Trouble with MP1 using DarkPlaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trouble with MP1 using DarkPlaces

Hi guys, I try to use DarkPlaces with mission pack 1 and even when demo is runnin fine, when I start game the quake guy falls forever in difficulty selection map (start).

What I'm doing wrong?
    Attached Files

Try adding this line to your autoexec:
    sv_entpatch "0"
    I had this problem for a while using effects like rain, fog on the Mission Pack start maps.

It would help if you told us more details about what you are running within hipnotic with regards to effects, etc???

Comment

Originally posted by gdiddy62 View Post
      Try adding this line to your autoexec:
      sv_entpatch "0"
      I had this problem for a while using effects like rain, fog on the Mission Pack start maps.

It would help if you told us more details about what you are running within hipnotic with regards to effects, etc???
      Thank you. That fix it.

Comment

In truth, DarkPlaces needs Quakespasm wrong-content protection.

Then no one will have this problem ever again with DarkPlaces. The mechanics are brilliant. If the Quake search path goes like this ---> quake/id1 quake/rogue ... any model found in rogue will stop at quake/rogue when looking for replacement textures of any kind, external data like .lit files or .vis or .ent files, etc.

So rogue's start.bsp wouldn't use a quake/id1/start.lit or .ent --- both of which would be invalid for that map.

[FitzQuake Mark V and Engine X both absorbed this from Quakespasm. With FitzQuake Mark V's code being better because it is nice and refined and super-documented as far as changes go including marking every place where this code modification was made. LordHavoc wouldn't need that, of course, but still a simple text search shows the chain of changes required.]
        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Baker is very true.
          I remember that we discussed this point several weeks back.
          My only concern would be the other replacement stuffs, like world textures for example.
          Rogue uses almost all ID1 textures and then we would have to storage the replacement files on both mod folders ?
          Baker, as an engine coder will most probably find a way to achieve this, but simply:"dont pick stuff from other mod folders" will sure not work.
          How shall the engine decide which replacement stuff to pick and which not ?

Ashir,
          you can do what gdiddy62 suggests to get rid of your issue.
          But be aware that this:
          - will not be saved in your config and you have to do it each time (or put it into autoexec)
          - will prevent you from using modified .ent files for Hipnotic completely !

The only "evil" file is the "start.ent".
          The mission packs use the same name for their start map as ID1.

The maybe better solution:
          If there is NO start.ent file in your hipnotic maps folder, that is why DP used the file from ID1 (see Baker´s post from above).
          So simply use a start.ent file for hipnotics start map and you are all done.

I attached it for you below.

Have fun,
          Seven
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Seven View Post
            Baker is very true.
            I remember that we discussed this point several weeks back.
            My only concern would be the other replacement stuffs, like world textures for example.
            Rogue uses almost all ID1 textures and then we would have to storage the replacement files on both mod folders ?
            Wrong! general replacement textures aren't associated with any map or model.

These are associated with specific media:

start.lit
            start.ent
            quake/id1/start/muh_bad.tga
            quake/id1/progs/v_rock2_0.mdl.tga

And these aren't:

quake/id1/textures <---- is there a map name in that? Nope.

So if you put replacement TGA in quake/id1/textures, FitzQuake Mark V or Engine X would load them with -game rogue. Textures in id1/textures are not specific to a model or map!
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

What Baker says, also symlinks are an easy fix for that.
              Scout's Journey
              Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Hello Baker,

Ahh, I think I begin to understand...

But what with all the media depending replacements then ?
                Like monsters, weapons, powerups, items and everything else that is used in both mods.
                Do I need to put these replacement files in both mod folders then ?

What gb said is a very interesting idea.
                To use dummy “mirror”-files, which link to the other mod folder….

Anyway, very good ideas.

Comment

Ashir,
                  you can do what gdiddy62 suggests to get rid of your issue.
                  But be aware that this:
                  - will not be saved in your config and you have to do it each time (or put it into autoexec)
                  - will prevent you from using modified .ent files for Hipnotic completely !

The only "evil" file is the "start.ent".
                  The mission packs use the same name for their start map as ID1.

The maybe better solution:
                  If there is NO start.ent file in your hipnotic maps folder, that is why DP used the file from ID1 (see Baker´s post from above).
                  So simply use a start.ent file for hipnotics start map and you are all done.

I attached it for you below.

Have fun,
                  Seven
                  Well, that worked well. Now I wonder, using your mod pack in Quake and in MP2 there is fog in teleporters, but there is no fog in MP 1, even when I using your mod compilation... weird.

