distribute shareware Quake via ISO if you want.
                    You must not distribute "the" Quake shareware disc though. The Quake shareware software itself is ok. I recently asked Todd Holledshead about it because I was hoping for a loophole for freely distributing the soundtrack:

(...) The shareware versions of our games are freely distributable for non-commercial purposes. Of course, all of these games are freely available for download from our website as well as numerous mirrors.

(...)

You are not permitted to ISO/copy/distribute the old Quake shareware/digipack CDs or copy them onto CDs, etc. even to give away for free. The old CDs contain lots of copyrighted property from id and others that are not shareware and are not allowed to be redistributed without a separate license. The EULA as well as the license on packaging and manuals for the game make this clear and I won't modify that language here, and
                    don't intend to write anything or provide any instruction that is contrary to those licenses.
                    Cover discs from magazines or other random software compilations that contain the Quake shareware are most probably under some copyright. But many magazines went bankrupt and no one is gonna go after you if you share those. Some old german magazines have archives online that are tolerated or even supported by the original owners/successors. But then this is kinda pointless as the Quake shareware is ftp://ftp.idsoftware.com/idstuff/quake/quake106.zip
                    Quake 1 Singleplayer Maps and Mods

Comment

That makes sense and it's good to know. So in theory then, one could grab the Quake106 shareware from ID's site, repackage it in something that's most emphatically NOT the cruddy old DOS installer, include a fresh build of ID GLQuake and WinQuake with it, and stick it on QuakeTastic or similar.
                      IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Disco Rockstar View Post

@MasterSplinter...

I run quake off a my USB HD. I installed it years ago on XP and moved the whole quake folder to the USB Drive. Since then i just keep a shortcut for the mod i want to play and then copy it to the desktop of whatever OS im using and it works. You should easily be able to copy the files to a smaller more portable flash drive and it should work in any PC you plug it into.
                        Thanks Disco

I think your post reminded an admin to unban me. (I'm a bad boy). I was starting to feel like the villains in Superman II when they were trapped in a window:

But, yes, I've done that... and used Quake on a network share to get LAN games going in my school's computer lab.

What I was trying to articulate was: a bootable OS that had no overhead like Anti-Virus, unnecessary background processing, or any other applications other than Quake.

An operating system environment focused on maximizing the hardware performance on the PC without sharing the resources with any other application. This means more free RAM and less distraction from Quake's overall performance.

Comment

Working...
                        X