X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy

Hello to all,

I played Quake in Highschool about ten years ago. then I got into MMORPGs. Recently for some reason MMORPGs have hit rock bottom and cant get thier act together and I remembered how much fun this was. I also remember that I quit playing this because of cheaters and third party programs. So what I would like to do is start my own server with my 10 or so freinds that I know IRL that wont cheat and really dont know how to. Except theres one thing. I havent played this in 10 years and dont even remember simple commands. I'm hoping theres someone out there who wouldnt mind helping me out with detailed info on how to d/l the right patches etc, and setup my own server with more than 4 players allowed, or at the least point me in the right direction.

Comment

• Got the Quake CD off ebay in 1999. First MP connection was to a co-op server using Q-spy I think. From there stuck with CTF mostly. Played on hating , and Pirahanna (was an admin near the end) and Lucasweb on the Westcoast sometimes. My original nick was Tekno, and some kids wanted me in their clan after I helped them win a dm7 ctf game , so I became Tekno+[skillz]. The clan leader was Demon, there was another guy called PEZ, and later Ronski joined up, who was our only lpb, and subsequently our best player. we got bored and challenged clan RUM to a match...we were fish in a barrel for them but they were kool and said gg. We split up after someone stole my nick and cursed them all out on another server...lol. From there I found CTFBOT+ which is a CTF modification which uses robot players against humans. Learned some Quake-C and made my own modifications to the code, as : Tekbotctf+ and had it on a server, ctfbot.mtown.com for a while, but by then the cheaters had ruined Quake. That was near 2002-2003. Other aliases I used were Cobalt, Arkon, Foolkiller, Deathlok, Challenger, Supertek.

Am still modifying Tekbotctf+ and hope to have it hosted on a HDZ server , and maybe get the website updated and moved.

Comment

• I started playing Quake in the fall of 1996 after my little brother discovered the game. I spent my first year in HPB hell before taking off for college in the fall of 2007 where I had access to a T1 connect. Played on most all of the east coast DM/CR servers until about 2001 or so.

My most notable clan affiliation would be Nightbreed (mentioned in this article on the history of Clanring).

I think I stopped playing online around mid-2001 and only played Frogbots offline until about 2003. I never could get into Quake 2 after falling in love with the gameplay and physics of Quake 1. Eventually I gave Quake 3 a shot and really enjoyed it, however, didn't spend nearly as much time playing it as I had spent playing Quake 1.

After basically a 5-6 year hiatus I recently fired up Quake 1 again on a very old PC which I don't even have connected to the internet atm (my current computer is an Apple which I've been using for the past 5 years) and I'm basically just rocking vanilla 4v4 team matches on dm3 using the Frogbot Holywars bot.

I'm very tempted to get a solid cheap PC running to play some online Quake again. I'm glad to see there are still people playing netquake online...and also very psyched to see someone has been working on updating ProQuake.

Comment

• Originally posted by crowpath View Post
          I'm very tempted to get a solid cheap PC running to play some online Quake again. I'm glad to see there are still people playing netquake online...and also very psyched to see someone has been working on updating ProQuake.
          You would not be disappointed if you did,looking forward to seeing you in the server's
          Want to get into playing Quake again? Click here for the Multiplayer-Startup kit! laissez bon temps rouler!

Comment

• You don't need another pc for quake if you already have one.
            e|------------------------0---------------
            B|---------------0^1----------------1----
            G|---------------2------2------0^2-------
            D|---------------2-------2--2-------------
            A|---------------0------------------------
            E|----------------------------------------

Comment

• Originally posted by the_f0qer View Post
              You don't need another pc for quake if you already have one.
              Yeah, you would think that this would be true, however, the PC I currently have sitting around my house was considered slow even back in like 2000. If I bothered to get it hooked up to the internet it would most likely work okay but I've been tempted to spend a few hundred or so to get a PC dedicated to Quake, Q3, and maybe a little Diablo 2. I normally use an Apple Powerbook on a day to day basis for everything else.

Comment

• well there's, Macintosh like quake clients ... unless Ive been deceived all these years into thinking Apple and Macintosh are the same company but aren't...?

Comment

• Originally posted by metchsteekle View Post
                  well there's, Macintosh like quake clients ... unless Ive been deceived all these years into thinking Apple and Macintosh are the same company but aren't...?
                  I have a one button mouse on my Mac/Apple/Banana......no thanks.

EDIT: Well, unless anyone knows of a dope 3-5 button mouse for apple.

Comment

• It shouldn't matter... mac uses the same I/O perhipials as windows based machines... any old mouse should be fine

Comment

• Originally posted by crowpath View Post
                      I have a one button mouse on my Mac/Apple/Banana......no thanks.

EDIT: Well, unless anyone knows of a dope 3-5 button mouse for apple.
                      oh yeah, forgot about the lone mouse button on those, ugh who's the idiot who decided you didn't need right click? i hope he got fired real good.

Comment

• The general opinion about the one button mouse is whoever designed Mac being cocky... "our operating system is so easy to use you only need one button"

Comment

• one button mouses has been one of the crippling aspects of macintoshes and something they've known they should fix for over a decade, yet have decided to be stubborn about. now they have mouses with scrolly trackball type things, and i think mebbe some with a right button though i think it only does a double click and doesn't really do anything different from the left but anyone feel free to correct me.

metchie, apple is the company, macintosh is their longstanding line of computer systems

Comment

• It's simple really, don't use a mouse.....doesn't hold me back!

Comment

• You can use basicly any USB mouse with your mac. As long has it has an USB port that is. I myself use a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3 with my iMac. Using it with ProQuake 3.99 for OS X(the Macintosh operating system) I can use all 5 mouse buttons. So give it a spin on the mac.

Comment

• Originally posted by Claws View Post
                                You can use basicly any USB mouse with your mac. As long has it has an USB port that is. I myself use a Microsoft Intellimouse Explorer 3 with my iMac. Using it with ProQuake 3.99 for OS X(the Macintosh operating system) I can use all 5 mouse buttons. So give it a spin on the mac.
                                Hey, thanks for the tip. I'll look into getting that mouse for my mac. I'm anxious to get playing online again.

Comment

Working...
                                X