No announcement yet.

Damn this is what we need.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Here's something new: Adding normal and specular maps to normal Quake.

Low-res textures, higher res normal/specular maps, shadowless rtlights.

You can get semi-decent normal maps out of the vanilla textures, if you creatively apply some Gaussian Blur. The same goes for specular maps.

Diffuse maps: 64x64 pixels, standard Quake resolution (TGA)

Normal maps: 512x512

Specular: 512x512 (might try 64x64 here actually, perhaps)

1 rtlight, shadowless

1 particle flame (FTE particle system)

Specularity has been overdone for demonstration purposes. Uses q3bsp.

Last edited by golden_boy; 07-25-2014, 03:25 PM.
    Scout's Journey
    Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

interesting idea, adding additional fancy maps to the original textures

surprisingly looks quite neat actually imo GB

low-res and low-def but still a lil touch of fancy
      are you curious about what all there is out there in terms of HD content for quake?
      > then make sure to check out my 'definitive' HD replacement content thread! <
      everything that is out there for quake and both mission-packs, compiled into one massive thread

Comment

oh ya centerfolded!
        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-25-2014, 08:28 PM.
        Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
          Here's something new: Adding normal and specular maps to normal Quake...
          That's an interesting effect and could subtly enhance "vanilla" Quake without making it so different that it upsets the Quake purists. Is that something that would have to be built/coded in to the map itself or something that could be added in a similar way to a lit or texture file after the map has been produced? Also how difficult is it to produce?

Kind regards

Monty
          Mr.Burns
          "Helping to keep this community friendly, helpful, and clean of spammers since 2006"
          WWW: Quake Terminus , QuakeVoid You Tube: QuakeVoid
          Servers: Quake.shmack.net, damage.servequake.com

News: JCR's excellent ctsj_jcr map is being ported to OOT

Comment

Nicely done GB! Seeing those pics really makes me want to invest in a better PC build.

And BloodShot...totally sweet. Very nice reproduction of the textures.
            'Replacement Player Models' Project

Comment

Originally posted by Dutch View Post
              Nicely done GB! Seeing those pics really makes me want to invest in a better PC build.

And BloodShot...totally sweet. Very nice reproduction of the textures.
              It doesn't take a NASA super computer to run CryEngine 3... Also consider this, every next gen API for PC is going 'closer to metal' coding.

MANTLE ~ AMD's new API kicks major fucking ass,I've tested it in 3 enviroments and it kicks the snot out of DX11.1, I can't vouch for DX11.2 but based on the fact DX12 will be following the same concept, clearly Mantle has shaken up the status quo!

DX12 ~ Going to be released in 2015, also going direct to metal API.

Metal ~ Apple's very own direct to metal. Noticing a trend being set?

DirectX 12, Metal, Mantle... Low-level gaming API market is getting a bit Mental! - Developer Tech

2014 is definitely the year of Low-Level API's , which once its all said and done, PC Gaming is in for a huge over haul. OpenGL to remain a viable alternative to the monstrosities of API's that are incoming? Who knows, but I know that OpenGL has its work cut out for it.
              Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr.Burns View Post
                That's an interesting effect and could subtly enhance "vanilla" Quake without making it so different that it upsets the Quake purists. Is that something that would have to be built/coded in to the map itself or something that could be added in a similar way to a lit or texture file after the map has been produced? Also how difficult is it to produce?

Kind regards

Monty

One would need normal and specular maps for all the vanilla Quake textures. The process requires quite a bit of knowledge. You can't use Crazy Bump for the normal maps in this case, you have to do the blur and overlay stuff manually in Gimp or PS. Making specular maps requires even more knowledge - different materials have different coloured highlights, for example. The actual work isn't hard, but the required learning may be.

For the rtlights, well, there are already rtlight files for the Quake maps but you'd not use the shadowing (r_shadow_realtime_world_shadows 0), you'd use shadowless rtlights in order to not overpower the lightmaps. It just looks more decent.

Particles is the hardest part, someone would have to create a 100% faithful particle cfg for vanilla Quake. This requires making some particle images and tweaking FTE's / Darkplaces' particle scripts until it looks right. Something for a long winter :-p

None of this requires any coding or touching the actual map files.
                Scout's Journey
                Rune of Earth Magic

Comment

Completely forgot that my old Quake name was Decimate.. doh! Oops.

