Scarecrow's DarkPlaces

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scarecrow's DarkPlaces

Scarecrow has posted some high quality and very elegant looking DarkPlaces screenshots in the photo gallery.

View them at:

http://www.quakeone.com/index.php?in...to_show&ida=13

DarkPlaces home page:

http://icculus.org/twilight/darkplaces/
    Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

I tried DarkPlaces. I still think QRack looks better. Plus Darkplaces doesn't have the cool looking monster models. It also has a TON of weird commands and stuff in the video that I just do not feel like messing with. It should have a button you press like in QRack for all high-detail stuff.

Edit --> Argh: I clicked the wrong button in admin mode. Baker
    Last edited by Baker; 03-24-2006, 07:43 PM.

Comment

Plus Darkplaces doesn't have the cool looking monster models. It also has a TON of weird commands
      Darkplaces is able to use custom monster models.

In my experience, it is somewhat difficult to track down information on the internet to get DarkPlaces looking optimal. I *know* I saw this once on the Nexuiz board (Nexuiz and DarkPlaces are the same engine) contributed by a user, but then they changed hosts or the board system. It may still be around somewhere.

DarkPlaces looks really sharp on many custom maps, one example is Nehahra where it looks fantastic on some the levels just using the default settings.
      Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

I've been meaning to ask some of the darkplaces fans here if they would be willing to type up some info for a newb friendly guide on it. Info like what the main features are, how to install and important commands/settings and such. PM me if one of you guys is interested.
        uakene.com

Comment

How did I miss this thread till just now?

DarkPlaces can basically do damn near anything and then some (deluxe maps, relief mapping anyone ?).

Also those same shots in full 1600x1200 can be found at http://scar3crow.circa1984.com/quakeshots

All I do for DarkPlaces to make it look good is run it honestly. I use Romi's rtlights and play with rtlights enabled if I know the gameplay isnt going to be too fast (singleplayer), in the Graphics menu I have blur turned on but at a low level. These screenshots are a result of just those things at 1600x1200. It defaults to the 32bpp.

I plan on eventually getting at least one shot of the sort for every id map just to showcase them, and if I can get rtlights for good user maps (Antideluvian would look brilliant with cubemaps) then those as well.
          Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

RT Lights site: http://www.kgbsyndicate.com/romi/

I've always thought this was a great screenshot of real time lighting. It is a Quake 3 map, DarkPlaces is able to load Quake 3 maps.

Comment

The uber-l33t programmer scar3crow should make a darkplaces engine

Comment

The uber-l33t programmer would be LordHavoc. I am merely a fan of his work, here take a look at what hes doing with texture rendering these days http://peeves.noobgrinder.com/texturelineup.jpg

Im a design theorist, with some simple concept of as to how programming occurs, but only on a gameplay level, not on an engine level. If I do any coding at all it will be in QC to make simple changes for myself.
                Inside3d - Because you can't be Outside 3D!

Comment

I meant not a darkplaces engine, but a darkplaces LAUNCHER . DOH!!

Comment

A launcher isn't necessary for to configure dp, as everything including video modes is done through the menus. It's the second quake engine to do this (the first was HeffoQuake)

-width 1024 -window -bpp 32 be gone!

Comment

Just tried out darkplaces. It's tight but still laggish on my computer.

Comment

I'll try DP again. I've tried it before, and I still think QRACK looks and runs much better.

Comment

That's because you're a midget redneck

Comment

hah! he's short and loves his sister in a not so brotherly sorta way
                            Inside3D - Wocka-Wocka-Wocka

Comment

You guys are mean. All Monster tries to do is increase his power and give out word for Metal. Is that really so bad? Infact that was the first post I've seen him make that didn't involve the two. We should give him a cookie.

Comment

Working...
                              X