Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd play TicketPossession

Comment

I'm really liking the idea of a whole new mod using new weapons and custom maps, this would equal so much more potential then just throwing up another CA, CTF, RA server

But now that i've been informed my mod idea does kind of lean heavily towards TF just with new weapons and maps and a few new features
      QuakeOne.com
      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
      Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
      Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

whomever says "there can only be one" is lieing Go for it!

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
          I played Painkeep for a short while many years ago and it reminds me of RQ done right, where your "powerups" were weapons and not some magical rune that makes you enable to move,aim, be effective at all. Thats one of the reasons why I dispise RuneQuake, instant kill(deathspots) doesnt equal skill in my book
          A couple of years ago, Widomaker ran a modified version of RQ with no deathspots, no ice spots and no radiation.

Everyone loved it and no one got annoyed, which was why Widomaker was a massively busy server. Widomaker used port forwarding to forward extra players to TLTQ and which forwarded to Singed. Widomaker's overflow would sometimes hit 48 players, filling all 3 servers.
          I think map fatigue is a major problem. Almost as bad as map fatique are bad maps.

And new twists on existing game play ideas would be refreshing. I played some Nexuiz earlier to try that again and many of the maps were interesting and it reminded me of how good some of the Quake 3-esque Quake maps are. Not the clones, but the inspired maps.

efdm12 is an example of a map with great game play and the Quake 3 style design that isn't ruined by blandness:

http://www.quaddicted.com/dm/efdm12.bsp

Ironic that an idea for a mod could be drafted in a few minutes but it could take weeks to code and then debug?
          Last edited by Baker; 03-25-2007, 08:02 AM.
          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I played Painkeep for a short while many years ago and it reminds me of RQ done right, where your "powerups" were weapons and not some magical rune that makes you enable to move,aim, be effective at all. Thats one of the reasons why I dispise RuneQuake, instant kill(deathspots) doesnt equal skill in my book
            People used this argument over at TLTQ or Runecentral before... I don't buy it. How about looking at this from a different point of view - it takes even more skill to be able to play the mod without running into deathspots or ice traps. You have to really understand the map and know how to avoid the "common areas" where people generally place such traps. You have to know the map well enough to know where to place them. People who want to just run wile around a map and get frags are the ones who always step into the traps. You have to play RQ with more of a mentality than "I'm just running around getting frags."

Just my opinion.

Comment

Ok let me quote myself now
              I ment the people who abuse this and put deathspots on the other side of teleporters and lame stuff like that and not the people who die from deathspots but the people who use in in access
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Comment

Ok let me quote myself now

I ment the people who abuse this and put deathspots on the other side of teleporters and lame stuff like that and not the people who die from deathspots but the people who use in in access
                Devil's advocate (cuz I hate death spots and ice, I always freeze myself or run into my own and yours too!):

How is using a teleporter EVER not dangerous?

It's dangerous in CA, it's dangerous in 1 on 1 DM.

To me, "runes" serve these purposes:

1. To let players that suck have fun and get kills every once in a while. I started Quake playing Artifact-RJS in 1999; I had no Quake knowledge or anything and it was probably the only mod a new player like myself could enjoy (at that time).

2. The abundance of crappy runes result in a crocodile smile when a good player gets an offense rune (double damage, half damage, etc.)

3. Make things (armor, health, ammo) a little more abundant to reduce the running around and make Quake resemble it's ultimate assets = good fights where both players have RL and armor (this NEVER happens in DM).

4. The hook exists to speed up the game play. Lithium Hook > Free Hook because then the hook is special and players have to learn to RJ.
                Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I guess those are some good points there Baker, that almost makes me change my mind completly about Runes But I'd still like to see a whole new MOD arrise
                  QuakeOne.com
                  Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                  Great Quake engine

Comment

I suppose I should take this opportunit to explain my old 'power core DM' idea:
                    Take clan arena, and give the players only axe/shotgun/nailgun to start with, then put some 'power cores' in the map.

Each power core looks something like an item inside a glass cylinder, shooting them a few times cracks the glass and eventually shatters the thing, revealing the item, when a player picks up the item all members of their team get the item.

Power cores are randomly selected each round, and there is at most one of each item, so you never see a 'fair battle', rounds always turn into battles between different 'best weapons', like rocket launcher + megahealth vs lightning gun + yellow armor.

A few tweaks are needed like megahealth should not rot, and the shotguns might need a bit more damage and the nailguns instant hit, to make them more fair compared to the other weapons.

Comment

thats a great idea!

I could see that being fun in a few ways
                      QuakeOne.com
                      Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                      Great Quake engine

Comment

good ideas coming from this thread

Comment

Actually I think it might be better if there can be multiple of a power core, because it would mean there would be some rare battles that ARE fair, leading to even more variety

Additionally it might make sense to have some votable options to spawn certain power cores every round, in addition to a certain number of random ones.

Obviously power cores can include things that are not standard Quake items, for example the standard threewave capture the flag runes (strength, haste, protection, regeneration).

So it's sort of like CA + Artifact Quake.

Comment

That would be insane! lol
                            QuakeOne.com
                            Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                            Great Quake engine

Comment

wtf is this Painkeep shit, I must google for it now.
                              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

OMG. Your a noob if you dont know what Painkeep is

MindzX its basically one of the bigger mods for Quake ever made I think.. it just didn't pick up interest, I blame the maps it had
                                QuakeOne.com
                                Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                                Great Quake engine

Comment

Working...
                                X