Mindz - did you see that NVIDIA is going to be using Mantle, too? At least AMD has opened support so they can use it...

Comment

You know, roughly about 2 hours ago I read your post Deigo. A returning Quake can only be trumped by one thing apparently, PC Gaming hardware o_O

WELCOME BACK DEIGO, infinitely more important than every article I just read.

Comment

Originally posted by Deigo View Post
                      Completely forgot that my old Quake name was Decimate.. doh! Oops.

Mindz - did you see that NVIDIA is going to be using Mantle, too? At least AMD has opened support so they can use it...
                      Hmm Deigo i dont think thats true...?

I found an article on maxium pc (Nvidia Takes on Mantle with Enhanced DX11 Driver | Maximum PC) with this chart

or if you want watch this
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2kIUerD4c
                      www.quakeone.com/qrack | www.quakeone.com/cax| http://en.twitch.tv/sputnikutah

Comment

Originally posted by R00k View Post
                        Hmm Deigo i dont think thats true...?

I found an article on maxium pc (Nvidia Takes on Mantle with Enhanced DX11 Driver | Maximum PC) with this chart

or if you want watch this
                        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2kIUerD4c
                        I what he was meaning was Nvidia isn't locked out of supporting Mantle. Unlike Nvidia has done with GameWorks, which is basically a tool set of pre-configured goodies that when a game dev uses, optimizes the game specifically for Nvidia hardware and essentially locks out AMD hardware from running well on that exact same code. Thats the basic gist of it hah.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fZGV5z8YFM8]No BS 226: Interview with AMD Graphics Guru Richard Huddy - YouTube[/ame]

AMD calls out Nvidia for foul play
                        AMD Calls Nvidia Program "A Clear And Present Threat To Gamers"
                        Nvidia Answers here
                        [ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aG2kIUerD4c]Nvidia Responds to AMD's Cheating Allegations (No BS Podcast 229) - YouTube[/ame]

ps : Just read/google this AMD Nvidia "Watch Dogs" and you'll come to realize that both companies sense the waters been chummed & they can sense the blood in the water. I would imagine that the guy @Ubisoft who said "Sure, we'll get on board with GameWorks" is kicking himself in the teeth right about now. What a PR nightmare lol, and Ubisoft stuck right in the middle of that shit. OH BOY!
                        Last edited by Mindf!3ldzX; 07-28-2014, 04:21 AM.

Comment

more on the subject , cuz honestly who isn't interested in this shit! Any PC Gamer should be interested in their future's

Nvidia Playing Dirty With GameWorks - Semi-Propriety Nature May Pose Serious Danger to AMD, Dev&#039;s Power Diluted.

Why 'Watch Dogs' Is Bad News For AMD Users -- And Potentially The Entire PC Gaming Ecosystem - Forbes

Comment

Originally posted by golden_boy View Post
                            It is Cryengine.

Most of the effect comes from the fact that the textures are actually not misaligned in this version, and that there is pretty lighting. It's not so much the engine, it's more the tidy construction, nice textures and lighting that make the difference. People generally overestimate the importance of the engine in making good looking environments.

Here's FTE for comparison:

Admittedly, FTE can't top the Cryengine - yet. The shadowmaps aren't quite perfect, and there is no HDR. The top shot also shows a bug with normalmap orientation that existed at the time. But these things can be fixed - it is possible to extend FTE with GLSL to make it do almost anything.

What I'm getting at is that it's possible to get these kinds of graphics out of a Quake engine these days. At the cost of some effort, but possible it is. And on top of that, you get Quakeworld's proven netcode and crossplatform capability and all the goodies that come with open source.

The main problem with the Quake maps, from a graphics perspective, is that they suffer from a lot of texture misalignment, and arguably some less than ideal use of the textures. We tried to fix this in RMQ, but we didn't exactly get a lot of support from the community for it.

Anyway, it's totally possible.

Lol if you think FTE is even close to CryEngine status because you posted a few low res shots

Most of those taken on Crysis 1, which came out nearly 7 years ago.

Comment

7 years ago, damn.

At first those screenshots looked like real pictures. It's truly amazing how graphics have progressed over the years.
                              Make no mistakes here... I'm not a mere madman... I'm a realist!

Comment

"CryTek" ohh nice nick... :p
                                the invasion has begun! hide your children, grab the guns, and pack sandwiches.

syluxman2803

Comment

Working...
                                X