March 8th internet shutdown

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I agree. But about 6 months ago, I concluded the following:

1) I do not believe Microsoft will ever fix Windows malware/virus problems due to corporate/legacy users requiring compatibility.

2) Eventually people will not tolerate the virus-fest nature of Windows.

3) I've had a Mac 3 years, I love the damn thing. It sits there, works, doesn't require "attention", someone can use it and I don't need to worry they screwed it up.

4) Since Windows won't be fixed, bolt to most likely operating system to end up with decent market share in next 5 years. I personally think half of the tablet market (iPad, Samsung Galaxy, etc.) is due to people tired of dealing viruses -- I believe the lack of viruses on those platforms may eventually cripple the Windows market.

Consider this: What is the result of a virus or serious malware?

Your computer is inoperative. How is that different than a car that breaks down? It isn't really.

It pisses off non-computer literate people who just want it to work.

I understand "why" --- but eventually, I do not believe it will tolerated as more and more exposure to (particularly mobile/tablet) platforms that do not have issue.
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Lets go back to Usenet.

Comment

Essential reading: Another root exploit for linux | Scali's blog

I don't like this "Windows is broken" or "na na na I'm on Linux/Max/whatever" attitude. All operating systems are broken and all operating systems have security holes and exploits. The cause of the problem isn't the operating system - it's the idiot using it.
        IT LIVES! http://directq.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah I have to agree with that MH,

I've used everything from Mac to Linux and many flavors in between.

Linux is great, Windows is great, Mac are great(ya right .

The problem lies within the programming which was made by an error prone human.

Each operating system has pros and cons, It just so happens Windows has the market for malware and viruses (. When my Windows crashes or becomes a victim to mal-ware dew to how compatible it is I wipe it and Install Linux, if I come to a point where I need
          Windows for certain programs I format into windows.

I know about dual-booting and Linux within windows, not very interested in those options since Im still learning Linux I like to isolate any experiences with the OS to "within the OS it self". Meaning if something breaks in Linux I don't rush back to windows to look for a fix, I break out a good ole txt browser and search Google for a fix.

Personal preference on how you like your error messages.

Also I read somewhere that a Mac can be "broken" by a single command(Same for all OS though). So they all have crap about them and all have good points, it just depends on what tool you want to use to do your job.

did I effectively derail this thread yet?
          Last edited by Phenom; 02-25-2012, 11:59 AM. Reason: Real Quakers make spelling errors.
          QuakeOne.com
          Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
          Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
          Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

I haven't had a virus in longer than i can remember. I keep my AVG updated and I don't go to websites that are of a genre associated with ad/spy/mal ware. If I think a site I need to go to may be suspicious, I just turn off javascript in my browser.
            http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

I rarely got viruses on Windows, but when I did, they were catastrophic, and I don't care to run those memory resident bloatware virus suites in the background.

Everyone is different, but now that I've gotten used to Linux, the thought of going back to Windows makes me ill. There's just too much that is clunky and slow about it, not to mention the retarded directory structure.

Comment

Avast is awesome, has a small footprint too.
                Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

I use Security Essentials, it works like a dream. Before i had NOD32 which works also very good and needs not much resources, but i changed to SE because it's free for XP/Vista/7 Users. Of course you need a legal copy.

Comment

I'm curious of this, but i really disbelieve in it being a "Malware" however, i ain't read through everything yet.

But any instructions on deleting a ton of stuff is horseshit.

Windows, literarly in 99% of cases is registry edit, and unregistering dll files. Via, Safemode.

Chances are this is in relations to that bs, i read about "police not needing a warrant" to pickup isp's personal files on peoples internet.

An these that are in serious infingement via, copywrite and further, will be snatched up on the 8th.

(therefore they will loose net).

Others, will be fine, as to that whole "list of ips u gave" i'm clueless, to me it sounds like someone just got u to own your own windows, but i haven't looked at the instructions yet.

~Cheers.

Comment

I heard that deleting system32 will fix all these things, let's do that.

Comment

Originally posted by MH View Post
                        Essential reading: Another root exploit for linux | Scali's blog

I don't like this "Windows is broken" or "na na na I'm on Linux/Max/whatever" attitude. All operating systems are broken and all operating systems have security holes and exploits. The cause of the problem isn't the operating system - it's the idiot using it.
                        I supposed the other angle is Windows has a large installed base of many different versions in various states of being updated or not being updated with users using many different ways of administering their machine.

So in many ways this is a sign of long-term success and the ability for the user to use their own judgment on how to set things up and benefit/suffer from their own results.
                        Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

@ - I'm curious of this, but i really disbelieve in it being a "Malware" however

The FBI's own press release says it's malware (lol). The instructions for deletion just say to delete a bunch of folders and files that are very obviously 3rd party, then to delete some registry stuff that is also 3rd party.

I didn't even have one single file on my computer that the instructions said to delete. So, if it's some scam - it must not be a very effective one. I posted sources to everything - news, FBI press releases, removal instructions - there really isn't anything to doubt.
                          http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Yeah no, that does seem legit.

However it seems like it's more for windows XP, users, and chances are they infected computers with these rougue dns servers by distrobuting free xp distro's would be my guess.

I'm not affected, already compared the ip tables, i'm not going as far as removing registry enteries in that file, because i'm confident that mine are fine.

An i don't wanna sit there comparing enteries, b/c it will take too long.

Anyways, interesting post.

According to these articles you posted though the fbi replaced the rogue dns server's computers with legit servers, that take infected people to the proper site now, it just doesn't remove "the infected" computers malware.

Interesting news though.

Comment

Working...
                            X