Rant against EZInstallers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Baker View Post
    Or as Canadian Sniper mentioned, you could have used the DarkPlaces .pk3.
    Although I'll admit that I probably mentioned that, I definitely never mentioned that in this thread ;P

Comment

Comment

Spook, instead of complaining about no zip download why not make a .zip of slide or whatever and contribute it to the website
        "If we fight for money I'll stop hitting you when you ask me to. If we fight for honor, I'll stop hitting you when I feel like it." - Rickson Gracie

Comment

Originally posted by mithril View Post
          Spook, instead of complaining about no zip download why not make a .zip of slide or whatever and contribute it to the website
          But thats the thing, Spook doesn't have slide at all, and the only way for him to get it would be the EZ installer.

My opinion, EZ installers don't bother me as long as they don't interfere with anything else, namely other files and folders.

Comment

Originally posted by ORL View Post
            But thats the thing, Spook doesn't have slide at all, and the only way for him to get it would be the EZ installer.

But ORL, the download page has the home page of the mod in the description on the download page.

Not using that information is a choice.

Spooker doesn't want to use the EZ Installer or take 2 seconds to go to the home page provided in the download description and get the zip.

That's just lazy.
            Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Originally posted by Baker View Post
              Spooker doesn't want to use the EZ Installer or take 2 seconds to go to the home page provided in the download description and get the zip.
              While your at it why don't you install the mod for him and play a few maps for him also Then comes his nap time and after that snack time and then recess!

Spooker, I don't see why you are actn like a ass-shat but the un-ezinstaller'd version for slide is pretty easy dude, its right there below the original heh.

I should know I actually followed the link that goes to the Slidemod website and downloaded it

It was quite nice.

So if you don't like the ez-Installer, the bigboy(veteran) method to installing the mod is right below the EZ stuff.

I myself don't prefer Baker's EZ installers, I usually test them out for him but ultimatly take the time to uninstall them when I am finished with them. Just like cleaning your room you can also do PC clean up unless you just don't do that kind of thing.. eewwuuu

Hey Spooker, C*S and me wanna play some WC3 co-op, you down?
              QuakeOne.com
              Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
              Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
              Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

i have no problem with the ezinstallers at all, they are excellent actually, and i dont uninstall anything, the map installers are great, after i install them i just leave it, if i do need to delete anything (which is very rare) i just do it manually.

i trust baker and all downloads from this site. u whiners should know better. why should i manually unzip something and put it into id/maps when I can have an utility do it for me in 10 secs which points to the right directory? this is excellent for the newbies who are often discouraged and quit the game just because they can't figure out where the maps go.

as for slide, i grabbed the ezinstaller ran it and in a few seconds i was on the server. no problem with it at all.

thanks baker for all your superb work , keep it up!
                Last edited by Paradi$e; 11-23-2007, 01:01 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Phenom View Post
                  I should know I actually followed the link that goes to the Slidemod website and downloaded it

It was quite nice.
                  the files that the slide official website links to are not the files for slide. they are some skins for quake 2, so you're obviously talking out of your vagina here phenom. regardless, you have to wait up to half an hour to download them, and by that time most people would lose interest in the mod. i dont think we should rely on the official websites to host mods, just for reasons like this. many of these mods were made by people who forgot about them years ago. EZinstallers are great, but i still wish you'd host the zip files alongside them baker

Comment

Originally posted by spooker View Post
                    EZinstallers are great, but i still wish you'd host the zip files alongside them baker
                    Originally posted by mithril View Post
                    WHOOPSIES!!!

Comment

In fact, there is a .zip of slide on the website. It's in the Darkplaces pk3 section. The slide .pk3 isn't really a .pk3, it's a zip file. Oops.
                      e|------------------------0---------------
                      B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                      G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                      D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                      A|---------------0------------------------
                      E|----------------------------------------

Comment

the files that the slide official website links to are not the files for slide. they are some skins for quake 2, so you're obviously talking out of your vagina here phenom.
                        Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
                        In fact, there is a .zip of slide on the website. It's in the Darkplaces pk3 section. The slide .pk3 isn't really a .pk3, it's a zip file. Oops.
                        Oops.
                        QuakeOne.com
                        Quake One Resurrection

QuakeOne.com/qrack
                        Great Quake engine

Qrack 1.60.1 Ubuntu Guide
                        Get Qrack 1.60.1 running in Ubuntu!

Comment

EZinstallers are great, but i still wish you'd host the zip files alongside them baker
                          I will add a Slide .zip to the downloads section if ...

#1 You make it
                          #2 You type up the instructions for it and post them in this thread

I do understand where you are coming from. Once you do the above, you will see where I am coming from in the case of Slide.
                          Quakeone.com - Being exactly one-half good and one-half evil has advantages. When a portal opens to the antimatter universe, my opposite is just me with a goatee.

So while you guys all have to fight your anti-matter counterparts, me and my evil twin will be drinking a beer laughing at you guys ...

Comment

Why is everyone ignoring the fact that the slide .pk3 in the Darkplaces .pk3 mods section is not really a .pk3 and is a zip file? This needs fixed!

.pk3 here: http://files.filefront.com/slidepk3/.../fileinfo.html

Simple instructions for Slide .zip:
                            Make a folder called Slide in your Quake folder. Copy your autoexec.cfg and config.cfg files from ID1 to the Slide folder (this prevents having to reconfigure Quake for the mod).

To use the slide mod, make a second shortcut of Quake on the desktop and add this to the command line in the properties of the shortcut on the Shortcut tab: -game slide (your normal command line switches such as -width, -height, -bpp, -mem, etc).
                            e|------------------------0---------------
                            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
                            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
                            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
                            A|---------------0------------------------
                            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

Now we are getting somewhere.

That's an incredibly amazing amount of bullshit just to play Slide, don't ya think? No one is going to casually do that. No one. Therefore it is not useful to get someone to play because it is way too difficult.

With the installer, it's just click and go.

(btw --Thanks for posting instructions, FOQ.)

Comment

thats why i used the installer, i dont want to do all that (although I knew how).

Comment

Working...
                                X