Imma make my own Q1 site cuz I'm ban3d

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yanno, i been thinking the same lately.

wouldnt it be possible to make something for quake like IDE and doomseeker do for doom-clients?

a simple program which lists all servers with players on those servers and some other server-info like mod running and such,
    and you can link it up to your preferred client and if you double-click a server it starts your client and connects you to that server?
    are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
    > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
    everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

~Talisa
      Sort of, but I find that doom seeker is far too primitive for any real sense of personality.

I've been pretty busy today, but I think I know how this could work. Possibly even add to help quake as a whole.

Well, I'm going to stop being lazy and get this done. Drop me a message if you have any ideas/suggestions. I'll start a thread once I have some major ideas down.

Edit : But that alone would be good for now.
      Last edited by OMacKnight; 10-12-2013, 03:25 PM.
      twitch
      wew lad

Comment

see Quakelive for example of needed Quake1 transition.

We need that, legally though. Bethesda/Id software blessing or else it wont be on Quakeone.com ! I think if we have a Quakelive approach to getting players on servers we'd see way more players.

even if all of them are called player <- haha
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

bit primitive in how it looks perhaps

but it has everything you need.
          shows which client server is running,
          max players and player with names and teams they're on,
          name of server,
          server-adress,
          main wad,
          map currently being played,
          any additional wads you need,
          and game-mode that is running on server.

pretty much all of these options would be about the same for quake-servers.
          only quake doesnt use wads but instead mods, so it could show mod server is running instead of which wad its running
          are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
          everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

Tab based interface; each tab providing a seperate screen allowing for seperate types of things.

FORUM | Simple, this is the tab that shows a redesigned q1.com. No frills, probably has ad space. This could make for revenue without going against iD/bethesda's license.

PLAY | A tab that you click, and you get two displays, a set of drop down boxes to configure server settings and a space where servers are shown. You can single click to bring up a player list and info on the server. double to join. (This should be customisable to the users need and will display in a way that is comfortable for them.)

PROFILE | Stat tracking, tournament tracking, whatever. This is the place where you can do all your profile/avatar guff. Perhaps a badge system based on how well you perform in game and badges for doing community based things. (Monthly mapping contest perhaps?)

MOD | You can load mods, make mods, eat mods. This is where you can browse and upload various mods, maps and such.

NEWS | So what tournaments are happening now? This is a tab to highlight what's going on right now. New server going up? There will be a post there, new map? There we go. Contest for the coolest gun? Right there.

OPTIONS | This will have quake (I'm thinking of asking around to see what client people would want) installed. So here is where you configure in game settings. Perhaps all the free to use guff can come along with the installation, and a file search option (perhaps Steam users shouldn't have to muck about for once, maybe make it find it if you own it on steam, like how Zandronum and such will search for doom, that shouldn't be difficult.)) But yeah, options screen.

This is just a really fast, primitive concept I'm writing whilst cleaning up. But I plan to impliment a lot more than just "here is a server, here you go, enjoy". Because although that's probably all most older quake players really care for, I want to try and pull people into quake. Not alienate them with something that just looks old. I'm sure I'm going to get flak for saying it like this. But I am rather busy and don't have time to really think too much.

Anway, suggestsions, thoughts. Am I just being a naive fool? Go. Please?

(oh, and I know it does the job, but we need something to pull people in, not just do the job for those who would be playing it anyway)
            Last edited by OMacKnight; 10-13-2013, 03:45 AM.
            twitch
            wew lad

Comment

I could build all of that in AIR. All of it, but I'm not going to.

This will have quake (I'm thinking of asking around to see what client people would want) installed.
              skip that and have the user enter the full path of their engine on the local machine. I don't know if we are on the exact same page, but my interpretation of this would be an RIA on the users machine that is coordinating all of this and displaying the data. So, there is really no reason to ask people about certain preferences, because it can be very generic and allow the user to customize it locally.
              http://www.nextgenquake.com

Comment

Originally posted by MadGypsy View Post
                I could build all of that in AIR. All of it, but I'm not going to.

skip that and have the user enter the full path of their engine on the local machine. I don't know if we are on the exact same page, but my interpretation of this would be an RIA on the users machine that is coordinating all of this and displaying the data. So, there is really no reason to ask people about certain preferences, because it can be very generic and allow the user to customize it locally.
                That would make more sense.
                twitch
                wew lad

Comment

yes thats what i was thinking to

dont include a quake-client but let people direct the program to the executable of their preferred quake-engine, so that its universal

Comment

The only reason for the thought was because of mod support. :v
                    twitch
                    wew lad

Comment

Gamespy 3D has Quake, so does Qview and that asshat who hexedited it and called it his own "insert forgotten name".

Stats are supplied by GameStatus.net - LIVE Real time game server and player stats

GameStatus Player Stats

give it time it loads slow

http://www.gamestatus.net/find.cgi?g...ion=serversort
                      Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 10-13-2013, 03:33 PM.
                      Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

@omac
                        doesnt every quake client support mods?

Comment

@Talisa - I think Mac meant "supported" mods. For instance, make a DP specific mod and try and run it in ProQuake... It ain't gonna work.