Comment

@ashir

to have this effect for the teleporters, you will need special ent files which add this effect.
                    it is not an effect that is added by the smc itself, but it is added through these ent files.

if you are using the ent files dafx had made for MP2/ROGUE, you will indeed have this effect in MP2 too cuz he too added this effect to the ent file of start map.

i myself made ent files for MP1, which add rain to all the maps of MP1:
                    http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...g-mp1-soa.html

they however do not include this slipgate effect, i personally feel the effect reminds a bit to much of old 80s B-horror movies so i didnt add the effect when i made the ent files.

but if you want i can make an ent file which adds this effect to slipgates of the start-map of hipnotic
                    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
                    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
                    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Hello Ashir,

Be aware that these additional "effects" you speak about must be added manualy.
                      You can add these kind of things everywhere you want and you can also change the visual to anything you like.
                      The "small mod compilation" only gives you the possibility to do so.
                      But doing them is handmade for every map and for every place in a map.

You will find example effects for e1m1, start and other maps in the download of the "small mod compilation".
                      Try them and see if you like them...

That beeing said, you are free to spawn fog or hearts or sparks or small shambler babies around the slipgates.
                      It is all up to you and your effect syntax.
                      Some time ago I had the idea of another slipgate effect, which I like more than the fog.
                      You will find it in this youtube clip (slipgate exit in E1M1):
                      [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oMlJv-xjLoc&feature=plcp]Quake-new-slipgate-and-MP2-powerups.avi - YouTube[/ame]

You will find a tutorial of how to add these things by yourself in this forum.
                      Maybe you have some freetime and want to play around with it.
                      It would be nice to have more people who make use of it and share their work. So others can benefit and we have a big pool of different things to pick from and learn from.

Best regards,
                      Seven

Comment

Originally posted by splitterface View Post
                        @ashir

to have this effect for the teleporters, you will need special ent files which add this effect.
                        it is not an effect that is added by the smc itself, but it is added through these ent files.

if you are using the ent files dafx had made for MP2/ROGUE, you will indeed have this effect in MP2 too cuz he too added this effect to the ent file of start map.

i myself made ent files for MP1, which add rain to all the maps of MP1:
                        http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...g-mp1-soa.html

they however do not include this slipgate effect, i personally feel the effect reminds a bit to much of old 80s B-horror movies so i didnt add the effect when i made the ent files.

but if you want i can make an ent file which adds this effect to slipgates of the start-map of hipnotic
                        Ehhh, you are right. Forget what I said in my last post.

What put smoke on teleporters in start map is this mod http://quakeone.com/forums/quake-mod...-overload.html

Somehow it's not working anymore in MP1...

Comment

No this mod does not bring the slipgate fog to hipnotics start map.
                          Look into its MP1.pk3 file (with winrar) and open the "maps" folder. You will see no "start.ent".
                          That means, that this mod does not touch the hipnotic start map.

Just like splitterface said: she is willing to implement the slipgate fog into the hipnotic start.ent for you if you want.
                          Go and say "YES" quickly, before she changes her mind

Comment

Hello Baker,

Ahh, I think I begin to understand...

But what with all the media depending replacements then ?
                            Like monsters, weapons, powerups, items and everything else that is used in both mods.
                            Do I need to put these replacement files in both mod folders then ?
                            id1 doesn't have flame nails or gremlins. Make a rogue.pk3 and a hipnotic.pk3 and tell the user to put mp1.pk3 in quake/rogue and mp2.pk3 to put quake/hipnotic and have the gremlin textures and flame nails textures in their respective paks.

You are depending on broken functionality that happens to work, but shouldn't.

I mean, right now you are telling people that they can't use external .ent files in DarkPlaces with your mod. Isn't that a hack? Isn't that breaking something?

It is already broke. It is already causing problems.
                            Last edited by Baker; 08-07-2012, 03:13 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
                              I mean, right now you are telling people that they can't use external .ent files in DarkPlaces with your mod. Isn't that a hack? Isn't that breaking something?
                              Hello Baker,

There maybe is a misunderstanding.
                              The mod is even extending the usage of external .ent files for weather, sound and other effects.
                              In fact the mod itself comes with some .ent file samples that the user can use if he wants these kind of effects in his Quake.

The trouble [which caused this thread] always only appears when people use the start.ent file from ID1 and want to play mission packs without an external start.ent.

This little file brought up so many threads/posts with the same topic.

I highly believe that the new replacement-code that you described would get rid of that small but annoying issue.
                              I wish LordHavoc would be around more often (just like all the other engine devs are)...

Thank you very much for your explanations Baker.

Comment

Working...
                              X