Mac if you are serious about making this interface, you should look into AIR. It is far easier to set-up and use than C and it is just as powerful... or let me say you would be hard pressed to find something you can make in C(??) that you can't make in AIR.

If you're interested I can help you get set up in a couple of clicks. The editor I use does everything for you upon install. You just have to check the right install options. The editor is VERY powerful too, like Notepad++ on steroids. You can also compile AIR to exe, so you basically end up with the same results you would have had if you just did it in C but with WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY less programming. I could give you some classes too. Like talking to php, sockets, etc..

not this kind of classes

this kind
                          Code:
                          package com.gypsy
                          {
                          	import flash.events.EventDispatcher

public class Summin extends EventDispatcher
                          	{
                          		public function Summin():void
                          		{	//constructor

}
                          	}
                          }
                          Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-13-2013, 05:59 PM.

Comment

ah, i see...

perhaps you could add an extra tab in the program for that just like doomseeker has?
                            a tab which is called 'client' and which'll show an icon of the client if its a client-specific mod.

and that you could link multiple clients to the program,
                            one for general play which runs if you connect to a server which runs a mod which'll work in any client,
                            and several other clients which get booted instead if the player wants to connect to servers which are client-specific?

so that if you connect to a server with a generic mod it boots up your preferred engine,
                            but if the player connects to a server with a client-specific mod the program will instead start the client required for the mod running

and that if you dont have the required client for a mod installed the program will give a pop-up saying something like
                            you cannot connect to this server, 'this client' is required for the mod running on this server
                            if you do have this client, click FIND button to browse for client on your machine
                            if you do not have the client, click SITE to open up the website of the client
                            or click CANCEL to return to the program
                            and have 3 buttons on the pop-up, FIND & SITE & CANCEL
                            FIND will open up a browser-window through which you can link the client to the program
                            SITE will open up the page where you can download the client for the mod
                            CANCEL will just make the message go away and allow you to pick another server to connect to
                            Last edited by talisa; 10-14-2013, 02:54 AM.

Comment

Flashdevelop? ;P

I plan to grab it anyway, I'll have to PM you some time about that since I've got the time to spare. Probably thursday.

If you can send me a list of things I /should/ be able to do if I want to do this. Just a simplified list, then I can get on with it.

But also, I can get away with this as college work is I integrate it with my webdesign module later in the year (or next year, I forget).
                              twitch
                              wew lad

Comment

Holy fuckin crap I'm pissed. I just wrote up all this info for you and it got swallowed by my browser due to not knowing that I had lost a connection before sending. FUCXK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am not going to let this mother fucker win. I am going to write it all AGAIN.

:sigh:...FUCK!

1) Download and install Java SE Runtime Environment 7u40 FD needs this to operate

2) download and install NetFX20SP2 the FLEX/AIR compilers need this to operate

3) download Flash Develop

3a) On the flash develop install screen make sure these options (and no others) are checked and install it

*install FLEX SDK
                                *install AIR SDK

+Shortcuts
                                * whatever you want, it don't matter

+Language
                                *no changes

+Advanced
                                *Standalone/Portable
                                *Multi Instance Mode

That is all for getting FD set up.

Advanced:

If you want to run a local server so you can test the online stuff locally this is what you do.

1) Download portable xampp (7zip) or (zip)

2) extract it somewhere.

3) Open C:/windows/system32/drivers/etc/hosts and add a line like this and save it. Note: on win 7+ you have to do this as an admin

Code:
                                127.0.0.1 quakesite.com
                                4) open C:/xampp/apache/conf/extra/httpd-vhost.conf

add something like this and save it

Code:
                                <VirtualHost *:80>
                                    DocumentRoot "/xampp/htdocs/quakesite/bin"
                                    ServerName quakesite.com
                                    ServerAlias www.dummy-host2.localhost
                                </VirtualHost>
                                5) open flash develop and start an AIR project named "quakesite", put it in xampp/htdocs/quakesite

Now, what did you just do? Simple, you told your computer that you have a local server named quakesite and it's root is your FD quakesite project bin folder. Why the bin folder? Cause that's where FD puts your compiled data.

If you start xampp and your browser you can navigate to quakesite.com and your browser will navigate to your bin folder internally. YOu can treat that folder just like a site root. Dump php, javascrip0t, html, css, whatever in there and access it all with quakesite.com.

Other things to note:

www matters. notice I didn't use a www anywhere. This means unless you add it, you can't use www either. Also, "quakesite" can be whatever the hell you want but if you change it, you have to change it in every spot I mentioned it.

Aside:

This is a powerful set-up. FD recognizes php, javascript, html, xml, css... all your most common web languages. So by setting up this way you can use FD for everything. There is like nothing that you can't do or build with this set up. Your options range from a simple html page to an entire native system application with rich internet capabilities. It's pretty bad-ass, bro.

Edit: Oh, no programmer should be without their language and components reference

edit 2: The FLEX and AIR SDKs are HUGE! If you have llimited bandwidth I would highly recommend going to a coffee shop or something to let FD download them. Seriously, it's over a gig of stuff. That's 1/5th of my entire monthly bandwidth . I had to go the rest of the month being careful as to what I do online just so I could maintain my highspeed bandwidth.
                                Last edited by MadGypsy; 10-14-2013, 12:22 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X